• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

El Dorado: City of Gold - No Power

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

So my El Dorado was having reset issues so I head over to pinwiki to start the usual GTB SYS80 upgrades, and start by reading the section on resets and it talks to necessary upgrades on the power board.

So I order all the necessary parts get to replacing, feeling good, parts are coming off easy, following all the steps, have the exact parts I need, replace everything, tone everything out, put it back in the game, flip the power switch and nothing.

The game is now DOA, nothing turns on, no lights, not nothing. I know I have power at the line cord as I can plug something into the service outlet and get power, tested the main fuses, all fine, so obviously, I've messed something up, but what??!!

I repinned all the header pins and connectors, so I have to assume when I repined the connectors that I must have put a wire in the wrong place, can't explain why I would have 0 power otherwise.

If someone has some ideas on how to trace this down I'd really appreciate it.

Guess I'll have to order the manuals from Mr. Young since go forbid he allow them up on IPDB.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Ground from where? I added in the ground mods, but don't seem to have any voltage at all on the board anywhere.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Yep, both of them.

The main line fuse at where the cord enters the cab, and the fuse of the main block in the center of the cabinet.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
You know that the power supply is getting juice, but what about the lines coming out of it? Does anything change if you unplug connectors from the power supply to the rest of the game, and put them back one at a time? Without schematics it's a guess as to what goes where. Someone around here has to have a set...

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
GOD DAMMIT! I hate being DUMB!

So since I have working games folded, I decided to fold this non-working game while waiting for a friend of mine to get back to me with pictures of the connectors from the power board just so I could verify if I had made a mistake when I repinned them.

Got the pics today, so decided to unfold the game without putting the legs on to verify the connectors.

Checked it out and everything was good, so I figured what the hell I'll try plugging it in again and see whats up.

Flip the power switch and she lights up.....

I was like WTF, and then I opened up the coin door to add a ball in to see if I had actually fixed my reset problem and the entire game goes dark again.

So then I remember, "OH YA Stupid, the fucking coin door interlock on this game turns the entire machine off!!" and I was troubleshooting the game with the door open :FP:

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Well I learned something today-I had no idea that the interlock switches on those games turned the entire machine off.

Look at it this way-you'll NEVER make that mistake again :)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Yep, did all the ground mods, updated the power supply board with all the recommended updates, replaced the capacitor in the bottom of the cabinet, and made sure the slam switch was defeated and everything is good to go :lol:

Actually just started shopping it out:

Only a few more hours and it will be good as new

Attachments

• EDCOG.jpg
    EDCOG.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 109