• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

HEP compares original MM playfield and reproductions

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I found this video HEP posted up comparing the differences between an original MM playfield to an IPB MM reproduction playfield. Interesting to watch as he notes the structural differences only between the two and how things don't bolt up or align the same was as the original or cause potential problems affecting game play.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqGePEZxb3g&list=PLAssdv2pYixCD1_WhswenWSvknl4NrRdc&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]

It's a good watch if you are going to do a IPB pf swap for your MM as some of the corrections you really wanna do before you even begin populating it.

Thanks goes out to Chris at HEP for sharing his findings and enjoy!

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I've been watching all of the videos from Chris and all I have to say is....

That guy is too fucking anal, seriously. I mean I watched his AFM and MB takes on the repro PF and some of his chief complaints are how some repro parts don't fit into the repro PF.

His solution, modify the PF. In my head all I can think is why modify the PF when it would be much easier and safer to modify the part you are trying to put in the PF.

I get people are paying him a buttload of money for perfection, but you know what I'm fine with good enough, I think he nit picks just a little too much, but I guess that is his job, to nit pick the hell outta every little thing.

Me if I were doing the swap, I wouldn't bother with a single one of his recommendations.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I didn't watch his MB or AFM repro playfield critique yet but I think some of the points he made in this MM repro pf were valid and not really anal. I know this will come in handy when Drano does his IPB MM pf swap as he is quite picky with his restorations and tries to stay as true to the original as possible.

I don't know if you watch his TF LE unboxing but as he was pulling it out of the box he already didn't like how Stern wrapped the decals around the corner and corrected it to the he thought it should be before he slapped the legs on :) Regardless how picky he is I'm sure the community can value some of his suggestions and knowledge base off his experience restoring many different games in the past.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
mwong168 said:
I don't know if you watch his TF LE unboxing but as he was pulling it out of the box he already didn't like how Stern wrapped the decals around the corner and corrected it to the he thought it should be before he slapped the legs on :) Regardless how picky he is I'm sure the community can value some of his suggestions and knowledge base off his experience restoring many different games in the past.

Yea I watched his TF LE unboxing and again I felt it was very nit picky, I get that is his job, but for non HEP people, I don't think it's necessary.

I just saw his stuff for MM, and yea making the hole bigger sure, but that is an easy thing to do and something you have to do on every single repro PF anyway. But wideing that entire area, just seems like overkill to me. Maybe since he has the ability and talent to just lay down some new clear, but for me I wouldn't put the extra money I would have to have someone make the corrections to make the PF "Perfect", I'm sure it would install just fine as is and play just fine as well.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Perfect example, in the AFM video he talks about how the area for the SOL hole is not right for the Kerry protector.

So he goes through the whole process of modifying that area so it can accept a protector.

In my head all I'm thinking is:

"Why not just use the Cliffy instead?"

It all seemed so un-necessary to go through all that work, just to make a protector fit.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
It could just be HEP or the customer's preference in terms of looks. To me if a Cliffy does the same job of protecting a certain high traffic area such as the SOL hole and not affect game play I would go with that. In most cases Cliffy is the only option if you want to hide wear as shown below because Mantis (kerry) protectors are usually protected from inside the hole.

Worn out / Cliffy Protector
beforeafter.jpg

Mantis Protector (Kerry)
AFMimg_5527a.jpg

Since HEP has the ability to repair and touch up the area why hide it and use the Kerry one instead. It is all preference of the restorer or owner and form over function at the end of the day.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
If it was me doing a PF swap and it came down to the protectors... I would absolutely go with Kerry's over Cliffy's any day of the week, and I would mod the PF to get it to fit. I personally cannot stand the look of Cliffy's if the hole is mint, but that's just me... I'm anal. :)

So for me, these vids are a great resource to fix issues before I begin a PF swap.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I'm a player so I could care less what protector goes where, I don't see game play affected at all by the changes he is proposing which is why I feel they seem unnecessary

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Vengeance said:
I'm a player so I could care less what protector goes where, I don't see game play affected at all by the changes he is proposing which is why I feel they seem unnecessary

And for those that know you (like I do), I completely understand where you were coming from. :)

D