• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Name your sleeper pin

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Okay, so whether you've been collecting for years or just started, most guys know that most A/B list games have a lot to offer. With enough of these under my belt, I've spent a lot of the last year exploring other eras and types of pins to see what else was out there for me.

One recent purchase is turning out to be a huge revelation. The game is a Bally Special Force from1986.
It's a 6803 platform. They are generally regarded as being super unreliable and many of these games were produced during some lean times at Bally. Generic Bally cabinet art, particle board cabinets with T-molding, a single bulb lighting up the backglass (hmmm, kinda sounds like modern Stern games :lol: )
In short, these are not "collector" games.

Special Force first got on my radar when I saw one for sale about a year ago in Guelph. The seller listed it for $2000... the game is maybe $600 on a really good day. But, it jogged a memory. I could sort of recall it from when I was a kid... but not much else. Anyway, the seed was planted and I did some research. Turns out this was Dennis Nordman's first game... and who doesn't like Dennis?
I ended up finding one in Buffalo for $400 en route to Allentown and, with some help from Cooke, got it mostly running. It came home with some sound problems, but a couple of months later I just bought a $100 NOS MPU for the game and called it a day. Works fine now.

If you've recently picked up Pinball Magazine #2, you'll hear in Dennis' own words how SF was released around the same time as High Speed... and how Williams was really leading the way with their platform and sound system. However, the more I play this game, it is becoming very apparent that Nordman's creativity and the game's programming give it a storyline that is stronger than HS and a playfield design that makes HS look like an EM.

The theme is a pretty severe Rambo meets Nicaraguan conflict. Here's a peek at the layout:

The lower playfield is nothing overly exciting... In fact it borrows a lot from an earlier Bally: Centaur.
The game has two one way gates and posts in the outlanes to allow for some pretty aggressive ball saves.
The inserts keep track of rockets (which you earn via standup targets/ramps and can be "fired" with a second set of flipper buttons to knock down drop targets). They also track bombs (earned the same way) and weapons bonuses and hostages (locked balls)... plus your bonus and multipliers.

The upper playfield has a lot more going on. Not only did Dennis squeeze in 3 pretty cool ramp shots, with the helicopter ramp being an earlier version of his whirlpool design for WH2O, but there are three tank drop targets up the left side hiding a standup, another tank drop target on the right which blocks the entrance to the weapons ramp that builds the weapons bonus. A last drop target up the middle, once dropped,allows the player to lock balls (take hostages).
The pop bumpers behind the left ramp have some unique caps that make them look like a village of huts and are a big part of one of this games coolest features. Nordman also really went all out with the dirt effect ramps and multi-tiered plastics to really bring the jungle theme to life.

So, the gameplay goes something like this:

Spell R O C K E T S and B O M B S via standup targets
Once bombs are collected, hit the flashing standup target LOAD BOMBS to the right of the helicopter ramp. This lights bombs 1, 2 & 3 for every shot. Then make the tough helicopter ramp shot to advance each bumper. Once the ramp shot is made, each bumper fires rapidly like a machine gun and the lights up for a higher value. Each loaded bomb fires one more "hut" in sequence. Not very politically correct, but one hell of a feeling to bomb 3 in a row!

You can rack up some good points by knocking down the right single drop target and making repeated shots to the inside right "weapons" ramp. This is a quick return ramp that returns the ball back to you almost instantly. Making the big right ramp shot collects the bonus and also deposits the ball at the pop bumpers... and awards rockets.

The other main objective is multi-ball and Special Force has a neat mb sequence. First, you have to knock down the middle drop target. Tis cannot be done by shooting rockets via the lower flipper buttons. You have to knock it down and then make a clean shot up the middle to lock a ball in a hidden saucer behind the target. Once this is done, the inserts between the flippers show 1 or 2 hostages taken. Once two balls are locked, you must make the standup target up the left side. It's not an easy shot, so dispensing with the 3 drop targets by first firing 3 rockets is the way to go... then a clean shot up the left corridor will light "Release Hostages" at the right ramp. Make the right ramp and all 3 balls will start to come down through the village (pop bumpers).
During multi ball, you must make that same left corridor shot to "Set Explosives" and light "Escape" in front of the helicopter ramp. Then you simply have to "get to the choppa" and make the helicopter ramp to collect a huge jackpot.

