• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinball World Prices

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
I normally erase posts like the one above after I read them.

Since it is out there now (in bold print from Ryan as well)
it shall stay as is. Wayne, I apologize if any offence is taken.
That was not, and never is my intent.

I received some family news last evening that requires my
immediate attention, and has derailed me from finishing off
my comments on this thread.

Apologies and I will return to finish this off when I am able.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
smiley-confused002.gif

What is there to take offence to?

What's with all these cryptic haiku messages since your return from expo?

Da Faq? :D

WARLOCK said:
I normally erase posts like the one above after I read them.

Since it is out there now (in bold print from Ryan as well)
it shall stay as is. Wayne, I apologize if any offence is taken.
That was not, and never is my intent.

I received some family news last evening that requires my
immediate attention, and has derailed me from finishing off
my comments on this thread.

Apologies and I will return to finish this off when I am able.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Vengeance said:

Scott always posts cryptic haiku messages especially late at night but usually edits them a few minutes later so nobody ever notices. I usually try to reply and quote him so he can't take it back :lol:

cdnpinballer

Nov 15, 2012
websherpa said:
I think we're already there. Just a few years ago the base price of admission for an EM was about $200 (less if you were lucky), an SS around $500 - 700, and a low end DMD somewhere just over $1K ...

I agree with a lot of what you said in your post above but I don't think we're at the point where cost is a barrier of entry for new pinballers -- yet. Case in point on my Ottawa kijiji page today is a decent looking semi-working Bally Kickoff for $350 that needs some tweaking (don't all EM's?) and a pair (2X) Baby Pac projects for $450. If I were looking to learn and get into the hobby these two options might appeal to me.

On the other hand, most people getting in should probably not start off with a project so a fully working EM, SS or DMD is going to cost more than a project. The new entrants who 'need' a fully working pin are going to spend more money to get admission plain and simple. But even still, not long ago we saw a working Rescure 911 sell for under $1K and there is the occasional steal of a deal ambulance chaser crack on kijiji. So, maybe the advice to new people if they have a very tight budget is to be open to learning how to fix broken pins (it's a relatively steep learning curve anyways) or keep a close eye on the forums and classifieds and be prepared enough to beat the ambulance chasers. Easier said than done, no doubt and chasing ambulances with no return after a while is going to discourage some people. Nothing is easy isn't it?

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
I think that in general people need to approach hobbies as money pits. Collecting large complex items like cars, pinball machines, slot machines, etc. can be inherently expensive. There are hobbies for everyones budget, but not all hobbies are designed for a shoe string budget. Do what you can afford.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
WARLOCK said:
websherpa said:
I blame it on the new 30 something's that are buying houses with ultra low mortgage rates ( I remember when they went up to 16%+), and squeezing in a few extras for their "man caves." If they have children their probably not out of diapers yet and haven't started costing hem an arm and a leg and eating them out of house and home yet. :lol:

Also, two income families are the new norm, we have more cash and less time ( no one is buying cottages anymore, for example). Essentially, they don't know he true value of a dollar yet.

But also, being a nostalgic sort, perhaps wages and income and inflationary reality have now moved beyond me.

Wayne,
Don't blame anyone. Pointless. Age and experience are the bonus or "specials" in life. Let everyone learn on their own
as you and I both did. Let them gain wisdom as we were allowed to do. They will. You will see. (the rest does not matter)
Scott

Given the opportunity to erase this and rewrite it;

I would simply say we are all to blame for being part of a hobby where supply/demand indicates higher prices over time.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
websherpa said:
WARLOCK said:
Wayne,
Don't blame anyone. Pointless.

I think you bestow far too much significance to my humorous machinations in your new found pinball wisdom. One simply has to look beyond the trees to see the forest I am standing in. :FP:

Perhaps.

And all the other posts that followed, I would simply delete.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
mwong168 said:
Vengeance said:

Scott always posts cryptic haiku messages especially late at night but usually edits them a few minutes later so nobody ever notices. I usually try to reply and quote him so he can't take it back :lol:

Not since Expo Adam, since I started posting. Wong and R.A.B. are both quick enough to catch me in the act. lol
Ryan has quoted and posted a few times as well where I wish I had the opportunity to edit what I had/have said.

From now on I will be writing outside of the forums and just cut + paste to post here once the writing is complete.

Cheers all.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Ok, cryptic, haiku, or otherwise, I will state (part) of where I was going with this thread here and end it for my part now.

It is all a matter of perspective. (price) Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you judge.
Age and wisdom can help make your choices for you much faster and easier if you are just
willing to, and simply able to listen to the signs. (as they are presented for you in due time)

Truth and choice is a consideration of the soul. It is inherently present since conception.

Adherance is heresy.
Compliance is blapshemy.
This is only true assuming that there is unfairness to begin with.
Be cautious of it if it exists then, since you can't control it, but be alert.

Just be aware. Think. It separates us from everything else we know of here and now.

Once you get down to the basics, as a collective, we all have the right idea overall. (pinball baby)

We can get to the crux of a situation by debating it as a group, and we are all better for it if we
listen to each other, debate, make good decisions, and move forward from there. Otherwise, stay lost....

Cheers.

All the very best.

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
wow I can't believe I missed this thread! I must've been busy... lol

My philosophy... buy within your means, don't get caught up in the hype. A $10k pin is usually only worth that much because it's the "flavour of the month" (or year). For every one $10k pin, there are at least ten $2-3k pins that are equally (if not more) enjoyable.

If $2k is out of your budget, start even smaller. There are plenty of decent starter games between $500 - $1000. Think 1970's classic Sterns. My first pin was a Stern Magic from 1979. Paid $350 for it on Ebay back in... 2005 I think. The same game today can be had for $500. It's simple but fun. You know how I moved up from there? I shopped the game out, sold it for $600 and bought a PinBot. If you put in the time and elbow grease you'll have that $2-3k pin in no time, and you'll be VERY thankful you took the time to learn how to fix up pins in the first place. Quite frankly, it's half the fun! I wish I still had time for it myself.

This is why I get upset when people rag on others for selling their games "too high". In most cases, the seller either put in the effort or paid someone to do it for them. If you're so mad that they're trying to recoup their costs, then go buy a "beater" version of the same title and fix it up yourself! You'll be damn proud you did. I know I was when I brought my $1k STTNG back from the dead. Rebuilt it from the ground up... using the knowledge I had gained right from the start -- from that old Stern Magic. ;)

- B

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
PS. I see others going along this same path (ie. the two R911 projects), and I love it. It's the whole reason this board exists.. bring it back to the love of the game. Restoring is an artform, whether it's mechanical or visual. If any of you are hesitant.. just try it. Trust me, you'll "get it". You'll be rushing to finish your dinner (at 9pm after it's gone cold) just to get back at that project in the basement.

- B

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
PPS. I'm 35 and bought 4 NIB pins for myself last year (2 LE's). Am I rich? Hell no.. I'm middle class with 2 babies and a wife on mat leave.. but I busted my ass creating mods with my bare hands, sold NIB games to other people, offered moving services and imported PDI glass (which ain't easy) to make it happen. 3 years ago owning a NIB was a pipe-dream. Hard work, passion and dedication really pays off.