• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinburgh 2013

jooky

Nov 18, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Looks like the champ is Daniele Acciari from Italy.

http://papa.org/circuit/live.php

I watched some of his play last night on the live stream during the marathon phase. Some crazy ridiculous skills going on! I really need to incorporate this technique where they nudge the ball from one flipper to the other (not a post pass) as it comes down the inlanes.

Hoping for some comments from Adam too when he gets back! He seemed to have a great showing (including a terrific score on Iron Man), but looks like Jungle Queen did him in.

I hope this live broadcasting stuff keeps growing like the whole e-sports scene.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
That was just the circuit finals-the main pinburgh tournament is just getting going today. Pretty amazing that Daniele pulled that off-he made it through the entire tournament, since he was one of the first ones in. Cool format though-kind of a "royal rumble" style where one player out of 4 is eliminated each round. Could be something cool to try in a TOPL tournament.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Made it to B Finals and got stuck with games I didn't know.
I still hung in there and it was anyone's game down to the last ball.

Finished fourth in the most insane pinball tournament on earth which also happened to be my first competition.

Putting Montreal pinball on the map baby.
Had an interview w Bowen after, he told me I'm a great player.

Pics and vids to come. I'm running on 18 hours of sleep in the past four days combined.

Next year, A division.

It was nice to meet (and beat) the Toronto guys.

Cya at the next competition, I'm hooked!

Attachments

• pinburgh.jpg
    pinburgh.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 408

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Man I'm still recovering from 5 days of pinball :?

I accomplished all I really wanted to this time around:

Qualify in the A Division in an attempt to defend my title
Not go out in my first round of the Circuit.

Circuit was awesome and I'm glad I got to participate as I doubt I'll be able to participate in 2014 as there just aren't enough events close enough to make a real run for it.

I was also fighting a cold from Thursday on, so it was tough trying to keep up with the competition while at the same time trying to stay alert enough to actually play properly. End of the day I was still able to squeak my way into the A Division Final so even thought I went out round one I was happy with how things went.

It was nice putting faces to names, but Adam you've still got a long road before you should be bragging about who you beat, we'll see how you fare with the "Big Boys" in the A division next year ;)

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Vengeance said:
It was nice putting faces to names, but Adam you've still got a long road before you should be bragging about who you beat, we'll see how you fare with the "Big Boys" in the A division next year ;)

Thanks for the congratulations, Adam. :lol:

Let me bask in the joy of making my finals in my first tournament ever and beating out 296 players.

I know I have a long road ahead, but I'm ready and training has already begun.

Like you told me, if you can do it, anyone can. :cool: :D :)

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
More bragging:

My buddy Steve beat then tied Daniele (PAPA circuit champ) TWO SESSIONS IN A ROW:

Art Dodd 6 - 6
Daniele Celestino Acciari 6 - 6
Todd Seaver 5 - 7
Steve Daniels 7 - 5

My other buddy crushed a Sharpe brother in the consolation tournament.

I was thinking of throwing them a parade. :lol:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
movingpictures said:
Let me bask in the joy of making my finals in my first tournament ever and beating out 296 players.

Congrats and from the sounds of yours and Adam's response you guys must be so tired from the tournament. Can wait to see pics and scores you guys posted in both divisions.

superjackpot

Nov 19, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I had a blast at my first ever Pinburgh, and just my second true tournament outside of TOPL. I played pretty good on the Friday and was extremely happy with my 21st/394 ranking that got me into the A Division. Never did I consider 'falling' into the high B's just to shoot for some prize money despite receiving some advice to this effect.

My personal play on Saturday was not there - may have been the double round of pingolf that used me up... and I finished 5 wins out of qualifying for A playoffs. I only needed to average a 7-8 that day... oh so close. I'll be there next time for sure and vying for A division! But man that is a lot of pinball.

I had my moments playing (and defeating) a couple top world ranked players on my way through. I learned a lot playing (and losing) against them too. One in particular was memorable, my go with Steve Bowden. He is the eiptome of patience. I watched him shoot the Black Pyramid spinner over and over even though it was the more risky lower PF targets he needed to truly advance his game by this point. He simply waited to get those targets incidentally whenever his safe shots went out of control. It was a long drawn out affair, and IMO I'm not sure if he was really playing pinball at that point. But nonetheless, his score was higher than the rest. Certainly there are a lot of strategies at play when the game is on the line. Some players play with flow, others stop the ball every single chance, gunsight their shot, shoot, rinse and repeat. Yawn. I think the right balance is somewhere in between.

I loved the mix of game types in the banks of four, and will certainly go back again next spring.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
I checked out the circuit live broadcast, and right away I saw Adam, it was kind of funny "Hey! I know that guy!!!"

I thought the live broadcasts were done excellent. As well produced as you could hope for at this stage of the game.

There was generally 300 viewers on the ustream at any time, which would be far more spectators than at papa itself, so I think its a great tool.

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
superjackpot said:
. Never did I consider 'falling' into the high B's just to shoot for some prize money despite receiving some advice to this effect.

Congrats to all (amazing showing by Mtl-Adam) ... good on ya Barry for not subcumming to the sandbagging philosphy !!!

Definitely going to make Pinburgh 2014

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
Some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0511.jpg
    IMG_0511.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0565.jpg
    IMG_0565.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0574.jpg
    IMG_0574.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 344

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
It was a great tournament and I had a blast. Great to see so many Canadians do well even though I wasn't one of them.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Warming up there on King Kool Mtl-Adam? :cool: I hope one these days I make it down to see the PAPA facility in person.

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
mwong168 said:
Warming up there on King Kool Mtl-Adam? :cool: I hope one these days I make it down to see the PAPA facility in person.

That's actually my ninja buddy Matt from Vermont.
I should have some pics of me once Hoser brings his phone to my place.

Fast Draw was my EM of choice.
I rolled it in the semi-finals and crushed my competition.

Jason, it was a blast to finally get to hang and play some games with you.
Even though you didn't end up 'whooping my ass' as promised in the MTL vs. OTT mini-tourney, I'm sure you had fun. :p

And Mike, you owe it to yourself to make it next year.
Or better yet, go in August for PAPA 16.

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
Yes it was fun Adam...the way I played last week they should have had an "F" division for me. I am terrible and should retire. :FP:

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
I uploaded a couple videos, courtesy of my coach Hoser:

B Finals - Miraculous ball 5 on Wizard:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5UMFMdlNew[/youtube]

Trophy presentation (fuck yeah):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SZkqjjFRWs[/youtube]

Interview w Bowen:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx4KZjiSYNg[/youtube]

movingpictures

Nov 29, 2012
Mont-Real
"I think this picture is classic: old guard handing over the reigns to the new generation. Adam is in classic Punk fashion"

Attachments

• bowen_ajk.JPG
    bowen_ajk.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 242
  • group_pinburgh2013-lofi.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 230