One funny quirk of the programming is that locked balls (or hostages) do not get released after the game is over. They can be taken by other players in a multi player game, or they simply stay locked like little pinball POWs until someone gets them out. All in all, the game has some very nice rules and cool little features that really make it stand out.

In closing, I can't believe how much fun I am having with this very underrated and under appreciated pin. The best $400 I've ever spent in this hobby!

So I'm curious what other sleepers you' guys have found? What pin have you bought or played that you just don't see in every collection, but it knocked your socks off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 944
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 943

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I think GTB Hot Shots would have been one of those for me if I hadn't had to abandon it as a project when I separated from my ex. Typical SYS80B machine electrically (total PITA to fix) but the game had a few of interesting features. 2 huge banks of drop targets (16 targets in total) to go with the shooting gallery/carnival theme, a VUK kicking the ball up in to the ramp structure, which was part of the ball lock if I remember correctly, a ball accelerator to whip the ball at high speed through the ramps and a single drop target positioned between the flippers. If you can get past the really cheesy backglass art, it really looked like a fun game. A very similar drop/stationary target configuration was used on Cue Ball Wizard a few years later, albeit much more spread apart.

I tried contacting the guy I sold mine to, to see if he still had it and had managed to get it running, but I never heard back. I'd love to try a fully working one.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Hmmm. Never played a Hot Shots. The layout and art look pretty cool. Ill have to put that on my list of games to play. Another carnival themed pin I've never tried is Williams Hurricane... although I hear its not great.

A couple of other Gottliebs I've never been able to try are Gold Wings and Genesis.
I finally got to try TX Sector at Allentown and enjoyed it. I only wish I could've heard the music that the game is famous for.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
DRANO said:
Hmmm. Never played a Hot Shots. The layout and art look pretty cool. Ill have to put that on my list of games to play. Another carnival themed pin I've never tried is Williams Hurricane... although I hear its not great.

A couple of other Gottliebs I've never been able to try are Gold Wings and Genesis.
I finally got to try TX Sector at Allentown and enjoyed it. I only wish I could've heard the music that the game is famous for.

Hurricane gets killed by the double ferris wheel ... game play otherwise is okay but the delay in the ferris wheel makes you avoid the shot and you need it.

Gold Wings I've played but a long while ago ... Genesis was at PAPA this year in the C bank and I played a few games ... like alot of those era of gottliebs they are built like a tank but feel clunky .. that said genesis was okay (try avoid looking at the backglass) ... SF is a fun game ... can't say that I remember playing a hot shots.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
SquidVicious said:
that said genesis was okay (try avoid looking at the backglass)

image-11.jpg

Not sure who was in charge or approving all these photo realistic backglasses for Gottlieb at the time :FP:

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Sorta dissapointed... I thought this thread would bring out some real hidden gems. I guess everyone is out buying a NIB Stern LE or something? :lol:

I'll be walking around expo this year for the first time and I'm definitely keeping my eye out for anything I have not tried before... midgets included ;)

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
If you find a Bally Grand Tour while you're at Expo, play it. Fantastic single player EM. And please take pictures of the cabinet art for me. ;)

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
I'm the "king" of the sleepers, as that's all I can afford to own! LOL.

Some of my "sleeper" hits have made it in the last decade to the High "B" or "A" lists now.

