• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Pinsound and speakers?

Cariba

Aug 12, 2022
Mississauga Canada
All,

I am looking to add Pinsound system (with shaker, new speakers, headphone station etc) for a BSD and wanted to know if I should go with speakers form Pinsound or another source? (I.e Flipper Fidelity).
The Flipper Fidelity speakers seem to be much less than Pinsound's.

Any recommendations on which speakers?

Any recommendations for purchasing these items (Pinsound etc) from Canada? Should I look at alternatives?

What is usually the lead time to get the items from Pinsound? does it come from EU or USA?
Do we end up paying duties then?

Thanks in advance and Regards,

MrMikeman

Nov 25, 2019
Ottawa
When you buy directly from the Pinsound website it comes from France. It ships with DHL. Yes you pay taxes and whatever DHL brokerage fees are. It's been too long I don't recall how much. You CAN buy Pinsound from some American sellers. Shipping will likely be cheaper but brokerage fees depend on the carrier. Some charge a LOT (like UPS). Taxes are the same. HST of the value in CAD.

I've installed Pinsound boards on original WPC speakers, on upgraded speakers, and on Pinsound speakers. Can't say there's much of a difference. The big difference is in the source material (sound card itself).

I know some audio purist will lose his mind reading about speakers not making much of a difference but I call it like I see it. The card is worth the investment. Speakers not as much. Keep in mind I have external subs on all my games. This makes the greatest impact as opposed to just a bigger or even amplified cabinet speaker. I've had some up to 12" amplified in cab. Sounds like shit and rattles everything to death. External sub all the way and you can combine multiple machines on 1 sub.

ALJO

Apr 6, 2013
St.Romuald
I bought a Tilt Audio board (similar to Pinsound) and I love the high quality sound it gives, I too, like MrMikeman says, find that the speakers don't make a difference at all,, original speakers are just the same to my ear.

Cariba

Aug 12, 2022
Mississauga Canada
Ok I may consider not upgrading speakers, BUT I think I read somewhere that the BSD is set up in mono, and BSD has one woofer, one mid and one tweeter, that may not be optimal for the upgraded stereo system that pinsound provides. I recall that either a speaker rewiring is required (when using original speakers on this pin with pinsound), or upgrade to new speakers connected in stereo...not sure will need to look this up. Ill see if I can find American sellers of pinsound...thanks all,

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I have bought a lot of Pinsound boards from Pinsound, never been charged any GST, duty, etc. Usually just arrives in the mailbox. Much easier than the US purchases.

Ludikris

Nov 13, 2020
toronto, canada
When you're not listening to music, that is representative of the kind of frequencies that show off the ability of a speaker, you're not gonna hear much difference. I replaced my cabinet speakers with new but medium line fosgate speakers and the biggest difference was the ability to control frequencies from the pinsound card, and even more so adding an external sub, made the most difference.

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
I have bought a lot of Pinsound boards from Pinsound, never been charged any GST, duty, etc. Usually just arrives in the mailbox. Much easier than the US purchases.
Likewise, I have bought 3 pinsound boards and was never charged GST, duty or brokerage fees. Even the shipping was free every time. I don’t know why - but that was my experience every time. Also there support is very good.

Smokezz

Apr 29, 2019
Kingsville, ON
When you buy directly from the Pinsound website it comes from France. It ships with DHL. Yes you pay taxes and whatever DHL brokerage fees are. It's been too long I don't recall how much. You CAN buy Pinsound from some American sellers. Shipping will likely be cheaper but brokerage fees depend on the carrier. Some charge a LOT (like UPS). Taxes are the same. HST of the value in CAD.

I've installed Pinsound boards on original WPC speakers, on upgraded speakers, and on Pinsound speakers. Can't say there's much of a difference. The big difference is in the source material (sound card itself).

I know some audio purist will lose his mind reading about speakers not making much of a difference but I call it like I see it. The card is worth the investment. Speakers not as much. Keep in mind I have external subs on all my games. This makes the greatest impact as opposed to just a bigger or even amplified cabinet speaker. I've had some up to 12" amplified in cab. Sounds like shit and rattles everything to death. External sub all the way and you can combine multiple machines on 1 sub.

You'd think shipping would be cheaper from the US than from Europe... but every time I order something that comes from Europe - though usually smaller packages, the shipping is stunningly inexpensive. Order something in a small box from say Marco or for my car? The shipping is outrageously expensive. Talking $15 for the item coming via DHL that arrives in a few days vs. $50+ for USPS crapola shipping that takes 3 weeks.

Reactions: MrMikeman

Cariba

Aug 12, 2022
Mississauga Canada
Thanks all for the advice, I've pulled the trigger and ordered the Pinsound package (via Pinsound in France) minus the speakers - which I will source and purchase separate.
Hopefully I can get by without getting hit with taxes and duties etc.