• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

More pinburgh 2012 videos

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Just started watching this video from last year's pinburgh-there's a great game on TZ at the start of it, and I learned a few things about strategy on this game that I want to try out.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvgnzLYOajE&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

One thing that seemed strange though-why were there only 2 balls in the gumball machine? On mine there are 3 in the trough and 3 in the gumball machine at any given time, so I'm not sure how they were starting powerball mania with only 2 gumballs lit (unless I was miscounting). Tournament mode setting perhaps?

Also nice to see that stuff still breaks at PAPA-now I don't feel so bad about a game going down when I have people over :)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Chris Bardon said:
One thing that seemed strange though-why were there only 2 balls in the gumball machine? On mine there are 3 in the trough and 3 in the gumball machine at any given time, so I'm not sure how they were starting powerball mania with only 2 gumballs lit (unless I was miscounting). Tournament mode setting perhaps?

There was only two ball in the gumball as that is the proper way to set it up for tournament play as it removes most of the randomness from the powerball not coming out for everyone.

You'll see that Bowen and I both comment on the fact that Gavin was not taking full advantage of the gumball and Josh's astronomical score was partially do to the fact that Gavin kept queuing up the powerball for him

With only two balls int he gumball a player only needs to stack up two gumballs in order to receive the powerball, it's much harder when you have to stack up 3 because as an example, you would need to spell it, lock a ball, spell it again, play multiball, and then spell it again to just queue up the needed gumballs, then you still need to make 3 shots to get it out.

With only two balls in the gumball it is much more fair as it is much more likely that a player any player at any time would be able to queue up 2 gumballs and release the powerball in that same turn

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Ah, that's what I figured-so it's just a tournament convention. Did they just find that with 3 balls people just ignored the gumball altogether? I suppose that the other extreme would be one ball in the machine, but that would make it way too easy to get PBM over and over again.

If nothing else, that video made me realize how valuable powerball mania could be though, especially with the collect bonus from the camera. I've tended to not go for it as often, just because it takes a whole bunch of shots to get to, and it's a pretty difficult jackpot to get. I have yet to find a good strategy for banging on the powerfield while trying to keep control of the other balls.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Chris Bardon said:
Ah, that's what I figured-so it's just a tournament convention. Did they just find that with 3 balls people just ignored the gumball altogether? I suppose that the other extreme would be one ball in the machine, but that would make it way too easy to get PBM over and over again.

No what would happen would be what you saw Gavin doing, players would try and go after it drain, and then have someone else pull it out and then be screwed since they would have to start all the way back at 3 again.

With only 2 balls, it makes it more balanced so that unless you aren't playing smart you'll be able to get a PBM.