• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Gold wings no sound!

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
Hello everyone, so I finally did it. I bought my first pinball machine as the price was right but it came at a cost and that is there is no sound. The previous owner said it did work before but then it died and he didn't bother fixing it. Suggested I sound buy a new sound add from playdium.

If anyone can provide me any pointers or tips on how to figure out why the sound isn't working id be thankful. Also looking for a manual. Other then no sound everything seems to be working. Missing air siren inside and the Landing strip topper.

I noticed the led on the soundcard remains lit while the machine is on but doesn't blink or anything just stays lit. Also if I adjust the volume knob I can hear that the speaker works as I get feed back.

Reactions: tim.sanderson

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 3

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
I had the same problem with my Stargate, LED would just stay on, I swapped the sound card and it just started working. Before buying a replacement board from Toronto, I would suggest price checking online in the states, markup on boards in Canada when I last checked was a bit silly....

Reactions: kvoxx

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
So after doing some testing I still get no music or speech but lots of static noise from the top back board speaker if I hit the top test button on the sound board it cuts out the noise. The button test button doesn't do anything and the led light no longer is lit.

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
How do i check if my rom chips are good on the sound board? If I replace the sound board would I worry about that blowing or going bad?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The 1st thing to do before replacing processor chips or capacitors on those sound boards
is to confirm that the +5V power is proper on it. Have you had a chance to measure it ?
(the power arrives from the small power supply board immediately to the right of the sound board)

Cheers,
- Sylvain.

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
The 1st thing to do before replacing processor chips or capacitors on those sound boards
is to confirm that the +5V power is proper on it. Have you had a chance to measure it ?
(the power arrives from the small power supply board immediately to the right of the sound board)

Cheers,
- Sylvain.

Hi sylvan,
No I haven't checked it. Could you please let me know how I should go about this.

Thank you
Kevin

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hi sylvan,
No I haven't checked it. Could you please let me know how I should go about this.
You need a digital voltmeter or multimeter (DMM).
Set it to Volts DC, and measure on the sound board, being careful not to short the probes
to anywhere else from where you are measuring:

- across C18: place the red probe on the + and black probe on the - of C18. Expect to read very close to +5.0 volts DC;

then measure the voltage:
- across C10: place the red probe on the + and black probe on the - of C10. Expect to read around +12.0 volts DC;

- across C19: place the red probe on the - and black probe on the + of C19. Expect to read around -12.0 volts DC;

It would help if you have the manual/schematic.

Unfortunately I do not have enough spare time to help further on the troubleshooting or how to measure voltages.
I am hoping however that there is sufficient info here for you to pursue from this point.
In any case, there are tons of on-line guides on how to use a digital voltmeter on the web, so I am sure you will figure it out successfully.

Incidentally, the recommendation is to confirm these voltages first arriving on the sound board.
If one is completely wrong, you need to check upstream (connectors, wire harness, cold solder joints under header pins,
and the small sound board power supply itself (diodes, capacitors, etc.).
Obviously, if the problem is a bad power supply or connector, replacing the sound board with a working one will not fix the problem.

If all the voltages check OK and you cannot get any sound (but hear hum from the amp and speaker), then it is time to check chips and some of the electrolytic capacitors on the sound board.
Check if any chip run way too hot/burn to the touch - this is a sure sign that the chip is most probably defective.

Best of luck!
- Sylvain.

Last edited:

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
You need a digital voltmeter or multimeter (DMM).
Set it to Volts DC, and measure on the sound board, being careful not to short the probes
to anywhere else from where you are measuring:

- across C18: place the red probe on the + and black probe on the - of C18. Expect to read very close to +5.0 volts DC;

- across C10: place the red probe on the + and black probe on the - of C10. Expect to read around +12.0 volts DC;

- across C19: place the red probe on the - and black probe on the + of C19. Expect to read around -12.0 volts DC;

It would help if you have the manual/schematic.

Unfortunately I do not have enough spare time to help further on the troubleshooting or how to measure voltages.
I am hoping however that there is sufficient info here for you to pursue from this point.
In any case, there are tons of on-line guides on how to use a digital voltmeter on the web, so I am sure you will figure it out successfully.

Incidentally, the recommendation is to confirm these voltages first arriving on the sound board.
If one is completely wrong, you need to check upstream (connectors, wire harness, cold solder joints under header pins,
and the small sound board power supply itself (diodes, capacitors, etc.).
Obviously, if the problem is a bad power supply or connector, replacing the sound board with a working one will not fix the problem.

If all the voltages check OK and you cannot get any sound (but hear hum from the amp and speaker), then it is time to check chips and some of the electrolytic capacitors on the sound board.
Check if any chip run way too hot/burn to the touch - this is a sure sign that the chip is most probably defective.

Best of luck!
- Sylvain.

Thanks for all the helpful information I'll try my best and do more research.
I was sad to find out starburst doesn't have this soundboard.

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
I would check with www.pbresource.com, his shipping is very reasonable and service is top notch... as long as you are willing to wait for shipping (or drive to the border) you will find the prices close to 30% less even with our exchange rate (unless pbresources jacked their prices recently)

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
One last check: DIP switches on the sound board: Make sure dip switches 3 & 4 are properly set on the sound board:
- Position 1.... Not Used
- Position 2.... Not Used
- Position 3.... Off
- Position 4.... On

- Sylvain.

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
I finally bought a sound card from Steve young's pinball resource. When I received it the card looked older and in worst shape then mine but I connected it and voila! Beautiful music. I got lucky on this fix no work involved just the way I like it. Thanks for everyone's help I let this repair drag on too long.

Allan

Jan 16, 2014
Binbrook
You checked all the basics good thing I've seen too many replace a blown up board but they did not find out what blew up the first board

kvoxx

Dec 2, 2014
Toronto
So its been just over 1 year since I switched the sound card and got the sound going but unfortunately it now no longer works. The past couple of weeks if I turned the game off and on repeatedly until I could hear sound then it would work but not for long maybe enough for one game. Sometimes the music would disappear but I would still get the sound effects. Now I get no sound period. I'm back to square one where I started out.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Have you replaced all of the connector pins in the game? Does the sound PCB self test still work? (I think these PCB's had a selft test?)

D