• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Need a transistor

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I haven't previously needed to replace the diode for a dead transistor

Rule of thumb... whenever you replace a coil transistor ALWAYS replace the associated diode at the same time. It's cheap insurance. (or at the VERY LEAST test the diode with your DMM to ensure it's OK, but even then it could be stressed and fail and then destroy your new transistor / FET)

D

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Reactions: Vengeance

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Question is have you found the original problem that killed the new FET's you installed? If not, these new ones will suffer the same fate...

D

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Maybe test the diode first before you replace it to get confirmation that is the issue? Could save another FET if that isn't it.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
If it's not he diode, not the transistor and not the coil, what else could it be??

This is supposed to be a pretty common issue with Sterns and it happened exactly as I heard, was cradling the ball, flipper died.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Oh it's likely the diode, but when you are troubleshooting something it's best to know 100% what is causing the issue so you know that you have 100% corrected the problem. (at least that's how I roll)

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Oh it's likely the diode, but when you are troubleshooting something it's best to know 100% what is causing the issue so you know that you have 100% corrected the problem. (at least that's how I roll)

D

In case you haven't figured it out yet I spend my time just stabbing around in the dark hoping for the best :D

Troubleshoot electronics not my strong suit, when I read something that says "Replace the transistor" that's what I do :) If someone then says replace the transistor and the diode, that's what I do :D I could try and confirm but half the time when I do I'm either doing it wrong and getting the wrong readings or doing it right and not understanding what I'm seeing :)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
In case you haven't figured it out yet I spend my time just stabbing around in the dark hoping for the best :D

Poor Denise... :p

$%28KGrHqYOKo0E3EyhHkG1BN5Duv4n0w~~0_35.JPG

Reactions: spiroagnew

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Why hope for the best when you can just call the best --> Menace for a service call?

That is in the plan, but this should be a simple fix.

Going to get Doug to help with the Devil's Dare once I'm done the ground mods, also may need a hand with the Disco Fever TOPL will be using for the pinball machine giveaway.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
FINALLY!

Replacing diode and transistor and game is playing again!!

Note to self for the future always replace both.

Thanks Doug!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Reactions: Menace