• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Looking For First Machine

Mr.SunBeam

Jul 14, 2016
toronto
Hello Fellow Ballers!

I have been playing pinball a lot recently because we have recently got one at the office I work at. I am really starting to get into the hobby and enjoy every minute that silver ball is in play. I have been looking for over a month now on Kijiji waiting for the perfect machine to come up. If anyone has suggestions on a machine that is great for beginners or any one has one for sale I am looking for:

1985 or newer,
a game with ramps
a game with multiball
In player condition
I am not looking to spend over $1700

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Price is certainly going to be your limiting factor given your minimum requirements list. Anything with ramps and a multiball likely isn't going to be much less than your max budget, but as long as you're not in a rush, have the means to travel to pickup a game and are patient you shouldn't have a problem finding something.

If you haven't had a chance to play a lot of different titles from the mid 80's (which is pretty much what you'll be looking at based on your budget) my suggestion would be to try and locate as many as you can to play in person, and try to narrow down which games apeal to you. Figuring out what you really like, as well as what you don't like will go a long way to help you in your search.

D

Reactions: GorgarSpeaks

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca
Good luck searching Kijiji, deals on there usually don't stay up very long.

I'd suggest poking around the FS section here for some sales. In addition, try to get out into the city if possible to play a few games, it may help you narrow down your choice, and help you find that one machine you will love to play.

Best of luck in your search!

P.S, Hey Doug! WH20 still working like a champ!!!

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
At least you are in Toronto so you are pretty central when looking.
I would suggest watching the local live auctions.
Do some research before you go. Some machines have parts that commonly break that can be very hard if not impossible to find. Ramps are typically in this category.
Don't be afraid to take a project. Just make sure you can get the needed parts and price accordingly.
I myself started with a busted EM and worked my way through a few projects before ending up with 2 recent sterns.
Have cash ready, watch here and kijijii for new listings and be ready. No one wants to be the 4th caller.
Find someone nearby that can help you with repairs. My tech buddy and I always seem to find people who need work done. Even had my barber send me to work on another customers Genie. Karma pays off. Finished Genie and we were introduced to a neibour with another machine Spin Out.
There are many EMs out there the SS and newer are a bit rarer to find in my area (about 3/1 here).

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
At that price you're probably in Williams System 11 territory... for a player example at least. Many of the more desirable ones are creeping well over $2K in nice shape. I don't know where Data East/Sega average pricing sits these days, but that might be in your wheelhouse as well.

But I agree with the others. Waiting on kijiji isn't a great option. Definitely stick to the forums and, as long as you keep your options open and can move quickly, something will surface. I sold an F14 last year for around that price and it's a great game to start with.

I will have a Bride of Pinbot available within the next month or so, but it's almost 2.5X your budget :(

Good luck!

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I would like to think Bally Atlantis could be close to your range.
I had one years ago I got from the Starburst live auction. Needed a few missing parts (drain plug was a biggie).
I guess it really depends on what skills you bring to the table.
Pretty well everything at your price point in SS, ramp, multiball is going to need some level of work. Most likely all early pins will have been routed and will show some crazy wear or have someone initials carved into them.
Spent a good hour cleaning old gum off the bottom of my first pin.

Mr.SunBeam

Jul 14, 2016
toronto
Hey everyone thanks for all your help so far.
I am definitely going to be patient and wait for the right machine. Just wondering what are some of the live auctions that you trust and would buy a machine off of?
I know Kijiji isnt the best way but so far has been the only way ive been able to find machines for sale.
Other than Pinball stores but those are extremely expensive!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
There was a DE Leathal Weapon posted on the Montreal forum for $1700 but apparently it's been sold pending pickup so deals do pop up from time to time but you have to be very quick and ready to drop everything and travel.

Live auctions can be found by searching the net. Pladium also holds on-line auctions from time to time but usually the games never go cheap.

D

Mr.SunBeam

Jul 14, 2016
toronto
There is a F-14 in Quebec that is listed for 1500 and is in good condition. Seems like it could be a decent find. It is on Pinside.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
ALJO has a $900 working Grand Lizard for sale right now.

"The game has an upper playfield that was blacked out by someone but I have a decal to to cover it, I just did'nt do the job yet, flippers are very strong as well, cabinet is solid but not very nice, has a brand new display connector, a few plastics are broken on corners, Fun game but I must choose which games I keep and which games go even if it's a very hard decision, games works 100%.
Asking what I have into the game, 900$ firm."

You can PM here or over on maaca here:
http://www.maaca.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21144

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Played a GL at VFW show. Not a bad machine at all. Was pretty fun.
Certainly left a good impression over some of the other machines I played in that era.

Mr.SunBeam

Jul 14, 2016
toronto
I ended up buying a 1985 Beat the Clock, no multiball or ramps but it is a fun game. Game was in pretty good condition. Going to see how I like it and probably trade for a different one in the future just to keep trying machines. If anyone is interested in seeing pics or a trade let me know . Also probably doing a flipper rebuild if anyone has advice on tips?

Reactions: DRANO

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I ended up buying a 1985 Beat the Clock, no multiball or ramps but it is a fun game. Game was in pretty good condition. Going to see how I like it and probably trade for a different one in the future just to keep trying machines. If anyone is interested in seeing pics or a trade let me know . Also probably doing a flipper rebuild if anyone has advice on tips?

Congrats on your first pin and was this the one in Vaughan a few days ago? It looks pretty nice in the pictures and they also had a Fabi foosball table for sale too I think.