• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

F14 Tomcat balls won't lock

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
Hi all
So went to play some F14 tonight and ran into trouble locking balls. The first ball will lock, but he next two won't. The machine recognizes that I have completed the targets, but when i send them into the diverter they just kick back out. Advice is greatly appreciated.

Tx Dave

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
According to the manual, F14 Tomcat requires 4 balls - there should be a sticker to that effect under the lockdown bar.

If the proper number of balls are present (check if one is stuck under a plastic, etc. if not all down in the through), go in diagnostic switch test and confirm all switches for the through are properly working. Use pinballs to confirm (for mechanical positioning of the balls vs microswitch levers).

Good luck!
- Sylvain.

Reactions: Menace

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Yes 4 balls.

From what I remember there are no switches in the trough.

The 1st time you spell T-O-M-C-A-T you should see two red lights blinking on the divertor. If you send a ball to the VUK it should head to the divertor and then divert to the lock on the far right side of the PF. Ball 2 should eject into the plunger lane. You plunge it and it should head up to the divertor and lock in either the left or right side of the middle. Is this what your pin is doing? Which ball is kicking back out? Ball 1 or Ball 2?

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
Yes 4 balls.

The 1st time you spell T-O-M-C-A-T you should see two red lights blinking on the divertor. If you send a ball to the VUK it should head to the divertor and then divert to the lock on the far right side of the PF. Ball 2 should eject into the plunger lane. You plunge it and it should head up to the divertor and lock in either the left or right side of the middle. Is this what your pin is doing? Which ball is kicking back out? Ball 1 or Ball 2?

Ball number one is locking after Tomcat is spelled and ball 2 is sent to the plunger lane. Once I spell tomcat a second time, the ball is diverted to the lock, but it spits back out. This continues no matter how many times I spell tomcat or attempt to lock balls. I am able to light all three diverter lanes, but no lock. I believe that Sylvain's original diagnosis may be corret, will be checking into it tonight.......

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yes 4 balls.

There has to be switches in the trough or the game loses count of where and how many balls are in the game. What Sylvain was trying to say is the game has likely "lost track" of how many balls are in the game during play, and if so it likely won't allow the player to lock all the balls.

D

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
There has to be switches in the trough or the game loses count of where and how many balls are in the game. What Sylvain was trying to say is the game has likely "lost track" of how many balls are in the game during play, and if so it likely won't allow the player to lock all the balls.

D
Yes, I either didn't replace all of the balls when I last serviced the machine, or one is stuck somewhere. If not, there must be a switch that is not registering. Thanks all for the replies, should have this running for the weekend!

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario

D
Sorry, I mispoke. I meant that there are no switches in the trough. I think the switch is located right at the drain. You drain a ball, the switch is activated, and the solenoid kicks the ball into the trough. Either way, yes there is a switch.

@stiffler, with my F-14 you only have to spell T-O-M-C-A-T once to get the first two diverters to light. You spell it a second time to light the final diverter. After the very first multiball, then my F-14 follows the pattern your F-14 does. I'm using factory default. Is yours set to hard or something?

stiffler4444

Nov 20, 2012
Crystal Beach, Ontario
Hi FiftyQuid, sorry, my mistake, you are correct, the first two light up after spelling Tomcat the first time. I am only able to lock the one ball, however, as mine is kicking out the second ball.

tx Dave

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Sorry, I mispoke. I meant that there are no switches in the trough. I think the switch is located right at the drain. You drain a ball, the switch is activated, and the solenoid kicks the ball into the trough. Either way, yes there is a switch.

Looking at page 29 of the F-14 manual, there are actually 5 switches in the trough, one of which is the outhole switch you mention which is switch #10. Switches 11-14 are the remainder of the trough switches, and if any of these are bad/not working correctly can affect the game play, such as the issue the OP is having.

D

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Looking at page 29 of the F-14 manual, there are actually 5 switches in the trough, one of which is the outhole switch you mention which is switch #10. Switches 11-14 are the remainder of the trough switches, and if any of these are bad/not working correctly can affect the game play, such as the issue the OP is having.

D
Damn manuals. I was going from memory! You win this round Menace! ;)

Allan

Jan 16, 2014
Binbrook
That is what I like a resolution; so many times I give advice and get no feedback,when all I want to hear is"did that fix it?"