• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Nascar garage working "currently"

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I am swapping out a transistor on my Stern Nascar.
22NE10L STP transistor
When I was swapping out some TIP 122 on my Checkpoint it was suggested I use TIP 102 (pretty sure those were the numbers, its been a while) anyhow....
I usually swap the same component but I was wondering if there was a more robust component I could use as it is for the garage (a very high use area).
Thanks

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I will probably just order both from elelsu in London. They will mail me the parts and I was going to build a 3a breaker for the testing as I only have 3 fuses left.
Didn't see the link to read about it but maybe my tech buddy will know.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
I couldn't find any IRL540N....
I called starburst and I ordered 2 of the suggested alternates.
40NF10L
Mosfet BUK9529 N-CHA
After reading the LOR repair log that I will have the flipper transistors checked/swapped at the same time.
Just wondering which ones to put where now.....

Last edited:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
The suggested alternates are basically the same as the IRL540N, so you're good to go. The only FET's you should consider upgrading are the ones that control the flippers. All the other coils should be fine.

D

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
My tech buddy wants me to inquire.
So can a defective latch thats turning on the FET cause oscillating solenoid ( 8 bit latch htc273 )???

Last edited:

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Can't say I've ever seen a latch oscillate, usually it either works or it doesn't. Has he probed the line with a probe or scope to see what it's doing?

D

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
He was just wondering if he should even bother.
The difference between a house call and a simple I will drop off the board and pick it up when it is done.
I find it funny that he finds things he likes in the designs of my DE and wonders why other companies don"t do things the best way...

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
He hasn't had a chance to work on my williams.
My high speed by far is the best machine for not breaking down. It hasn't broke down once since I got it from TOPEC.
Knock on wood.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
20150928_100152.jpg 20150928_100124.jpg
I pulled the I/O board to have the Q14 transistor (garage) replaced.
Low and behold this is not the first time this component has been pulled as there is a IRL540N installed.
Looks like it will blow the suggested replacement. Looks like I will take up my repair techs offer to socket this component as there is only so many times you can solder the board without chancing board damage.
Also, I can see that C25 ( 100uF, 150v, Radial Lytic Cap ) and C27 ( 15000 uF 35v, Radial Lytic Cap ) have been replaced at one time. I will bring the manual to work so my tech can help me figure out what C27 and C27 do.
I should have my board back within a day or two.
Looking forward to ending this thread.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Well it wasn't the transistor. At least I got a socket put in.
I will have to have my buddy bring his logic probe by.
Otherwise the bridge rectifier seems to be the next most likely area.

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Well yesterdays home visit by my tech seems to be like all the rest. The game gets some work done, plays a few games smooth and then proceeds to act weird after he leaves.
After some more metering we determined the raise garage coil is not anywhere near the voltages of the required/real coil.
The replaced coil goes upwards of 5v not the 3v of the required coil. Tried a flipper coil as I had one lying about but it wouldn't lift the assembly. Put the 5v back in and a 5v slo blow as opposed to the 3v sb that should be there. Worked fine for a few test games.
After my tech biddy left now the garage just pops up and falls down over and over. Still wondering why the garage down coil is powering to drop it.
Going to have to order the correct coil for the garage raise and start all over again with diagnosing.
Until then I guess no garage fuse...

BMHouze

Mar 11, 2014
Delhi Ontario
Today I received the proper stern coil for the garage.
Of course that didn't change anything. So, since it seemed the lock for the up position was the problem I turned it around the lock plunger to see if that would have any effect. Again, no change. Then I had a bit of an ah ha moment and remembered we had thought the switch wires were wrong (tried them aready) so I unscrewed the switch and screwed it back on the other way so the leaf of the switch is always touching the mech and it only needs to mobe very slightly to engage.
Voila! Problem "currently" solved.