• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FFFFUUUUUU

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
******UPDATE**** PROBLEM NOT A PROBLEM!?!?

opened up the backbox, pulled the fuse for the dmd to make sure all was ok, fuse looked good, but cloudy, gave it a wipe, turns out it was just a bit of dust/dirt on the outside, put the fuse in, dmd works perfect...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHYIGy1dyd8[/youtube]

Figured the song was suiting.

So I recently watched my DMD just completely die mid-game play. Oh shit, this sucks. Though, I wasn't TOO worried, as it could be as simple as a fuse, or possibly a little more involved like board repair/replacement.

Fast forward 3 weeks, after multiple 11 hour work shifts, and no time allowance, I finally go down to the basement, ready to pop off the back glass, so I turn the key to open the coin door and grab the upper key. Well, the key wont turn. Its almost like it doesn't fit anymore. No idea why, as I never had a problem before.

The damn thing feels stuck and now I can't even begin to diagnose the original issue. :FP:

What the hell do I do, short of drilling it out?

I would normally spray in WD-40 or some form of lubricant, but I dont want the mess or any possible damage that run-off may cause.

Suggestions?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Just remove the two screws from the lock on the backbox and viola access to the boards.

Hopfully you have a set of security tox bits, if not go buy some :p

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
Vengeance said:
Just remove the two screws from the lock on the backbox and viola access to the boards.

Hopfully you have a set of security tox bits, if not go buy some :p

These two screws are the reason I have a set of security torx drivers in my tool kit.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
yep... sounds the the backbox key may be stored behind the coin door. That sucks :(

Oh well, drill away.
There is a product you can use to help lubricate the lock (Graphite Powdered Lubricant). It could help and not as messy as WD40.
But I think you;d be okay to use the WD40 anyway... as long as you're careful and not getting it all over the place. Shoot a little onto the key first.
If that doesnt work, place the tube into the keyhole and then wrap it all in paper towel before you spray. The lock is sealed on the back so I doubt anything will get into the game.

Good luck

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Menace said:
If it's the head key that's stuck, follow Adam's advise. It's easier than drilling the lock.

D

And yes, removing those two screws on the rectangular plate holding the lock will make the headbox lock just fall right out. Easy access.
Won't help with your coin door though :(

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Menace said:
Oh, if it's the coin door lock that is buggered ya... time to bust out the Binford 3000 drill.

D
This one?

props_tool_time_binford.jpg

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
opened up the backbox, pulled the fuse for the dmd to make sure all was ok, fuse looked good, but cloudy, gave it a wipe, turns out it was just a bit of dust/dirt on the outside, put the fuse in, dmd works perfect...

thoughts???

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Tarnished fuse or fuse clip? Could also be the fuse clips have "spread" a bit not making perfect contact and by pulling and re-inserting it's contacted again? I just fixed a game on Sunday with some cold solder joints and spread clips.

D

meegis

Mar 18, 2013
Woodbridge
Menace said:
Tarnished fuse or fuse clip? Could also be the fuse clips have "spread" a bit not making perfect contact and by pulling and re-inserting it's contacted again? I just fixed a game on Sunday with some cold solder joints and spread clips.

D
no visible tarnish, and the clip itself was tight as should be. I guess at this point Ill just be happy it all works again.

Could have even been a slightly loose board connector, as I did unplug and re-seat the ones I had access to.

Whatever.