• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

October Container Deal discussion

stuartr7

Dec 18, 2012
HI Guys,

It was nice to meet you all and put faces to names.

My Last action hero turned out to be the best condition,
the Johnny Mnemonic was rougher than I 'd hope for, but at least boots with a few issues.
but the worst was the star trek, makes me sick just looking at it, rust everywhere,cpu board corrosion, missing flipper assembly has been ripped out, missing trough boards, and the display with one line missing is completely dead, play field wear dead center, the list goes on, it's more like a serious project machine

all in all I would not recommend it and would only consider it again if I got more details.

Merry Christmas everyone

stuartr7

Dec 18, 2012
hey guys
anyone know where I can source the cam and linkage for the left star trek cannon, mine has most of that assembly missing :evil:

thanks

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora

good_buddy83

Dec 19, 2012
Beamsville
Just thought I would repost this for any others looking for a container deal. As you have read already it is a bit of a crap shoot. Here are my thoughts on my Shadow. The more I play with it the happier I am becoming about the machine. It has definately been neglected, but at least it has not been pillaged and hacked.

The Bad:
-lots humidity damage. Rusty mechanism, rusty ramps, rusty balls etc. Also the back of the back box absorbed a lot of water somewhere along the way and all the paint is flaking off.
-Lots of mechanical issues, diverts, drop targets, battle field etc.
-More plastics to replace than I thought. Maybe they will rerun the plastic set?
-Blue spring steel starting to rust at the bottom of the ramps.
-found brass sleeves in the flipper coils with oiled plungers. I’ll bet some old school EM dude did this. Oiled plungers with Brass sleeves. No worries, I pre-ordered flipper re-build kits anyway.

Now for the good news:
-Playfield is slightly nicer than I was expecting. It will shine up nice. Crazing around the magnet, but not through to the wood.
-DMD looks and runs like new.
-Sound is sounding good.
-Every single light bulb seems to work on the matrix, but just noticed all my playfield GI's are out. (Maybe a fuse?)
-No mods on the boards that I could see. All looks really nice. Plus a remote battery holder is already installed.
-The underside of the playfield looks really nice, clean, and un-hacked. Looks really nice from the inside.
-Cabinet is as expected. Nicks and scrapes, but overall solid other than the backbox mentioned above. Needs new head decals, but I knew that from the pictures at the warehouse.
-Switches all seem to work, ball trough good, solenoids are either working or trying to fire. Electronics on this one seem good, I replaced a fuse, bent a switch and that was it.
-I was surprised that the motor on the battlefield seems to work fine too. I was sure I would have to tear that thing apart.
As mentioned it will take time, but I am hoping to be 100% working and shopped before Christmas.

Hammerhead

Nov 16, 2012
Melbourne
Having never dealt with a container before I had much trepedation leading up to last weekend.

My RS cabinet had the anticipated decal damage and dings but appears structurally sound. Playfield and inside the cabinet are gross, dirty as hell, and have some surprises with broken plastics, melted dome lights, missing pop bumper caps, rubbers that are hard as bricks, etc., but all can be fixed relatively easily. Having issues with the voltage jumper. It seems my .093" Molex pins aren't quite .093". As a result haven't been able to assess the electrical or mechanical condition so far (fingers crossed).

The RFM cabinet had similar issues to RS (thank you Customs Canada :evil: ). However, cabinet and playfield are fairly clean and in good shape. I got the one with the broken monitor; not sure if that was a good idea yet, but I know someone who does cheap monitor repairs so hopefully that will work out. Having similar issues with the voltage jumper so this game is not up and running either. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=237

All in all, I knew I was in for some work and I need something to keep me bust over the Winter. Unlike others ;) , these games won't be running by Christmas, but that's OK too.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
All in all, it sounds like these games will clean up nice with some time and elbow grease which is all anyone can expect from container games. Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed, but the price you pay should also reflect that. The risk with container games is you never know exactly what you're going to get until it's in your hands... For the most part it looks like the risk has been worth it, which is great to hear.

D

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I have been too busy to really do much with my Cactus Canyon but I did just have a few minutes with it a couple of days ago after finally setting it up.
The game powers up and plays. There are errors which I have to investigate and some switches and solenoids are obviously not working. Howeveer, I was able to play a full game even with these errors.
I paid a premium for this title and, although it is cosmetically rough, it is what I expected; a working machine in need of some love.

I will have a full day with it on Monday and will offer a more detailed report of the condition so future buyers can gauge what they may (or may not) get on one of these deals.
Overall, pretty satisfied for now. I don't think I would have any issue doign it again... and I almost did. Had the timing not been so close together I would have easily gotten the TOTAN on Gerard's most recent container.

My only complaint was that the legs for each game should have been wrapped and clearly marked for each pin... and the balls removed.
By the time I arrived to the truck they had been picked through and I ended up with a very rusty set that were all mismatched and different heights. Considering what I paid, it would have been nice to get the ones that were on the game. Not a huge deal obviously, but just something to think about.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Just a quick update:

So I had some time to set the game back to factory defaults (and set it back to English :D) and ran a few diagnostics.
Overall, not bad. The only error showing was "time and date not set", but I know for sure that some switches must not be registering or need adjustment because the pop bumpers are not firing.
I ran a solenoid check and only two are not working (the orbit lane gate and the mine).
Surprisingly all lamps were bright and working. No flashers are functioning so I'll have to check connections and fuses.
There is no key to the backbox so I'll have to remove the security screws to get the lock out and see the boards.
Pretty happy overall. Doesn't seem like I have too much to fix. The playfield has only minor wear that I should have no problem touching up prior to clearcoating.

Very pleased.
Thanks Gerard!

level42

Nov 15, 2012
Kitchener, ON
ultra64.ca
I never get in on these because by the time the list is posted, often without disclosing any price points, the top 5 machines are already pre-claimed and I'm left choosing between a $2,000 Lethal Weapon 3, or a $3,000 Revenge from Mars ...

Ancient Games

Nov 15, 2012
Kawartha Lakes, ON
Menace said:
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed,
D

Exactly. I believe I paid project prices in todays market and kept my expectations very low for sight unseen machines. I was pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately its a bit of a gamble and in some cases people may be a little disappointed that their machines require more work than expected.

stuartr7

Dec 18, 2012
Hi Guys
hope you all have a merry christmas,
does anyone do board work?, the sound board on the sttng is roached
also is anyone able to replicate metal work, the left cannon is missing the fan shaped cam the attaches to the cannon via the 2 plastic arms,
I have ordered the plastic arms, but sill need to replicate or source the metal fan shaped cam

Thanks

Aerostarz

Nov 19, 2012
Whitby
www.flickr.com
stuartr7 said:
Hi Guys
also is anyone able to replicate metal work, the left cannon is missing the fan shaped cam the attaches to the cannon via the 2 plastic arms,
I have ordered the plastic arms, but sill need to replicate or source the metal fan shaped cam

Thanks
If you are in a rush for the metal work.. Take the good one to your local "Metal Super market". There are also different local stores which provide the same service. http://www.metalsupermarkets.com/

Gerry

Nov 14, 2012
St-Georges de Beauce, Québec
stuartr7 said:
Hi Guys

Thanks

si tu n'aime vraiment la sttng, tu peux la revendre au même prix que tu l'a payer, à ce prix, je sus certain que tu vas avoir plusieur acheteur... :(