• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Solved: Tommy Blinder Issue

tommyv

Nov 16, 2012
Scarborough
So my display is working again after my issue of a couple of weeks ago. I was seriously overthinking things. Took the ps board out and put the meter on things. I found a bad 1N4004 and a bad fuse (coulda sworn that I checked those weeks ago). Anyway, a quick repair and things are looking good.

Full of confidence, I decided to tackle my non-working blinders. They always used to work perfectly, then they developed a bit of a stutter when the game was powered up. Now, nothing. I had bought a new board some time ago, it was time to put her in. Pretty simple swap, but discovered the armature that moved the blinders was in two pieces. A bit of a glue experiment led to a successful repair with Crazy Glue (advanced formula or something).

Popped it back on the motor and tried the diagnostic test, with no success. Took the armature off, but still no movement from the motor. I'm getting both 5v and 12v power to the board, with 5v to the motor. What's odd is that if I use the adjustment pots on the board, the motor spindle will move. I'm assuming that is a good indication of a working motor.

Just in case, I picked up a replacement motor but received exactly the same result.

Packed it in for the night in favour of the Leaf game, but any guidance would be welcome.

Thanks..

tommyv

Nov 16, 2012
Scarborough
I did some reading this morning. The best advice that I can find is to disconnect the plug on the shaker board.

I'll look into that tonight and report back.

tommyv

Nov 16, 2012
Scarborough
Thanks Sylvain...your experience adds credence to my research.

Planning to look into this as soon as I get home; will post back with results.

tommyv

Nov 16, 2012
Scarborough
Well...that has got be the weirdest fix ever, especially considering that these worked for so long with that plug connected.

Did a pinball gremlin sneak in and plug it on me? One of pinball's great mysteries, I guess.

Thanks for the pointer, Sylvain!

Here's hoping the glue holds up until such time that one of you 3d printer gurus can replicate the armature.