• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

PBrev app

cooke

Nov 14, 2012
London, Ontario
www.londonpinball.ca
Monkeybug said:
cooke said:
If posting here were as easy as posting to twitter, that would be awesome. We need an app!! Forums are soooo 2005 'n' shit.

@londonpinball

Yes I agree! And as we know...twitter is quality over quantity.... or...Wait? Or is it the other way around?

Oh yeah! And your quality posts are so critically important and never superfluous. We wouldn't want to do anything to change the quality of the content on this or any other forum! Status quo ftw! Progressive change NOOOO THANK YOU!!!

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
cooke said:
Monkeybug said:
cooke said:
If posting here were as easy as posting to twitter, that would be awesome. We need an app!! Forums are soooo 2005 'n' shit.

@londonpinball

Yes I agree! And as we know...twitter is quality over quantity.... or...Wait? Or is it the other way around?

Oh yeah! And your quality posts are so critically important and never superfluous. We wouldn't want to do anything to change the quality of the content on this or any other forum! Status quo ftw! Progressive change NOOOO THANK YOU!!!

But if more people start posting garbage from their Iphones....then what will I do? My monopoly will crumble. Think of the children!

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
For there is be an app, we would need to use a commercial bulletin board software. phpBB is free, and quite old. It has not been modernized or updated in a long time.

Commercial BB software costs about $400 , for example vBulletin is a very good platform ...

Hopefully this weekend, I will have time to add a paypal contribute campaign, where we can try to raise money to purchase a commercial program to take PBR to the next level. Stay tuned.

Derek

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
It would be neat if Brock could arrange to get paid sponsors on board for some banner ads by PBL, BAA, PDI and whoever else might be interested in some additional exposure. I know I emailed Terry at PBL a few years ago about getting a banner on maaca and he seemed open to the idea. I sent a PM to Sparky or another admin back when they were asking for donations to help out with the costs of running the forum before an anonymous source came in to help out. I personally don't mind banner ads as long as they are related to pinball.

Derek what about Tapatalk?

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
I'll look into tapatalk, problem is the free one is full of ads ... and the paid one is $39/month which is pretty expensive considering the amount of people who would actually use it.

Also the paid version requires the costs involved in publishing an app to the apple store ....

Derek

JeffM

Nov 27, 2012
London
I would like to see a mobile theme. That would be awesome. Im on here on my phone anyway all the time

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
we need to raise about 400 bucks for vBulletin which will give a free iphone and android app, + the cost to add an app to the iphone store for free.

If I implement tapatalk, it is not free for you iphone users (there is a free android one) but then if we buy vbulletin you lost your money.

I am going to get the paypal campaign to raise money going, if we get enough interest, great, if not, we can put tapatalk on.
Derek

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Deffinatly set up fund raiser. I think $400 is not a hard to see goal.

Could even set up a raffle and sell tix, (like the N.I.B. stern draw) throw together a grab bag of stuff that everyone can use; cup holders, novus, balls ect. Sell tix for $20. Should be able to fund raise enough in a couple months. Have a draw at the end of the year.

thewebexpert

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Almonte, Ontario
I believe the BB has an app for it. I am still investigating board software alternatives, and which ones come with an app, I would like a proper app that will give push notifications etc. not just a webpage that runs in your iphone.

We also need to consider themes, it takes a lot of work to get the site to look good, including modules like "thanks" etc, some software just does not allow it. Perhaps in the end we can stay with phpBB.

I will probably find the top 3 and we can do a vote on which one people would like to see, then we can set the goal and raise money. vBulletin seems to be the leader in the industry.... more to follow