• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Single player or multiple player?

in2pin

Dec 11, 2014
Georgetown, ON
I'm trying to get a better handle on what to look for in a pinball machine.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of these?
I read somewhere that single player machines are more sought after by collectors?
Do mulitiple player games require a lot more maintenance?
Is one more expensive to buy than the other?

Dave

Reactions: WARLOCK

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Here are the basics . (Hopefully Drano will chime in and elaborate later)

The "coveted" EM's by Drano, myself and other serious EM collector's are Gottlieb Wedgeheads.

Here is why.

1) Best quality EM's - most reliable to operator's, and Gottlieb ruled the roost until Solid States came in.
2) Gottlieb "Wedgehead" single player machines have "progressive" single player play. 2 + 4 player games do not. You don't start from "scratch" on single player games, on 2+4 player machine's, you do.
3) EM's are heavy, and 2 and 4 player games have 2x or 4x the moving parts in their heads, wedge heads are sharp, art and shape is fantastic.

Having said all that.

Buy what you like, when you like and for what you can afford.

Desired Wedgeheads include Volley, C-37, Jack's open, El Dorado, Neptune, Atlantis, Golden Arrow, Sure Shot and a few rare others.
Equally fun are all the other Wedgeheads like Jungle King, Spin Out etc. Over 20+ I believe. These are single player, progressive and lone player games.

More fun in groups are 2+4 player EM's: OXO, Spanish Eyes, Jungle Queen, Target Alpha and the grail - Joker Poker. (usually an SS though)
The list goes on and on and the main manufacturers were Gottlieb, Bally and Williams.

Collectible Wedgehead EM's by Gottlieb command the most $$$.
Maintenance is in cleaning them and you are only looking at 2-3 more score reals to clean on multi-player games in the head.

Buy what you like. I have single, double and four player games. The Wedgies would leave last tho.

Happy researching.

"Like" this post please. lol
I need a lead on Wong and Drano while they are distracted.

Last edited:

in2pin

Dec 11, 2014
Georgetown, ON
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I might need at least 2, 1 single player for me and one 4 player for the family?:p
As a "Thank you" I have "Liked" a few of your posts!:)
I also like the Gottlied Wedgeheads. I guess I'll have some competition to secure a good one!:eek:

Dave

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
The good news is that Drano and I have both been "hunting" Wedgeheads for a couple of years.
Other than the odd rare one, we both have enough EM's. I may even let a couple of them go soon.
I won't know which titles yet until next week.

I "liked" this thread right back Dave.

While Drano is more of a game "purist" for single player Wedgeheads, I collected several 2+4
player EM's as well. I will make another post later on the merits of the multi-player EM's.

One Wedge and one multi-player sounds like a grand idea.

Reactions: in2pin

in2pin

Dec 11, 2014
Georgetown, ON
The good news is that Drano and I have both been "hunting" Wedgeheads for a couple of years.
Other than the odd rare one, we both have enough EM's. I may even let a couple of them go soon.
Feel free to send me a PM when you are ready! I would really like something that looks as close to HUO as possible. I'll get less grief from the boss if it doesn't look like something the cat dragged in!;)
PS - I used the "HUO" to try and impress you! :p

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Will do. I have bought "multiple" copies of several Wedgeheads to have nicer and nicer examples as I go along.
3 Volley's and 3 Sure Shots come to mind... (I am this close to Picard'in myself...)

I also have some high end restored EM's, and a couple that have cabs. redone and playfield's clear-coated.
They are a "different snack bracket" though. Most guys go for B+C title DMD's for what these beauties cost.

No way to know if they are HUO because almost all EM's were routed, but they are like brand new.
Good stuff on the terminology usage.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
:picard:
This is a Picard.
If someone responded to me with 3 of these Picard's for buying 3 Volley's and 3 for buying 3 Sure Shots, it wouldn't be out of line.

in2pin

Dec 11, 2014
Georgetown, ON
Will do. I have bought "multiple" copies of several Wedgeheads to have nicer and nicer examples as I go along.
3 Volley's and 3 Sure Shots come to mind... (I am this close to Picard'in myself...)

I also have some high end restored EM's, and a couple that have cabs. redone and playfield's clear-coated.
They are a "different snack bracket" though. Most guys go for B+C title DMD's for what these beauties cost.

No way to know if they are HUO because almost all EM's were routed, but they are like brand new.
Good stuff on the terminology usage.

3 sure shots...
I sent you a PM... I think?

Dave

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Yes sir, I have your PM.

I have bought "multiple" copies of more pins than I care to admit to.
:picard: :picard::picard: (proper usage of "multiple Picard's is warranted here)

I will send you some more pin title possibilities next week once I know what I have left to sell.
Thanks.
:resistanceisfutile:

Reactions: in2pin