• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Flipper Plunger Done Broke

May 17, 2013
Ontario
The left flipper on LoTR wasn't working so I had a look and this is what I found...

How exactly does that happen? From what I can see it appears to have started separating from the inside as per the black dust on the main piece.
I'll have to pull the right side out to make sure it isn't doing the same.

Attachments

• plunger.jpg
    plunger.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 240

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Shit happens and it looks like you are due for a flipper rebuild anyways because I see a bit of mushrooming on the end there. You can get a complete Stern flipper rebuild kit from Pinball Life:

500-6307-10_500-6307-00.jpg

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=247

I forgot how expensive Stern flipper parts in general are compared to Bally/Williams but you could save a few bucks and reuse some of your older stuff such as the EOS switch, return springs and file down your coil stops which are probably mushroomed as well. However given how important flippers are in a game probably better to just bite the bullet and get the complete kit and whatever you end up not using can kept for spare parts for the future.

While you are ordering from Pinball Life you might want to consider upgrade your stock coils to these LOTR Special Flipper coils. Apparently the stock coils heat up and get weak during those marathon games. It would really suck if you were one shot away from Destroying the Ring and can't get the ball up the ramp :lol:

lotr_coil.jpg

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1112

May 17, 2013
Ontario
Ya I noticed the mushrooming as well. On the plunger and the coil stop. Eventually I will have to do a full rebuild but most everything else looks fine and plays well enough so I'm gonna cheap out this time. :D

I have noticed the coil fatigue after extended play time but I've read mixed things about the PBL coils. Mostly about them being "too strong". Mine provide enough kick as it is (when not overheating) so I'm going to try mounting small 12V fans by the coils and see if that can keep them playing strong. Although, currently there's not much playing to do. :cry:

It's sort of like Merle from Walking Dead. Which I think would make an awesome theme for a pin. Zombie hurry-up? Doesn't get more perfect.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I had stock coils on my LOTR and never had a problem after 1-2 hours and flippers still felt strong. You might also want to check the gaps on your EOS switches because if they are not adjusted properly it could cause your coils to heat up too. I don't know how effective mounting 12v fans would be but I know a few people on here that have installed upgraded LOTR coils in their game and happy with it so sure they will chime in on their experience.

Sounds like your game is due for a flipper rebuild anyways and chances are you do this now you won't have to do it for a while. If you need to order a replacement part online one you might as well bite the bullet and order the rest of the kit since you are paying shipping anyways. Unless SB is local and you can stop by their parts department and pick up during the week.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
I have put the upgraded coils in my LOTR. With the stock ones the flippers would get weak around the 1/2 hour mark then would become almost useless getting the ring after 45min. It gets very frustrating when having a great game an you can no longer make your shots. The upgraded coils are a bit more powerful but you will appreciate them on those long games. If you ever want a chance for Valinor I believe these are a must have.

May 17, 2013
Ontario
Getting to Valinor isn't much of an issue right now. Cause I suck :lol: I'll keep the coils in mind though.
I should definitely check the EOS gap. I meant to do it a while ago and forgot. Got distracted by pretty lights and sounds :FP:

I appreciate you guys chiming in with your experience. Still a newb on lots of stuff.

Oh and does anyone have a Merry figurine? For some reason he is the only one missing.