• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Gorgar flipper help

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
So I have a Gorgar playfield here, to replace my very beat up one currently in my machine. The pf was missing the flipper assemblies, so I ordered 2 new coils, and a flipper rebuild kit. I assembled it and wired the flippers up exactly like my working pf, but it keeps blowing the 10 amp fuse, I have rechecked the wiring to coils several times and its identical to the working pf, does anyone have a pic of a gorgar flipper coil wiring?, or schematic. I dont know why its doing this, unless there is a short in the wire harness somewhere, the only difference I see is the switch, the new ones are 2 blades, long and short, the old ones are 3 blades.Any thoughts/ help is appreciated.
Thanks..

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Check and compare the orientation of the diodes across the lugs on the flipper coils,
between the coils on the original playfield, compared to the coils/orientation of the
diodes on the replacement playfield.

Also make sure the EOS switches open when the flippers are almost fully operated.

I am also aware that too much heat for too long a time, too close to the body of a diode
could make the diode become a short-circuit - check the resistance between the coil lugs
with a multimeter in continuity test, and see if any coil now measures close to zero 0hms...

Good luck !
- Sylvain.

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Its strange, I even had Trish look over and compare the two flipper sets and wiring., lol, The coils wiring is reversed( bottom lug and top lug) side to side due to the diodes bands being reversed, on both playfields.The switches are definately opening as well. It blows the fuse almost immediately after game starts, .

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
You must connect the wires up to the new coil in relation to the diode bands, not the coil lugs. If you want to connect the wires to the same lugs you must change the diodes so they match the old coils first.

Where you connected them backwards you may have also destroyed the diodes on the new coils, so I would test the diodes with your dmm as well.

D

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
yes, thats what I was trying to say in my previous post, I made sure the wires matched the banded sides of the diodes, as the banded sides are on opposite end of the coils when installed, the wiring matches exactly, the old playfield, as do the diode bands.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Mabye pull the wires off the coils on the new PF and fire up the game, see if the fuse stops blowing. If that solves the fuse blowing issue you know there is some sort of issue with the flippers.

D

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
so I put the meter on it in continuity,(end lug to end lug) the new coils read 0.06, the older working pf coils read 01.5. . So am I to assume the diodes are bad on the new coils?. I disconnected the wire going to the banded side,and no fuse blows. I have a pic of the wiring of the coil, striped smaller wire from top of pf to top ,long blade of switch, wire jumps down to non banded side lug, wire from bottom blade of switch, short one, goes to middle lug, and thicker power wire from harness goes to banded side of coil lug.

Last edited:

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Looking back at Sylvains post about heat, I suck at soldering and wonder , because I had a hell of a time getting the solder to take if I possibly overheated the diodes and fried them, hmmm

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yep, anything less than 2 ohms on a coil usually indicates a short circuit. I'd clip and replace the diodes on that coil and try again.

Make sure you check both coil windings, as there are two. (but usually it's just the power winding that shorts)

D

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Yep, anything less than 2 ohms on a coil usually indicates a short circuit. I'd clip and replace the diodes on that coil and try again.

Make sure you check both coil windings, as there are two. (but usually it's just the power winding that shorts)

D
I will replace diodes after work tonight, not sure what you mean by check coil windings?

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 7

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I will replace diodes after work tonight, not sure what you mean by check coil windings?
This is a series wound coil, which means there are actually 2 coils in one. A high power flip winding and a low power hold winding. This is why you have 3 lugs and two diodes on this coil. Once you have clipped the diodes off the coil, measure the resistance of each coil (across the lugs each diode was on) to make sure they are both higher than 2 ohms. (1.5 ohms *should* be ok, but that's pushing it)

D

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
there is only 1 diode on these coils from end lug to end lug,I think I just told them I needed 2 flipper coils for a gorgar,it was a ways back, I hope they are the right ones. see pic above.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
there is only 1 diode on these coils from end lug to end lug,I think I just told them I needed 2 flipper coils for a gorgar,it was a ways back, I hope they are the right ones. see pic above.

Yes my mistake, Gorgar only has one diode on the flipper coil across the two outside lugs. If you're looking at the coil with the lugs facing up and on the left the banded side of the diode should be towards the lower lug.

s6coil2.jpg

D

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
As you are about to replace a diode on one coil, measure again the coil resistance with the old diode clipped on one end.
If the resistance now measures 1.5 ohms or higher instead of the earlier 0.06 ohms, you found your issue (shorted diode).

slither

Mar 23, 2013
Portland, Ont.
Finally got back to this, all good, flippers working fine, need some minor adjustment, left is a little weak, but working great. Thanks for the help..