• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

need someone to repair computer switching power supply

Dave Astill

Nov 27, 2012
Collingwood Ontario
anyone here know how to fix old switching power supplies without schematics? i have one from a jukebox that is dead. i have spent a few hours testing components etc but cant get anywhere with it.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Yikes... without any sort of schematics I can see how this would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Any chance you know the spec's of the old supply so you can just replace it with something current?

D

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Without knowing anything about the specifics, the first thing I would do (as I know you are safety savvy too Dave) is to look for any "puffed" electrolytic capacitors (the X on the top will look bulged, if not actually leaking fluid). Those are normally the first thing to go, and very often if you can replace them you can bring older electronics back to life (normally with the same nominal values, but you can also use a higher voltage rating when replacing capacitors). I have resurrected numerous LCD Monitors this way.

Second thing to do would be to map the voltage outputs and find an equivalent replacement. Do you have a photograph of what it looks like, or any markings that would indicate a part number?

Wayne