STTNG was one. I picked up my first one for around $1700 and no one really wanted it because the "theme" was lame.... :FP:

Others: Indianapolis 500, Johnny Mnemonic, The Shadow, High Speed II : The Getaway, Congo, Pinball Magic (love hate relationship with this one - way too linear for me, but a technological marvel), Black Knight 2000 (I will NEVER forgive myself for selling this one), Doctor Who (the in again, out again, perennial sleeper), WHO Dunnit! (not entirely sure why this one is popular again, game play is way too predictable) : have all zoomed up in the rankings after being overlooked "sleepers" at one time.

I consider these next ones to all to be exceedingly fun "B" or "C" games. Each has their quirks, and I don't study rule sets, so I don't know if there are ways to "cheat" the games:

Fish Tales - (I had to buy this to get a World Cup Soccer '94. I ended up liking Fish Tales MORE than WCS'94). At first the music grates, but it's a difficult pin to master, and now I tap my foot to the music. Wins the award for the "best ever" video mode. Nothing is better than torpedoing jet skiers.

Time Machine - narrow game play, but entertaining pin. This is on my "want" list.

Starship Troopers - a poor man's "Tron" (Also on my want list.)

Black Rose - I "almost" sold this one as being outside my "theme" collection. But then I realized this was a game where I could have one good game for every four or five that hands me my ass on a plate. That's "my kind" of pinball! (Black Knight 2000 is like that too, even though there's actually very little to do in the game, actually achieving a "Special" Jackpot is exceedingly difficult with all those balls flying around on two levels of playfield.) A simple game as far as DMD's go, but it has hidden charms and layers of mode music. Really good video modes that get faster and faster.

Flintstones - People generally poo poo Rosie O'Donnell's voice calls (giggle) in it, but I find it to be an exciting game with lots to shoot for. I particularly like the ball returns coming behind the flippers, and the bowling side game. This game tarts up really well with extra LEDs in the houses and dinosaur, and spots and that sort of thing (as it can be a dark playfield). Needs to be well tuned or a game can become a mess quickly,they even built in programming to sense when the ball doesn't make it around behind the flippers, so this game isn't well tolerated on or just after route.

World Cup Soccer '94 - Honourable Mention. It was an amazing concept (audio, DMD, play field toys) and well put together pin in all respects, there is something about having a crowd cheer you on that just seems to propel you into a frenzy! It's a great crowd pleaser and multi-player game. But it is linear in its modes and game play, and once you've mastered and completed the World Cup a few times as a lone player, it sits back down to take its place in a larger collection.

Rollergames - Another Honourable Mention. It's not the best theme, and not the best single player game, but it shines (in a technocolor way) as a two player game (as would Strange Science, I think, I almost bought one of those) since you can steal the other player's hard work towards a Multi-Ball. Rollergames has enough ingenuity to make it really shine. There's nothing like being distracted by the "stacked" multi-balls coming out to tease you on a little track of their own - reminiscent of the roller skate rink oval. As 80's lame as it is, Steve Ritchie got the interpretive theme perfect DON'T FLIP!...FLIP!

Fire!, Big Guns and Banzai Run stand out for me as other under appreciated and memorable pins from the System 9 / 11 era.

The Gottliebs

System 3's are amazing, they hold a special place in my heart and collection (if you know of any for sale, let me know!) I like the game play in them because Gottlieb focused on "timed" skill shots, and often payed fr'omage to their love of standup targets (the best part of many Gottlieb EM games) - forcing good players to "learn" to sharp shoot and to do it with finesse. It takes "pinball zen" to accomplish some of the actions that require exactly the right shot, or sequence of shots within a certain amount of time (and usually with driving music or a ticker pounding home a reminder that "time's a'wastin'"). In some cases the key to making a later era Gottlieb a "great" game is to play with it's settings, and in particular "Tournament Mode" as Gottlieb made some System 3 games with AI that tries to favour the underdog or to reward the third ball more heavily than any other, their thinking was that people would keep playing their games because they could finish with better scores than they were getting on other games.

