• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

HEP equivalents in Canada?

scylla

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto, ON
Who are the HEP equivalents in Canada for full restorations? And does anyone have a recommendation based on personal experience?

I think there was a discussions on this subject a while back but I can't find it (should have bookmarked). If I remember correctly there's someone in Alberta - maybe others as well?

Thanks!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I don't know of anyone that does Chris' full on restorations full time North of the boarder. There are a few of us that have done HEP like restorations before, but on our own games not for others. Are you looking for someone to restore a game?

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
If you're willing to ship a game back and forth to Alberta, you may as well consider shipping it to the US for the "real thing" and get HEP to do it. There is paperwork you can get to avoid the HST since the machine is already "here" and is just being sent to the US and back.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
frolic said:
If you're willing to ship a game back and forth to Alberta, you may as well consider shipping it to the US for the "real thing" and get HEP to do it. There is paperwork you can get to avoid the HST since the machine is already "here" and is just being sent to the US and back.

He will still have to pay HST on the work being performed, I found that out when I had my PF done by PFR back when they took work.

So taxes will still be charged on the services rendered.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
frolic said:

Agreed... but you'll only avoid re-import taxes on the value of the original machine.
There are several guys down there that do this sort of thing on a semi-professional basis... unlike most of us Canucks ;)
HEP, Allan Shope at Treasure Cove, Chad Keller, Jim McCune, Bryan Kelly, Mike Dallas (aka PinballMikeD) etc....

Pick one that's close and that you feel comforatble with and off you go.

If the bulk of your job is playfield work, that opens up even more doors as it's easier to ship a playfield and there are a lot more guys that specialize in just that, like : NEO, Ron Kruzman, even GAP.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
DRANO said:
If the bulk of your job is playfield work, that opens up even more doors as it's easier to ship a playfield and there are a lot more guys that specialize in just that, like : NEO, Ron Kruzman, even GAP.

Do NOT ship your PF to NEO, that guys work is TERRIBLE!

Personal experience on a FT PF and first hand experience on a buddies IJ PF

I've only ever seen one person who does a worse job then Neo, and unfortunately he is on this side of the border.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
HEP is usually pretty backed up for work so be prepared to leave your game with him for a bit.

What game do you want to do a high end restore for scylla?

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Well, if you're already throwing a bunch of money at a hep type restoration, whats a little hst on top ;-).

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
there's Tom "Poolman" Palmer in London but AFAIK he's booked up for years in advance at this point. The only other guy I can think of is our very own DRANO, and he hasn't branched off to doing other peoples' games..................... yet. ;)

scylla

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto, ON
Hi guys,

Thanks for all of the feedback (extremely helpful!) and sorry for the late response (traveling outside of the country and in a different time zone right now).

Maybe we'll consider doing HEP after all. We figured it would be easier to do it within Canada to avoid the border crossings. But we are definitely prepared to ship - so we'll consider all options. And yes - we figure we'll be without the pin for a good 6-8 months (maybe more?). By the way, I'm not talking like the Queen of England - "we" = my husband and I. :)

Hopefully I don't get called an idiot for doing this, but we are thinking of doing the full restore on our MM. And yes, we're fully aware of the remake. Obviously a choice that may seem stupid to some - but it's our stupid decision to make. :)

Thanks again for all of the info! Will be researching these options for another few months before we make a decision.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Don't worry it's not that bad if you already know and don't care. I make much dumber choices on a regular basis :p.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I would think any HEP level restoration is not an investment, but for a machine you will keep forever. So do what makes you happy! :)

matthewra

Dec 27, 2012
Toronto, Canada
kleinosky.com
This is scylla responding from my husband's account. We are traveling in mainland China and this site is blocked here (my husband has managed to pay for some sort of roaming account that gives him access).

Yes - we are definitely keeping MM forever. Will update this discussion if / when we decide to move forward. Thanks again for the names!