• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

SkitB's - Experts of Dangerous Pinball

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Trailer
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ACngOuiGxSo[/youtube]

Artwork
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=CSeg7VRyvt8[/youtube]

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I'm not a fan of them wasting time on a second game when they just asked for 1/2 of the deposit for everyone and still haven't disclosed exactly how manufacturing of Pred is going to work.

Plus I'm not a fan of the theme, pretty terrible choice IMO, put it up there next to WOF on bad choices for a theme.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
The thing that concerns me most of the Pred build, is now that JJP is assembling game 2, they are literally going to put a rag-tag team together to bang machines out, because they aren't building towards a larger goal. It's just temporary to get Pred out the door, no factory or systems getting established.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I love me some Buster from Myth Busters... Not sure how much this translates into a pinball machine, but people have always said the software is what makes ANY game so does theme really matter all that much?

D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Obviously any pinball can be better than the theme, as there are a lot of shitty movies that are top pins.

I suspect the toys may be innovative.

As a business enterprise, I am still highly concerned about Skit-b being a 1-man operation. Kevin needs to hand over a lot of the biz to people who can run it effectively and focus on doing what he loves, which is the designing.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
There is no way Kev is building the Pred's himself (he has stated in at least one of his past emails that they have partnered with a contract mfg), and just because he hasn't told the world who it is doesn't really mean anything. Skit-B has hired a CM to do the build, and I'm fine with that. CM's in business have the tools, staff and knowledge to stay in business... All they are doing is assembly which is really not that difficult.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Menace said:
I love me some Buster from Myth Busters... Not sure how much this translates into a pinball machine, but people have always said the software is what makes ANY game so does theme really matter all that much?

D

Sure, but for good software it has to get past concept.

If you want someone to pre-order a machine, before they ever even play a finished product, the theme is going to the thing that convinces them

Pred convinced me, that is a kick ass theme, Mythbusters, no thanks, I hate that show and I doubt it has the drawing power to convince a ton of people to buy in.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
The more I think about this theme, the more I liken it to a zombie apocalypse. The crash dummies back from the scrap heap vs zombies back from the dead except the dummies have technology to help them. :)

Could make for some interesting storyline.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
And Americia's most haunted had great promise for being a great ghost theme, and we all saw how well that turned out....

Not Skit-B mind you, but still. Pred has allot of source material to draw from, the is almost an original concept and still not anything mainstream with draw power.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
260602-i.jpg

260570-i.jpg

260571-i.jpg

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
No thanks. Sorry. I don't buy into it.
Not sure if Kevin is kidding or not just yet.
I don't really care. Not a saleable pin to me at all.
I "sold" Predator as a theme, design + pin to many collectors.

Moving on.
That is all.

Cheers.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Someone on pinside in 2 minutes did a mockup of the art in more animated poses, and even this rough, it painfully shows how stiff the art is by comparison.

260617.jpg

So, the theme itself is debatable, but the quality of the art is really flat. I'm guessing like Predator they just had their bud do it, and once it's done they called it done. The logo itself is really hard to read.

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
Stale theme. Ten years ago when these guys were culturally relevant it still would have been a questionable theme choice. Like Ben Heck, they do have geek cred, but that doesn't look like it's helping sell Heck's game at all.

brad808

Feb 28, 2013
Brantford
Eeek that theme does look painfully bad. It would have to be an amazing game to make up for that :-\. At this point why not just scrap the idea before wasting more time and resources into it.

g-man

Nov 19, 2012
Brampton / Caledon
I have not been impressed by their artwork at all. Take another look at a Bally playfield from 40 years ago and the quality blows this stuff away. Their art always looks to me like they got one of their nephews who is a senior at high school to do it. It's better than I could do, but yeesh.

frolic said:
... they are literally going to put a rag-tag team together to bang machines out...
Figuratively perhaps, but not literally.
(yes, I am that kind of a$$hole :D )

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
frolic said:
Someone on pinside in 2 minutes did a mockup of the art in more animated poses, and even this rough, it painfully shows how stiff the art is by comparison.

This could almost pass for DE artwork :)

spiroagnew said:
Stale theme. Ten years ago when these guys were culturally relevant it still would have been a questionable theme choice. Like Ben Heck, they do have geek cred, but that doesn't look like it's helping sell Heck's game at all.

The theme might not be great because most people are associating it with Myth Busters due to the characters depicted on the playfield. You can try to think of them as two fictional characters like Red and Ted on Roadshow, who are basically destroying shit all over the country. Except these guys have been destroying crash test dummies and now they are tired of being used for amusement and seeking revenge (think Dallas Monster cab mode where the indian taxi driver is back for revenge for destroying his cabs in New York City).

I think the name is sort of iffy or too much relation drawn to the Myth Busters show which involved a lot of dangerous tests. The artwork is also turning a lot of people off too and it sort of reminds me of early 90's video games like this:

1088958670-00.jpg

I'm patiently waiting for someone on pinside to make a Hitler meme about it :lol:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Are any of the other paid up members having their confidence shaken by this?

Drano, Scott?

I'm seriously considering pulling for the project, and I've paid in full. Not a word on production and already a second game, I don't like it one bit.

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
I'm not worried one bit. I don't understand why you would be either. It's not like Kevin is building the games himself, he's contracted it out...

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Menace said:
I'm not worried one bit. I don't understand why you would be either. It's not like Kevin is building the games himself, he's contracted it out...

D

Do we know that for certain?

It's filling me with doubt because it signals a shift in focus.

Bigger and better things appearing on the horizon, I'm sure is the way Kevin and crew are setting it. Agreement with JJP for manufacturing, and a partnership with 2 sudo celebrities on the next game.

Meanwhile, Pred owners have had the rubber meet the road so to speak, being told to put our money where our mouth is and the most recent communication from SkitB after doing so is about it's future and not about its present.

My worry is Kevin and Crew are now just going to throw Pred together, get it out the door, and move on to greener pastures and we are going to be stuck with some half ass build, that breaks as often as the proto did at every show I ever saw it at.