• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Paypal scam - is there a scam that starts with getting a paypal account?

ritewhereiwant2b

Dec 22, 2013
Oakville
Im selling a pin on Kijiji and a prospective buyer seems very eager to get my paypal account to transfer the money to me. They could be eager to buy the pin or, Im not sure? Is there a scam with starts with getting my paypal account?

goodmanners

Jun 17, 2014
Mississauga
If someone can't come get the pin right away I sometimes take a small deposit via PayPal (to show they are serious about buying) and then ask for the balance in cash when they come to pick up the game. I have done this for pins that I have bought in the states also to show seriousness in purchasing said pin when I couldn't get there right away.
It seems like less of a risk....

Good luck with this.

If someone is super eager to get a pin I figure they will come look at it and bring cash. That's what I have almost always done.
The only time is when I can't get there quickly. For any other reason (I just like PayPal for buying/PayPal is easier/etc) I would think it's a scam.

Reactions: Francis

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Unless they are willing to send it as personal, it's a scam.

They will pay you in full, take the game and then dispute the sale claiming it was never received.

PayPal will then refund their money and you get fucked since you'll have no proof he actually took possession of it.

Cash is king otherwise get it as a personal transfer or something that can't be reversed like a bank transfer.

Everything else you are opening yourself up to risk

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

ritewhereiwant2b

Dec 22, 2013
Oakville
Thanks for the wisdom guys. So the prospective buyer was all hot and heavy to buy via paypal and then arrange for movers to pick-up the pin. Once I said no to Paypal and giving the coice of EMT or paying in cash, I have not hear from him. So the red-flags are waving now. So, Id like to help protect those of us in our hobby and share contact info of this possible scammer. But, then I thought, does a scam alert list already exist on Pinball Revolution?

Jordan B

Sep 8, 2015
Vernon, BC
In Paypal scams like this, the account is often compromised, or backed by a stolen credit card. This means a month or two could go by before all the warnings are raised along the line, and then suddenly you'll be out the cash when it gets clawed back.

There are some seller protections you could take, but it would involve matching photo ID to the verified account holder name + address, but in the end it's DEFINITELY not worth the hassle.

That said, it's my understanding that Western Union is not in fact reversible. You go in to a Western Union depot and receive the money transfer as cash, full stop. Interac on the other hand has a digital paper trail, so if it winds up having been funded from a compromised account, there's a chance that it could be reversed all the way to you.

Bottom line, as Vengeance says, cash is king.

EVH

Feb 14, 2014
Mississauga
FYI, PayPal is not a governed financial institution. They can make their own rules. I refuse to use them. They will not help you cover funds they work on their own interests. This is why the tell you to use them to dispute charges not your bank. When you dispute with your credit card, PayPal gets credited, they hate that. Always dispute with your credit card company and rule #1 if their is fraud, you will lose. PayPal will not.

Reactions: Menace