• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Micro circuit board components?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Anyone ever done and circuit board work on a new Stern board?

I've got a bad opto board on my WPT from the lower left drop targets. Two of the optos remained closed at all times when they are supposed to be Open and then close when the target drops.

I've already done the usual cleaning and what not, and if I try the board in another connector the problem follows the board.

I sent an email to stern and they said it's either the optos or the transistor on the board.

Optos are cheap at only $5 a piece and I've got them on order.

Problem is, if the optos don't fix it and I need to replace the transistor it's a micro transistor, using micro circuitry, I've never had to work on micro circuitry, do you need special tools?

A replacement board is $96 + tax + shipping so I'd light to exhaust all options before I go that route for two optos.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Micro circuitry? Do you mean surface mount technology?

If that is what you mean, I can fix it for you. (Surprise surprise right?). What's the transistor part#?

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Menace said:
Micro circuitry? Do you mean surface mount technology?

If that is what you mean, I can fix it for you. (Surprise surprise right?). What's the transistor part#?

D

Yep that is what I mean, and yea why do I ever bother posting here, I should just text you directly :p

I think it is a BSS123 transistor, but I''m not great at reading schematics, you can find the schematic of the opto board here:

http://www.sternpinball.com/downloads/W ... T5_GSM.pdf

The first page when you open the PDF is the opto board schematic.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
WARLOCK said:
Adam + Doug,
Let me know what the cost is once this is all done and fixed. That will be my bill to pay. Thank you both in advance.
Scott

Two words.... Dim Sum. That is all. :)

Adam, looked at the schematics, and what makes you sure it's the bss123 and not just the 1n4004 diode? Either way, I can replace either or both of those parts for you quicker than I could if they were thru-hole.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Menace said:
Adam, looked at the schematics, and what makes you sure it's the bss123 and not just the 1n4004 diode? Either way, I can replace either or both of those parts for you quicker than I could if they were thru-hole.

D

Pat Powers from Stern suggested it is either going to be the transistor or the optos.

I'm still waiting on the optos to come in from Playdium.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Ok, once you've got the opto's and confirm we can make plans to replace the BSS123. It'll take me literally 30 seconds, but just remember I charge by the hour. :lol:

D