Cactus Jack's (It's Party Time!)- Has to be my "all time" favourite sleeper hit. I don't know anyone who doesn't like the game (except maybe Adam). It's a quirky fun-filled fiesta of a food fight with German accented, polka dancing, banjo playing mexican cacti!!??! Once you understand the game it's not difficult to get good scores (we call it being anything but an egg) however the way to get there, hitting particular sets of side targets, is not easy and requires some precision as this game can be a particularly challenging drain monster until you get an idea of it's flow. Of particular note is the ubiquitous "hidden" rubber post in the Outhole. Look away from a draining ball and you might miss the bounce back (same in Stargate). Also, depending on your settings (Tournament mode makes game play more "balanced"), inexperienced crowds go wild over the "Catch Up" feature that occasionally awards the lowest scoring player a big scoring bonus to put them ahead of the game's multi-player leader. This pinball has a mesmerizing playfield insert light show that beats almost ANY DMD animation for entertainment and it's just as distracting. Getting in the "zone" on this one is pure pinball Zen.

Stargate - you either love it, or hate it. I happened to love the movie, loved the TV series (although it has no relationship to the pinball), love sci-fi theme and music pins, love Premier / Gottlieb System 3's . This one "ebbs" and "flows" in popularity, so if you wait for the right timing it is a complex (and heavy!) DMD that can be had at a reasonable cost. It is built like a battleship, and a deep game (for Gottlieb) that requires a fair amount of tuning and flipper strength to make it "flow."

Wipe Out! - hilarious but tacky skiing theme pin with a ski lift for the balls. When I first saw a row of them off route in Oakville going for $2600 retail, I gave it a wide berth. But then I acquired one at a good price and eventually traded it out. I didn't own it long enough, but I loved it while I did, and kept finding little hidden gems (try touching the flippers while it's not coined up!).

Shaq Attaq - Deserves an honourable mention. It has the same "crowd cheering" aspect that moves a game along and motivates the player. Like many of the Premier / Gottlieb's of this DMD era though, it has repetitious call outs that grate on people's nerves. Shooting baskets is always fun. Once again fine tuning the settings and employing Premier/Gottlieb's under-utilized tournament mode can help things. It's back on my want list again.

Some other Gottlieb's I'd love to get my hands on (call me!): TX Sector, Lights-Camera-Action! - Class of 1812, Silver Slugger, Bone Busters, Surf 'n Safari and newer DMD's: Tee'd Off, Gladiators, Frank Thomas' Big Hurt, Waterworld, and maybe a Mario Andretti.

Now, if I could pick up any of these for $400 - $600, I'd probably pass out! :lol:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Welcome Wayne, nice post and sure Adriano will be looking for some of those games to try out at Expo later this week.

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
Damn you Drano, I want you to hate SF. :(

Frankenstien is my sleeper pin. I set this up a year ago thinking I would play it for a couple months and get bored with it and re-fold it or either sell it. Well guess what... it is still set up and has got the most attention from me than any other of my pins since spring. I hate the theme and movie but friggin love the gameplay. I am finding Sega and Data East games the best these days for pure fun factor for me. Needless to say it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Big thanks to some crazy asian for finding this for me.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Great to see you here, websherpa/Wayne! You beat me to the punch...I was going to share Rollergames as my sleeper pin! I will probably still post my love letter to Rollergames very soon, outing it as my sleeper pin, and thus continuing its recent rise out of the ashes of the "C List".

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Hmmmm. I have had no time for sleeper pins yet I don't think.

I went around the continent collecting early Williams SS machines to restore with Sparky. I thought that would be all there was.
Then I became distracted with early Bally and Stern SS pins by playing some that Brewmanager, Menace + Monkeybug owned.
Eventually Mr. Wong convinced completely me to get in motion and get a DMD collection going.
Finally, I have been corrupted by Drano lately to pursue Gottlieb Wedge Heads.

