• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Gameroom Weekend Reboot and New Addition!

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
So space seems to have become an issue for me once again so I decided to reboot my game room layout once again for the 3rd time this year. Those who have been over to my place in the past know my original layout (v1.0) was 4 games on each wall, so as you walk in on your immediate right you would see this

7496503008_257cbd7367_c.jpg

and if you look to your far left you would see this and do not bother with the game titles as I have had pretty severe pinball A.D.D. this year

7496506632_219dcf9769_c.jpg

This layout worked out great until one day I got the urge to have my first and last P2K game RFM. Also I had never driven more then 1.5 hours to get a game nor head into Quebec nor shrink wrap my car so I figure why not nail 3 birds with one stone.

7441000728_a26d3d893f_c.jpg

In case you are wondering there is also a SWE1 P2K PinMAME and SF2 MAME cab to keep into consideration during the shuffle too. Now I had always toyed with the idea of having a middle row and here was my failed attempt. I like to be able to slide the glass of all my games in case a ball gets stuck or some adjustments need to be made without having to slide another game or object out of the way. I visited a collector one time and to slide the glass off he literally had to shift 3 games which was a major pain!

7496506890_95e1f71549_c.jpg

I also like my room to not feel cramped and as open as possible so here is what I ended up coming up with and made room for a 9th pin in the end (v2.0). I kept my original row of 4 pins on the right and moved the other 4 pins to the adjacent wall and now became a row of 5.

7496504886_11e427e373_c.jpg

7496504480_e3f906e992_c.jpg

Since my PinMAME cab was on rolling casters already and the pitch and level of the game didnt affect game play I had to make the compromise so that when not in play it would be pushed against the wall to save space and just roll out like this to play.

7496504086_a42ddb45ec_c.jpg

This layout lasted from about June till November this year when another game from my wish list became available and I had to make the decision to let go of Xmen Pro to a good friend of mine to help raise some funds and besides my friend Elliot has one who is 5 minutes down the road. You would think Xmen out and new game in I am still at my max of 9 pins. I am trying to future proof because lately had to pass up on a few other titles that peaked my interest so this past Sunday I played a very popular game with my pins I am sure you all have on your smart phones

unblockme.jpg

A few weeks ago I was toying with the idea of angling my games like this so I could have 4 slanted on the left and maybe 6-7 on the right leaving the area of my original 4 pins open for my MAME and PinMAME cabs as well as tools and parts.

8182402834_0a5f708f7d_c.jpg

When I moved one game over to the right wall I knew this idea would not work so I had to come up with an alternative.

8220430217_bbb812c0d8_c.jpg

I did a bit of measuring and calculating and realized I could line up 9 pins on the one wall I never used before. I had to make room so I could shuffle the pins around inside the room and all I had to help me was my pinlifter. So I moved whatever I could out and wife comes down Sunday morning to load some laundry and also curious as to why I was up so early and see this:

8221506650_00d9d10dc9_c.jpg

Wife: "errrr.. mikey what are you doing?"
Me: "can't you see?"
Wife: "huh?"
Me: "vacuuming" :)

She shakes her head and thinks I am just nuts and doesn't have a clue a new pin is coming later on today either. Now that I have space time to work on my puzzle and pin valet parking skillz.

8220427539_22f24cd20c_c.jpg

8220427919_76369bf1e3_c.jpg

8220429501_3767de0e40_c.jpg

8220428989_70158f020c_c.jpg

What was that famous saying again? Measure twice and only cut once?

8220428573_e044e2dc8a_c.jpg

Well in my case it is measure twice and move 8 other pins again to make room. I was 2 inches short of squeezing in the 9th pin in this row so I had to really go balls to the wall literally for some games and might even require some famous ALJO lube in the future to slide games in and out. No worries and no head decals were hurt during this process.

8220428371_bd8bb20db8_c.jpg

8221507702_fe5c6df9fb_c.jpg

8221506954_57f1358f37_c.jpg

My real saving grace here was the Sterns as they are only 28" wide at the head versus 29" for Bally/Williams games. I guess this means TSPP and LOTR are keepers for sure if I want to keep 9 on this wall for the future which is fine in my books. Now after reshuffling the other games I now have the required space to slide in my third game and sure everyone can take a wild guess what it will be......

8220413187_9535cc4741_c.jpg

Here is my brother in-law Keith once again :) My back was pretty much done at this point of the day and went to pick up the game and I could not even lift it an inch off the ground at the top of the stairs. Adriano also stopped by after 9:30pm as he wanted to see the new arrangement and game as well as help me move it in. Sure he will chime in an tell you what a cunt my stairs really are :lol:

8221493586_dbdafb6cea_c.jpg

Here is where she sits now and looks like I won't be able to fit the scrolls unless I have CV sitting forward a little bit. I will see how much these suckers go for on ebay and I might just mglover them if someone is crazy enough or else if I sell the game on pinside it will be $9995 w/scrolls or $9495 w/o scrolls :D With CV in place I will go back and re-gap all my games so there is a more tolerance in the case I do need to slide a game in and out.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed my story for game room layout v3.0 and felt my pain this weekend. Here are some panoramic pics of before and after courtesy of the new google camera on Android 4.2

Before
8221496444_b3e6ab5eb6_b.jpg

After
8220418997_6ea63bc404_b.jpg

For the record my max has now been increased from 9 pins to 11. Where Xmen is currently located I can fit two games back to back and still be able to slide the glass out on all my games. This new setup should last me.... till end of next month before I max out again :twisted:

-Mike

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
pffffffffffffft

You got tons of room left, I still see an entire other room with a couch and other pinball hogging space items, time to expand!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Wow, that'd be REALLY close to get in playing more than one of those at once. Nice job though. Thought about doing the angled layout myself, but I still haven't quite gotten to that point. Lots more space to rearrange if I need to.

If you decide you don't want to keep the scrolls though, let me know-my CV is missing them, and I don't want to pay what they go for in the aftermarket.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
First of all, I'd like to say how thrilled I was that my hand got to be in the same photo as Keith... even if only to hold up one of the scrolls :)
No problem with the help. It's the least I could do after you helping me get TZ downstairs.

It's a pretty cool lineup and I enjoyed jumping back and forth last night. The layout works well... even if I did have to crawl under each game to plug them in.
I still think we can get 12 in there easy and still have room for the MAME, vids and jukebox. Where there's a will....

Congrats on the JPOP trio!

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Mike, you can find a few more inches for the heads within the wall studs on either end if you really want to try, or maybe trade a few games for some wedgeheads :cool: . Better yet, why not just sell that widebody Roadshow :eek: :shock: :p

Nice work though. I did a similar thing over the weekend, and squeezed a 10th game where I thought I only had room for 9. I am not at all comfortable with the 1/2" spacing between backboxes though and need to do some more shuffling... and put some kind of guard between games to prevent collisions in the meantime.

EJB

Nov 17, 2012
Just got back from Mike's, great layout and great new game. Somehow I joined the circus and posted GC score in my first game! Didn't really know the rules until I got to wiz mode and then I just followed the dmd instructions. I'm not a particularly good player so this was pretty exciting for me! Also finally got all of Mike's games levelled properly, what a collection :)

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
EJB said:
Just got back from Mike's, great layout and great new game. Somehow I joined the circus and posted GC score in my first game! Didn't really know the rules until I got to wiz mode and then I just followed the dmd instructions. I'm not a particularly good player so this was pretty exciting for me! Also finally got all of Mike's games levelled properly, what a collection :)

Wow, first game too! Congrats.
Mike, you gotta jack that game up :)