• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

EM Pinball Machine - What is your favourite?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Re: Favourite EM (what is your?)

8571969278_704e00a9dc.jpg

I was at superJackpot's last December and despite having an entire row of DMDs behind me Volley kept making me come back for one more game. This is what happened when someone wanted to have a turn and I just grabbed a stool and continued playing for the night :p

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Volley is a pretty cool game and has the one big thing that good em's have ... the belief that you were just so close to beating it ...

C37 is probably my favourite but there are also a number of card based games that a quite good (Jacks to open .. king of diamonds etc ...)

novaguy

Nov 16, 2012
Fenelon Falls

I'd have to say that it's my Central Park.very hard to beat.lots of people don't like the 2" flipper games but try beating some of them.in the 5 years that we've had this I've only lit both specials once.17 of our 22 pins are EM's and I've played lots others but I'd have to say that it's this one(and our Jacks Open that do it for me.
Ted

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga

I love single player wedgeheads.
Of those I've managed to collect 5 of my favorites. The tops ones for me would also have to be Centigrade 37 and Jacks Open.
C37 has the most awesome retro artowrk on any pin, it has that cool animated backglass thermometer that leads you towards the special and it just has a great layout with lots to do.

Jacks Open is a great target game where you are trying to drop cards to make hands and progress to the special. Very well thought out and a great player.

I also have Volley and it has some cool strategy and it is super fun once you get that ball moving in a circular pattern to knock down all those targets and score big points!

I just returned from the Pinball Hall of Fame in LV and got to play a lot of EMs. One of my favorites was Space Walk. A very rare Gottlieb (the last EM they ever made) but it was great fun with plenty of drop targets, 4 flippers and good gameplay. Morrison was also at the top of his game art-wise and the blue cabinet is very striking.

McMean

Nov 14, 2012
Peterborough

Single Player Wedges for sure. Especially the 3" flippers.

Shoot me an email addy and I'll send you an Excel file that I got from a guy named Frank on RGP a few years ago. It colour codes the wedgeheads by a few characteristics, and dates them all. Great resource for funsies. I've owned 23 of the 100 (I think) wedgehead titles, and some of them more than once (4x for Sky Jump, 3 x for Abra Ca Dabra - 4 with the Team One I had, 2 X MIBs, and 2 x Sure Shot)... I'd bet my total wedgehead "in and out of my house" number would be 30 or more.

My top list is Sure Shot, C37, Sky Jump... and everything else is tied behind it.

The only multiplayers I like are Old Chicago, Grand Prix, and Wizard.... most of the rest are just 'meh' for me.

slacker

Nov 15, 2012
Hamilton Ontario

Buccanneer Is my Fav. its the only EM I have kept and it keeps you coming back for more.
Lite the wheel and turn on the specials, Awesome!
Its one of those we all know so well, you get so close so you just have to play again Wedgeheads :D

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON

Batter Up...love the add a ball feature and this game is hard with those tiny flippers. Fixated on getting runs (could care less about the score),,57 runs most so far with game set to 3 balls initially. I have literally spent an entire afternoon trying to get more than 57 runs. Like that games are not long and you are always so so close to adding that next ball...

But may be biased since it is the only EM I have. Looking to get another good one....

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough

Mike Wong's newest purchase. This means we will play our own EM's for a bit, and we both have no idea which EM will end up where,
or when, but it will be fun in the end. Especially when: neither of us know the real outcome 3 or 6 months down the road just yet.
Play them and have fun. Enjoy em...lol

I will set up the mystery, (perhaps build some suspense) and Mike can clarify afterwards. (when ready)

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough

I was offered a classic wedge EM, which I really do want one day!
I have a friend who really wants it as much as I do, or more.

I hope he gets it. Happy, and I really like these classic Wedge EM's.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough

Well, Mike Wong's c-37 is set up in my office @ work as of right now.
Mike is completely out of space, and I know he wants to play this pin.
I have never played it before. Nice enough that it might have to stay.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON

It tough to have a favourite EM since I'm only beginning to explore this era of games.

I played the odd EM when I was younger, and most remember all those variations of El Dorado. I loved going at all those drop targets. Today, games like Bucanneer also bring back memories (something about that backglass). Recently joining TOPL exposed me to some more EMs and convinced me these games should have a place in my collection.

I bought my first EM last year from a local wedgehead collector who was offering for sale games like High Hand, Pro Pool... but I ended up choosing a Volley. Love that arrangement of drop targets. I then bought a Target Alpha but sold it soon after, yet I still own my Volley. It's a keeper and I consider it one of my favourites. Simple, elegant and certainly has that 'just one more game' characteristic.

During my first trip to Pinburgh earlier this year I had the pleasure of seeing so many more EMs (in amazing condition I might add) and a few caught my eye as games I'd like to have - my other favourites if you will.

4) Surfer. A Gottlieb 2 player (aka 4 player Surf Champ). Another good game from the duo of Ed Krynski/Gordon Morison. Not a wedgehead but still has that same gameplay feel.

3) Mars Trek. A multiplayer EM by Sonic. Three flippers, standups, two saucers, two spinners and a unique asymmetrical layout. A challenging game. Played this first at TOPL and again at Pinburgh in tournament.

2) King of Diamonds - A card themed Gottlieb wedgehead from 1967. 3 inch flippers with a carousel and a cool backbox animation to track the 13 cards you are trying to collect. Sweet.

This one I'd add to my collection tomorrow:
1) Jumping Jack (two player version of Jack in The Box). This one has great angles! A four flipper game! Lot of targets, a couple saucer ejects, and pop bumpers near your lower flippers to keep you on your toes as well as give you a shot at saving that outlane drain. If I were to pick my current favourite EM, it would be this one!

image-1.jpg

I'm sure I will discover more 'favourites' :FP:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

superjackpot said:
One in one out :(

I know the feeling too :( I was contemplating keeping 9 setup and 3 folded where I have my STTNG in my room and rotate out every few months. This would bring my max capacity from 10 to 12 pins.

WARLOCK said:
Mike is completely out of space, and I know he wants to play this pin.

I have played C37 before when Adriano has his setup at his work and it was fun.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I haven't played enough EM's through the years to have a particular favourite, but I liked Grand Prix and I love my old Bally Grand Tour. Some day I'll manage to get it set up again.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
I had a big drink of the Koolaid...I'll say its Volley for me, too. Had a love for El Dorado for years, but after getting introduced to Volley at Scott's and then having a longer go on Drano's the last few times I've visited, I concluded that, for me, this is the king of EMs. Simple, lots of drop targets, frustrating as all hell. Just the way it should be.

Must...resist...buying....EMs...