• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

MCMElectronics - Tenma 60W Digital Soldering Station on Sale

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
For those who don't have a temperature controlled soldering iron here is the one I have been using the past 2 years. I organized a group buy of 6-7 of these when it went on sale for $39.99 and after exchange, shipping (via USPS) and taxes it cost everyone here just under $60cdn.

21-10115.jpg

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/2 ... gEquipment

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton
Re: MCMElectronics - Tenma 60W Digital Soldering Station on

Just ordered mine a few hours ago. Came at a good time since my current one bit the dust. Might have just needed the iron replaced but this one looks like a better unit then mine so went for it.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton

You don't need to buy as a group. It's on sale for the same group price Mike got. Just put the order in for yourself.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

Slam_Tilt said:
You don't need to buy as a group. It's on sale for the same group price Mike got. Just put the order in for yourself.

The only advantage of buying in a group is you can split the shipping costs.

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton

I don't think you will end up saving that much. Maybe a few bucks. The box isn't very big and not that heavy. Probably spend more money on gas meeting up to pick it up.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto

Slam_Tilt said:
I don't think you will end up saving that much. Maybe a few bucks. The box isn't very big and not that heavy. Probably spend more money on gas meeting up to pick it up.

If a bunch of you are already TOPL regulars and see each other every Monday it would make it worth while.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON

That's kind of what I was thinking anyway. I just hate paying more for shipping than I need to. I figure I've got an OK variable wattage iron, but I should really get something temp controlled.

Any idea how this compares to the ones that Tim was recommending?

Slam_Tilt

Nov 20, 2012
Brampton

Don't forget to order a couple extra tips. It comes with 1 conical tip. I like using the small chisel tips so I ordered two of those.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

Tips are key. You shouldn't be using the same tip for soldering wires and coils as you do for PCB repair. And the most important part is practice! Just because you have an ok iron doesn't mean squat if you don't know how to use it properly. :)

D