I guess sleeper pins are next.
Just a little behind.
Slowing to crawl.
Almost done.
I hope.
Yes.
--

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Now that's more like it ;)

Thanks guys.
I've never considered FT a sleeper, but Wayne is right, it doesn't appear to get a lot of love. I think its great.
And Banzai Run is another one I have to agree with. It shares the same simple rule set of a game like HS, but it gets you going with some great call outs and, once you get the hang of that upper playfield, its not the disaster that most players make it out to be. I can't wait for mine to get repaired and into the lineup.

Roller games is a definite laugh. After all, who doesn't like guys in spandex leopard print?
Its a fun player.

I definitely want to spend some more time on those late 80's early 90's Gottliebs too.
Hopefully expo delivers this year!

I will add Farfalla to my list of sleepers.
Probably because you just don't see them very often. I picke one up purely based on gameplay videos on YouTube and I'm so glad I did. The theme would never have grabbed me, but what a cool game for its era!
I'd love to grab another 1-2 Zacs if I had te chance.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I find FT is one of those pins you either love or hate. I fall in to the latter category, I've never been able to get in to it.

I would have considered Shadow a sleeper at one point, but not any more, especially since it went through its 'flavour of the month' period.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Williams Fan said:
Big thanks to some crazy asian for finding this for me.

Wait until you unfold and setup Baywatch Jason. That is another sleeper pin that is a lot of fun and still provides very good bang for buck too! I wish I had a chance to keep it longer but it had to go to make room for some other pins that I had lined up at the time. Now I am sort of kicking myself for passing on your very nice DE Time Machine and sort of got the itch again for one :FP:

I've always been curious about Gottlieb Wipeout and it looks pretty cool with the ski lift on the left and the right downhill sort of reminds me of IJ's POA too. I've been snowboarding 13 years now and would mind picking one up for the right price and giving it a bit of a make over.

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
mwong168 said:
Williams Fan said:
Big thanks to some crazy asian for finding this for me.

Wait until you unfold and setup Baywatch Jason. That is another sleeper pin that is a lot of fun and still provides very good bang for buck too! I wish I had a chance to keep it longer but it had to go to make room for some other pins that I had lined up at the time. Now I am sort of kicking myself for passing on your very nice DE Time Machine and sort of got the itch again for one :FP:

I've always been curious about Gottlieb Wipeout and it looks pretty cool with the ski lift on the left and the right downhill sort of reminds me of IJ's POA too. I've been snowboarding 13 years now and would mind picking one up for the right price and giving it a bit of a make over.

I have played Baywatch a ton on location and love it and that's why I purchased yours (and yes it is still folded)...thanks again. Yeah, my Time Machine was mint and I was shocked you passed on it.

I have a Wipeout that I bought at last years Ottawa pinball show but have yet to set it up :FP: . I loved playing that on location as well.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Williams Fan said:
I have played Baywatch a ton on location and love it and that's why I purchased yours (and yes it is still folded)...thanks again. Yeah, my Time Machine was mint and I was shocked you passed on it.

I have a Wipeout that I bought at last years Ottawa pinball show but have yet to set it up :FP: . I loved playing that on location as well.

16.jpg

Dr. Pinball was showing off his Baywatch with a large LCD replacement screen and outputting via DMD Extender + Rasperberry Pi in colour at the Play Expo 2013 show.

I wasn't expecting my deal to fall through at the same time for a really nice HUO SM and being limited on space I had to pass otherwise I would have kept Baywatch for a bit longer. You still got the little kid's email who bought the Time Machine from you or I think you said he lives not far away?

If you ever consider selling Wipeout let me know and enable me for once ;)

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
That is friggin cool, I want one for my Baywatch.

I don't have the 10 year olds e-mail anymore that bought my TM (he actually bought it with his own money, not his parents) but I know he found me on Kijiji. Maybe posting a WTB ad in the Ottawa section of Kijiji like a lot of the other Ottawa vultures do from these pin sites may net it for you. He does live 5 min away but I cannot remember the exact house as it was dark when I delivered it.

I will let you know if I ever part with Wipeout.