• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

EM Coils "Machine Gunning"

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
This issue just popped up on my Bally wizard. The 10 point and 100 point relays will machine gun intermittently. All 10 and 100 point switches will cause the issue. Occasionally it scores just 10 or 100 points as it should, but about 80% of the time it will machine gun anywhere from 2 times to 20+ times.

Here's a video showing the issue.

I've been wracking my brain around this, but anything I think of seems to me like it would result in a locked on coil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
This sounds like one 10 pts and perhaps a 100 pts playfield switch(es) might be gapped too close
and vibrations or mechanical movement cause this ?

Check the sling switches, spinner and roll-overs switches for proper gapping (e.g. all 10 and 100 pts switches on the playfield).

Good luck !
- Sylvain.

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Thanks for chiming in Sylvain. It's not the playfield switches. I've checked them and made sure they aren't vibrating. As I mentioned, any 10 or 100 point switch will cause the same issue. Rollovers, slings, spot targets. The switches close and open correctly, and then the relay just machine guns. I close the switches by hand and watch them open. Sometimes the relay will machine gun for 5 seconds. Very strange issue.

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Thanks Menace.
The issue can also be a missing, incorrect or overly stretched return spring on those relays.
Or the relay armatures no longer in their proper pivot spots...

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Well unsurprisingly Sylvain knows his stuff again! The issue was indeed the return springs on the relays.

2da95b62113880d7edce1166ed82cc29.jpg

These little springs on top of the relays get worn out over time and lose their strength. As they do the metal plate that they are in charge of returning gets closer and closer to the coil. When it reaches a "sweet spot" where the spring is no longer strong enough to pull the plate far enough away from the coils magnetic field, they will machine gun.

You can see in the following video that I was able to simulate this on all the relays by gently pushing the plate closer to the coil and holding it in that "sweet spot".

For now I've simply stretched the springs further to increase the tension until I get replacement springs.

966ec45ff43cf5f41f5655e796082088.jpg

The temporary fix has done the trick and wizard again plays like a dream!

Thanks again Sylvain. Your knowledge here is always appreciated.

Reactions: brad808