• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Freight Companies for Pinball

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
Surely, I wouldn't mind going for drive to pick up a pinball machine. Driving up to 7-8 hours (round trip) is fine if it's a good deal. However, anything above that seems a little too much, specially because I've just recently moved to Canada and I don't know my way around very well.

Anyway, I don't want to miss on a good deal because I don't have the time or energy to go and pick it up. So I began wondering about freight companies. Are freight companies a viable option for pinball in Canada or are they way too expensive to consider?

If they are a viable option, can anyone recommend one?
Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with freight companies?

Cheers!

CJBob

Nov 24, 2014
Mississauga
A lot of people with more experience than me, but I've done a couple of things. I got my second machine from TNT in the U.S., it was dropped off on a skid in my garage. A very good experience except for the price which ended up being high with the exchange rate, taxes and shipping. Buying can work provided you are getting it from someone you trust.

I also shipped a machine to Winnipeg using Sameday I believe. It was picked up from my garage and shipped to a depot in Winnipeg for about $250 or so. I got help from a few people packing it up and between the skid, the strapping, the shrink film, the blankets, etc. it was more work than I expected. Went well, though and arrived safely.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
As Bob has stated, within Canada Sameday is great and somewhat affordable. If you're dealing with someone out on the east coast you can also use Maritime-Ontario for freight as well. I have used both carriers with good results.

Whomever you use, make sure the game is on a pallet, wrapped really really well and strapped.

D

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
A lot of people with more experience than me, but I've done a couple of things. I got my second machine from TNT in the U.S., it was dropped off on a skid in my garage. A very good experience except for the price which ended up being high with the exchange rate, taxes and shipping.
Who do they use for shipping? I contacted one guy whose shipper wouldn't cross the border, and another who says shipping into Canada would be north of $400 USD.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
US to Canada is a WHOLE other story... in short it ain't cheap! All of the examples given were all shipped within Canada, so no customs to deal with.

If you are going to try shipping a game from the US, I highly recommend you ship using Forward Air but this requires the seller to deliver the game to their local FA depot and you would have to pickup at Pearson (or local FA depot) Another option that works well is getting bids on Uship, and have the game delivered to a boarder warehouse in Buffalo and then driving over and importing the game yourself.

D

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
I've had a few pins now delivered by STI within the States. The drop it off at a depot just outside of Buffalo (town called Brockport). I go pick it up and bring back across the border myself. No brokers to deal with, very convenient. Except of course, having to pay customs.....damn those border guards!!! :eek:

Reactions: spiroagnew

Rascal

Sep 20, 2015
nova scotia, canada
I have used Sameday a couple times this year and they were reasonable for Ontario to Nova Scotia $240. My biggest fear is he lack of insurance on big ticket items. Take your chances if you want to "get'ter done".

Pedro

Jun 3, 2016
Waterloo, ON
I've had a few pins now delivered by STI within the States. The drop it off at a depot just outside of Buffalo (town called Brockport). I go pick it up and bring back across the border myself. No brokers to deal with, very convenient. Except of course, having to pay customs.....damn those border guards!!! :eek:
That seems like a great ideia. I used to think that whatever deal I could find in the US would be ruined my the freight. However, this option seems pretty viable. Would you mind being a little more specific? Where was the pin shipped from? How much was the freight to Bockport? How much for customs? If you're not comfortable giving numbers, that's cool too. Anyway, thanks for the insight.

Cheers!

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Had my MB shipped from Vegas. Can't remember exact numbers, but think that one was around 400 to ship. Customs will be the same regardless. Always 13%. Just make sure you bring plenty of documentation to show what you paid for the pin, including e-mail chain, and financial tranactions. I've never tried to skim $$ off of what I paid for the machine. To me, the risk just isn't worth it for a few bucks. The other I had shipped was my TWD LE, think that one came from Missouri. Again, around 4-450.00 to ship