• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

LOTR Balrog moves when it shouldn't

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Balrog issues have been documented a lot, but this one's got me stumped. The Balrog on my LOTR is trying to move when it shouldn't and the usual fixes are not helping.

At the start of the game, the Balrog correctly moves to unblock the centre ramp. As soon as the ball is plunged and again throughout the game, it repeatedly attempts to continue this rotation. The invalid Balrog movements are triggered when certain switches are hit, but not always all of the same switches. With the Balrog removed, a false trigger will cause the Balrog motor post to rotate one full circle and stop again where it should.

During troubleshooting I've found the Balrog is inappropriately triggered every time by some switches (shooter lane, lower right orbit, POTD, left inner loop gate switch etc.), never triggered by others... and only occasionally by the left outlane, left inlane and Spot Ring switch.

I've also 100% confirmed (glass off) Balrog is triggered once by each individual callout during Gollum MB while no other switches are tripped!!

The attempted movement is always in the direction the motor was last told to rotate. Counterclockwise to start the game, but if I start FOTR MB, Balrog correctly moves to block the ramp, then all false triggers move Balrog in the clockwise direction. With Balrog removed each trigger results in a single 360 degree rotation. With Balrog mounted, it pulses a few times as it tries to push its way past the post/ramp blocking its way.

In test mode the Balrog works perfectly.

Over a period of weeks I've tried a number of the usual fixes, in this order, with no success.

1. Reflowed all solder on the Balrog motor relay board, replaced board diode
2. Replaced only Q22 (BALROG MOTOR) with new TIP 102 (even though it seemed to test ok). Tightened board to ensure good ground.
3. Replaced both roller switches and diodes on the Balrog drum unit with new
4. Replaced Balrog motor relay with new one from Mouser, new header pins on relay board
5. New relay board connector using trifurcon pins
6. New connectors and trifurcon pins on either side of the z-connector at the Balrog motor.
7. Swapped I/O driver board with working one from my TSPP.
8. Put original driver board back, swapped in TSPP ribbon cable at J1
8. Replaced connector J7 (lower current solenoid) using trifurcons
9. Reseated CPU chip (v 10.0)

Batteries are good, no leakage. Game is HUO, no hacks. POTD LED figurine lighting, BG eye flasher and stronger flipper coils are the only mods.

At this point I am studying the schematics and suspect a chip/logic issue (I don't have a logic probe). I think I've covered all the under PF possible causes and since my TSPP I/O driver board swap did nothing, I'm not sure where else to look but upstream.

Could a flakey opto be at fault?
Perhaps something related to the DMD? (Gollum MB callouts are each accompanied by a new graphic.)

Any suggestions you might have would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
At first I suspected a bad diode somewhere on the matrix, but your comment about the motor being triggered by sound call outs during Gollum MB led me to believe this was an issue on the MPU and swapping the driver with a known good one pretty much tells you the issue is on the MPU. I would suspect a bad PIA... but that's just my best educated guess.

D

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I just took a look at the MPU schematics as I questioned my PIA statement, and my gut was correct... Stern did not use PIA chips on their MPU. But I'm still certain the issue is on your MPU. Could be a bad PAL at U213... I can't recall if TSPP uses the same PAL as LOTR (I think so as only the LE uses a different one) so you could always swap the PAL over. Basically there is an IC on the MPU that is misinterpreting commands from the CPU/ROM/RAM combo.

D

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Menace said:
At first I suspected a bad diode somewhere on the matrix, but your comment about the motor being triggered by sound call outs during Gollum MB led me to believe this was an issue on the MPU and swapping the driver with a known good one pretty much tells you the issue is on the MPU. I would suspect a bad PIA... but that's just my best educated guess.

D

Right. I only noticed the callouts yesterday after choosing to pursue more extensive gameplay troubleshooting. Mixed emotions really, as it hit me then that my other repairs were a waste.

I'm alway reluctant to swap a good game board into a bad game... but it became a sanity preservation thing after I seemed to eliminate everything else.

Thought I left PIA problems behind when I sold my BK :D

Will be looking at the MPU... Thanks.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Menace said:
I just took a look at the MPU schematics as I questioned my PIA statement, and my gut was correct... Stern did not use PIA chips on their MPU. But I'm still certain the issue is on your MPU. Could be a bad PAL at U213... I can't recall if TSPP uses the same PAL as LOTR (I think so as only the LE uses a different one) so you could always swap the PAL over. Basically there is an IC on the MPU that is misinterpreting commands from the CPU/ROM/RAM combo.

D
I was looking to see which is the PIA... I don't know anything about the Stern MPU.

Looking at the games just now, LOTR and TSPP U213 have the same sticker:
520 - 5136
5519 U213
LAT 02

I agree that it's here somewhere, and having narrowed it down to this board is the most progress I've made in weeks.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
2014+-+4

2014+-+1

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Well, it's not the socketed chips U213 or U209. Nothing left to swap between my TSPP board and LOTR except sound and CPU. At this point I will call Stern.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Luch called them recently for help with his Monopoly and there was no problem with them spending time on the phone with him diagnosing the issue for such an old game, and they did find the problem for him, so I'm sure they'll be helpful.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
luch said:
Yes ask for Chas and have a volt meter ready . he will walk you through all test points .

So much for 21st century pinball technology eh luch? :lol:

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Very interested in what the solution to this ends up being-hopefully it's something you can trace down. Moving the socketed chips didn't make a difference, but did you try the entire board (or are there differences between the two games)?

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Oh you've got a V2 MPU... I'll be VERY interested in what Chas has to say about this issue. Would hate to find out there is an issue with the Xilinx QFP.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
superjackpot said:
Would be nice to have the TP details. They are listed down the side but don't give expected values - at least none that I can interpret.

The reason why you can't interpret anything is because you need to be reading it off a 42" (**bare minimum) 1080p plasma display while having a pint of New Castle just like Doug here.

13387844003_5ba0acbc4c_c.jpg

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Not sure I will have time to get into this with Stern before leaving for Pinburgh. Will address next Monday I guess.

To swap the CPU boards I'd have to move the pull the CPU and Sound ROMS out, at least twice. I thought of it.... and seeing as I how I inadvertently pulled the ram chip with high scores already :FP: it's doable, but it's just too much chip pulling, esp without a proper tool. Anyway, I'm confident it is the CPU board. I may as well go the Chas route and see what's up.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
The reason why you can't interpret anything is because you need to be reading it off a 42" (**bare minimum) 1080p plasma display while having a pint of New Castle just like Doug here.

LOL. I'm finding it hard enough to troubleshoot while trying to wrap things up at work before I leave. The drink wouldn't help at this point.... But believe me, I'd rather be fixing this problem then the ones I have at work ;) ...useless offshore resources... :cry: