• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Nitro Pinball comes east

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
Ontario and NB have HST. You can’t avoid the provincial part. In QC, the GST and PST are still separate. Both together is about 15.5% in QC, so about the same as the HST provinces. Both my Labyrinth and P3 came from the US and crossed in Ontario. I only paid GST on both. Shipping and brokerage was about 2500$ so way more expensive than domestic shipping but by saving the $2k in PST it comes out about the same.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
This is bad news for me. I will now have to pay nearly $2k more for my Looney Tunes that I had ordered because I will get the QC tax, which I wouldn't have had to pay before. Shipping won't be $2k cheaper so it's certainly NOT almost equivalent to having more tax to pay.

But it's nice to have a "local" distributor for all the manufacturers that aren't already covered by P1.
If he ships it to you, you are subject to Ontario HST. If you pick it up, QST/GST (14.975%).

Last edited:

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
Ontario and NB have HST. You can’t avoid the provincial part. In QC, the GST and PST are still separate. Both together is about 15.5% in QC, so about the same as the HST provinces. Both my Labyrinth and P3 came from the US and crossed in Ontario. I only paid GST on both. Shipping and brokerage was about 2500$ so way more expensive than domestic shipping but by saving the $2k in PST it comes out about the same.
Unless you imported your games from the US via a business, they should have been subject to HST, (not just GST)...?

Reactions: PhilouFelin

dp1622

Jan 15, 2024
Burlington
Hey Jeff,

I think the main difference between Nitro and P1 is the philosophy of the company. At Nitro, we are a company of pinheads for the pinheads! We do not rent caroussels in funfair or manage restaurants and bars. We are specialized in pinball, that's what we love and that's what we do!

On top of that, we are very competitive on prices and as you'll see in the next few months, we'll come up with new pinball related products, promotions and contests. In the last year alone, I contributed to the birth of the first pinball expo in the province of Quebec, I started a pinball league, I launched a new pinball media (Pinball Club) available on Facebook, Youtube and Twitch where we present live streams and where we discuss with the pinball community, all that while I was working on starting my company and building a partnership with Tommy!

For the next year, I want to help our community to grow by being involved in leagues accross Eastern Canada and help organizing events in different provinces.

Nitro for me is not just selling a machine, it is offering an experience and making it accessible to the more people as possible. At the end of the day, if someone is looking for a price, then let's compare both offers and make a choice! If someone's a true pinhead and he wants more than just having a machine in his basement, I think he will end up at Nitro Pinball pretty quickly!
Doesn't Stern set the MAP on pins?? By competitive, do you mean not charging sales tax?

dr.nybble

Nov 28, 2014
Ottawa
You should be charged the tax of your home province? If you are buying a personal machine how can you avoid paying both taxes?

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
Unless you imported your games from the US via a business, they should have been subject to HST, (not just GST)...?
Correct. Maybe he meant he brought them into Quebec from the US?

Anything coming into Ontario is subject to HST 13%.

Back in the separate GST PST days though, I remember ordering stuff from small out of province retailers because even shipped there was savings on bigger ticket items to avoid PST.

kool1

Sep 14, 2021
Oakville ON
Dealt with P1 6 times in the last 2 months. Unless they start predatory pricing not much can really change. Aren't prices set by the manufacturers?

I meant more from P1 in terms of things like service, store hours and an actual shopping web site.

I have no complaints about the pinball machine prices at P1, they are what they are.

Reactions: dp1622

Smokezz

Apr 29, 2019
Kingsville, ON
Nice. If only the shipping on the Voodoo glass wasn't so brutal LOL, I've been itchin for a while to get a couple widebody sheets but $180 for shipping hurts.

ALJO

Apr 6, 2013
St.Romuald
You should be charged the tax of your home province? If you are buying a personal machine how can you avoid paying both taxes?
Yes, exactly, from your home province, it works just the same if you pick up a game from a company in the U.S. , they don't charge the taxes if you are from another country, the customs will take care of that quite easilly.
How to avoid paying both taxes? = you give the buyer yoiur address, quite easy. :)

ALJO

Apr 6, 2013
St.Romuald
Nice. If only the shipping on the Voodoo glass wasn't so brutal LOL, I've been itchin for a while to get a couple widebody sheets but $180 for shipping hurts.
For my part, if I can get Voodoo glass without having to pay the shipping fees because I can pick up, I'll be happy to have waited...... Because I feel that 180$ for shipping is way too much as well.
I was about to buy new regular tempered glass for my TZ because I did'nt want to unfold that kind of money just for playfield glass......

Fifty

Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Like others have stated, this isn't how it works. You just have to provide proof of your primary residence in Ontario and then you are only subjected to Ontario taxes. The same rules apply if you buy a washer/dryer combo at Costco over in Gatineau and have it delivered. If you are just buying it off the shelf and tossing it into the back of your truck then that's when you'll eat the local tax.

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario
Hey Jeff,

I think the main difference between Nitro and P1 is the philosophy of the company. At Nitro, we are a company of pinheads for the pinheads! We do not rent caroussels in funfair or manage restaurants and bars. We are specialized in pinball, that's what we love and that's what we do!

On top of that, we are very competitive on prices and as you'll see in the next few months, we'll come up with new pinball related products, promotions and contests. In the last year alone, I contributed to the birth of the first pinball expo in the province of Quebec, I started a pinball league, I launched a new pinball media (Pinball Club) available on Facebook, Youtube and Twitch where we present live streams and where we discuss with the pinball community, all that while I was working on starting my company and building a partnership with Tommy!

For the next year, I want to help our community to grow by being involved in leagues accross Eastern Canada and help organizing events in different provinces.

Nitro for me is not just selling a machine, it is offering an experience and making it accessible to the more people as possible. At the end of the day, if someone is looking for a price, then let's compare both offers and make a choice! If someone's a true pinhead and he wants more than just having a machine in his basement, I think he will end up at Nitro Pinball pretty quickly!
A few messages back and forth with you on messenger the other day and I could tell that you guys are passionate about this business. I'm new to pins and only a few hrs from Que.

Reactions: PhilouFelin

Jaraplus519

Dec 9, 2021
London, ON
Wanted to post up and share my recent experience with Nitro Pinball east, as I purchased a NIB Stern Deadpool Pro from them a couple of weeks ago.

Philippe at Nitro was great to work with, great communication through the whole process. The machine was shipped via Day and Ross to my door, it was here in a few days (I'm in London ON), and the shipping rate was very reasonable.

Overall a great experience and I would recommend them to anyone here in the east looking for another option over P1, nothing against P1 but nice to have a choice.

Deadpool is home and here to stay for some time, this game is great!!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 27
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

dp1622

Jan 15, 2024
Burlington
Wanted to post up and share my recent experience with Nitro Pinball east, as I purchased a NIB Stern Deadpool Pro from them a couple of weeks ago.

Philippe at Nitro was great to work with, great communication through the whole process. The machine was shipped via Day and Ross to my door, it was here in a few days (I'm in London ON), and the shipping rate was very reasonable.

Overall a great experience and I would recommend them to anyone here in the east looking for another option over P1, nothing against P1 but nice to have a choice.

Deadpool is home and here to stay for some time, this game is great!!
Wonder what the price would have been from P1? Probably could have saved the shipping by picking up at their London office no?