• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Name your sleeper pin

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
Oh, and back on track so we don't hijack Dranos thread any longer....I also find Gottleib Incredible HULK a sleepr as well. I love the fact that you can get up to 5x bonus multiplier and can collect bonus during your ball once it maxes out and it then resets.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Out of all the games I've bought and sold, Rollergames is the only one to make it back into the collection... And I only bought my first one because it was cheap! Turned out to be a seriously fun game, so I'd say that's my personal sleeper pin. Now I've got a couple Zacc's waiting to get added to my working lineup along with WWFRR, none of which I have played ever so one of these could end up becoming the sleeper pin.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here is another pin which I don't own but have played at Adam's and I think is a sleeper is Radical! They are hard to find or come across to play as only ~1315 of them were produced. It's got 4 flippers, drops and ramps galore! When I first played it on my PinMAME cab I assumed it was a Dennis Nordman design just cause it was so funky and it had a whirlpool ramp which is found on his other games Special Forces and White Water. If a nice one popped up for sale right now I would considering sacrificing one of my beloved DMD titles for it. If you see one this week at Expo make sure you give it a try Drano.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
mwong168 said:
Here is another pin which I don't own but have played at Adam's and I think is a sleeper is Radical!

I've been trying to pry a Radical! out of Williams Fans or Vengeance's hands to no avail.
Feel in love at Pinburgh and have been looking ever since...
Love the cheesy music and late 80s / early 90s style, the theme really appeals to me as I grew up skateboarding.

I bought a translite from the church at the Ottawa show that used to hang in JPOPs office.

I will have one someday, mark my words (probably after wong gets tired of his, as I'm sure he will find one first) !!

Other sleepers for me include Robocop and Laser War.
Both simple and fun games with great sound and art.

Attachments

• rad.JPG
    rad.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 722

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
We got to play a lot of games that I normally wouldn't.
Let's see.. Some additional sleepers.

Gottlieb gladiators was a lot of fun
I enjoyed Dirty Harry too, Firepower 2, STT wasn't bad.
I had nev really played GNR, but I had an awesome game on that pin and it raised a few eyebrows.

I'm sure there are others I've forgotten

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
My Sleeper: Rollergames (1990, Williams)

I thought this was my sleeper pin because I was one of the ten people that actually watched the show when it was first broadcast. A classic case of theme-blindness. But there has been a recent rash of Ritchie boosters and value seekers here and abroad that have been touting the attributes of Rollergames. Picked up the game a year and a half ago from websherpa. From what I can tell he misses it dearly.

- Has to win the award for best pinball music not composed by Chris Granner. The main theme was the theme from the TV show and translates well to the clicks and beeps of a System 11 composition. Different music for hurry-up, jackpot, post-jackpot and two-ball lock pre-multiball.
- Custom speech, probably from the original “actors” (or “athletes”) or reasonable facsimiles. Manager Skull, who acts as the heel (he’s the bald bearded fellow on the PF), and an unknown female who is the face (probably Dar the Star, who they attempted to catapult to stardom with a recording career).
- The ball lock is awesome. Light the lock via the three drop targets. Hit the VUK which sends the ball to the upper flipper. |If the magnet is activated, its tees your shot up for an easy flip up ramp and into the lock (you get a little audio help too...”DON’T FLIP....FLIP!”). If the magnet is not activated, it takes some pretty good timing to get it up the lock ramp. A cool feature is that during gameplay with one or two balls locked, the locked balls are randomly fired through their own orbit and then back into the lock, which makes for an interesting distraction. Locked ball stealing with multiple players. Balls stay locked when game is over. All the hard work of locking two balls can be stolen by the next player (it’s a real drag) or continued in your next game.
- Three ball multiball with great musical accompaniment. Hit the ramp for jackpot...that’s about it. The “Kick Butt” jackpot music starts complete with record scratching...which is the best tune in the entire game.
- “Sudden Death” mode starts at random, unpredictable intervals. Sometimes it’ll start three times per game, sometimes none. Can be controlled in the menus. The magnet is activated for all shots to the VUK during SD. Ramp shots, again, are jackpot.
- Left outlane kickback. Love a kickback! Solenoid kicks the ball back to another solenoid which sends the ball screaming around the orbit.
- Art package is fantastic. Really captures the spirit of the show. Industrial red grating gives it that arena feel. Neon and confetti. Coloured wireforms. Awesome light show. Advertising tie-ins. The Van Gelder twins on the backglass. Captures the feel of the whole decade.
- To use Steve Richie’s word, the licence of Rollergames “vaporized” before the pin hit the streets. Sixteen episodes of the show were produced before bankruptcy hit. But that doesn’t hurt this game at all. The aging hipsters have brought back the roller derby recently (albeit with all-female squads on a flat track, not the mixed-gender figure eight of RG). Thus, the machine is so far divorced from the licence, that it can be enjoyed, simply, as a roller derby themed game.
- Visitors to my basement like the other games I have, but this one is the CLEAR fan favourite amongst non-pinball players. Pretty simple what needs to be done and the kinetics of the ball keep everyone happy. Minimal stop-n-go action with a non-claustrophobic playfield. It probably helps that all of the people are my age, and its brings them back to a time of snap bracelets, Hypercolour t-shirts, Hulk Hogan and the Fine Young Cannibals.

Classic Gameroom’s review...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXYTJ96hgVs[/youtube]

A full episode of Rollergames...Rockers vs. Violators
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP6xT_ThxdI[/youtube]

The “PIT”...which is filled with alligators...for “Sudden Death” overtime. Yep, the alligator has his own theme song. Sadly, no alligator imagery appears in/on the pinball machine.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f7g-e9Fjwg[/youtube]

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I only played SST a few times, but I thought it was pretty neat. That was the one with that extra mini flipper at the bottom, right? No idea how it holds up long term.

Tcooper

Jan 20, 2013
Cambridge
Raven, has a super bad rap, I think it plays really well, the ramp when it drops is a nice challenging shot, the sniper pop up/ drop down targets are great. Wish it had better translate art but I have an alternate translate which I love. Added play field toys and LEDs and it looks great

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
I also have to add that TFTC would be the last pin to leave my collection. I friggin love everything about that pin.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Williams Fan said:
I also have to add that TFTC would be the last pin to leave my collection. I friggin love everything about that pin.

I'm a big fan of mine as well. I realized it's a keeper for me a couple of weeks ago when I had someone give me an offer on it that was substantially more than what I paid for it (and more than its worth) and I turned it down. I just came to the conclusion that I would only use the money to try and find another one so it was pointless.

Sent from my Nexus 4

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I recently picked up a Golden Eye and finding it to be a great game. Everything is timed, so I find you are constantly on your toes when playing the game. Much like Bond, there is no rest when playing Golden Eye :) Still comes up for a fair price now and again.

I also own a STT and agree it is a great game. Not sure it is still a sleeper as interest on it has picked up in the last year. Still, it is reasonably priced compared to some Williams titles.

Cheers,
Duane

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
DRANO said:
One recent purchase is turning out to be a huge revelation. The game is a Bally Special Force from 1986.

Please turn your Special Force into a Special Force Girls. Just read Nordman's interview in Pinball Magazine #2 and it reminded me of the change the Germans made to the machine's art. Sexier and cheesier...can't lose. Also, it would probably add like, $25 to its resale value...

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=3270

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Trust me, I've been keeping an eye out for a backglass. Not so easy to find... especially in North America.