• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Scammed on EBay

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Well.......for the longest time wanted to get one of those Balrog Votives for a topper for my LOTR, but none were coming available. So thought I'd try creating my own topper and bought a Gollum bust off of ebay. 2.5 weeks ago. Finally got it in the mail today and it was NOTHING like what I ordered. Subsequently contacted the seller and they accused me of buying a fake somewhere and trying to claim they sent it to me. OUTRAGEOUS. Now I've filed a dispute with Paypal, but from my research it would appear I'm going to be SOL because Paypal typically says that they can't verify what was shipped to me. So f'n discouraged right now. Anyway, here are pics of what I ordered...and what I received. What a joke.

Attachments

• Gollum I Ordered.JPG
    Gollum I Ordered.JPG
    242.2 KB · Views: 577

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
And this is what I received. It's my Rasta Gollum. Maybe I can stick a joint in his mouth?????

Attachments

• What I Got.JPG
    What I Got.JPG
    292.1 KB · Views: 577

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
I know it's not funny because you got ripped off but damn that second picture made me bust out laughing. You might be OK with PayPal though. Good luck.

Sent from my Nexus 4

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
If you happened to use a credit card to pay through PayPal that is your best bet, launch a second dispute with your credit card company and they freeze funds for Pay Pal and that moves Pay Pal along since the credit card company works for you, and Pay Pal only acts as an intermediary in disputes.

If you kept or took pictures of the delivery packaging and item included, it's helpful to spread those around. Also, these sellers tend to do this to a number of buyers at the same time, so given a little time and a review of the claims, it may resolve in your favour.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Well now, obviously I was a bit hasty. Just got an e-mail from Paypal telling me to ship back and I will get a full refund.

Here's the link to the auction Brock. Yep Brad, thats what I thought when I first took it out of the box. Thought it was funny. Didn't remember Gollum having dreadlocks. Then I started seeing red!!! LMFAO. (now anyway!)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/290896990868?ssP ... 1439.l2649

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
From the ebay listing..."Please note: This item's color may vary due to inherent manufacturing variations or your computer monitor's color settings. The item you receive will be identical or substantially similar to the item pictured in this listing."

Well, there you go. It was your computer monitor's fault. Case closed.

I'm due to run into scammer soon...I have about 300 successful transactions without one dispute or negative feedback. Sucks that you ran into a crook, but at least Paypal is making things right.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
A quick look in the negative feedback indicates you're not the only one who gave negative feedback on the same product and likely for the same reasons. If you do lodge a dispute, it's worth pointing that out too.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Well good news! 100% refund by Paypal, including shipping and brokerage fees. Also found out, these guys are under investigation by them as well. Think people would learn eh! Now I'm gun-shy to do any dealings. Sent a guy off Pinside 125.00 for a LOTR topper last Sunday, still hasn't shipped it to my knowledge and hasn't replied to my query.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Sorry to hear about your ebay experience and glad you got it all sorted out. Here are some other LOTR toppers I found on pinside before.

124101.jpg

126487-i.jpg

I found this set of small fellowship figures I bought off ebay for $40 earlier this year. I was planning to make my own topper with a background image and lighting.

lord-of-the-rings-fellowship-of-the-ring-the-silhouettes.jpg

11406619073_0cb6def5c3_c.jpg

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Hi Mike. Here's a pic of the topper I bought off a guy from Pinside. As I said in my post above, sent the payment through Paypal last week, sent him a follow up message a couple of days later asking if he got it and if he's shipped yet. Replied yep, he got the transfer of funds, but hadn't shipped yet (three days after I sent the payment) and now not responding to a PM I sent him yesterday morning. Trying not to get too concerned yet!

Attachments

• LOTR Topper.jpg
    LOTR Topper.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 404

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I think you bought from pinheadpuckguy who makes all his toppers by hand. I know there was a time when people's orders would take months to fulfill and communication wasn't the greatest leading to many people cancelling as a result. Again, I think you should be fine and protected if you went through paypal so I guess be patient.

Bigbossfan

Aug 22, 2013
Lincoln, NB
Yep, that's who I ordered it through. He told me though he had some "ready". So waiting for him to make one shouldn't be the issue!