• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

starburst on ronson . do they sell superbands?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Sure they will or else they could bring them in for you when they place their bulk order with Marco. The reviews seem sort of mixed on pinside so far. I think Adriano bought a few sets to try out on his game so curious to see what he says otherwise you can read this first impressions post here on pinside

First impression with Super-band flipper rubbers

Pinball Life also carries them too and their customer service and shipping prices are pretty good.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3172

luch

Nov 18, 2012
Newmarket
www.topl.ca
Played with them at Adam's on Ironman , good ball control with no bounce and very sticky , shots seem better for me , Adam might have a different opinion

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Almost all of the machines at EXPO had them on ... they played fine ... a little different and definitely not as much bounce on a dead flipper pass but after you adjusted they were fine.

It was weird at pinball life as they company had a booth there selling them at 2/ea ... Terry had them at 1.50 ... odd that the distrubtor/owner of the things was charging 33% more in the same building (and still selling lots)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
SquidVicious said:
It was weird at pinball life as they company had a booth there selling them at 2/ea ... Terry had them at 1.50 ... odd that the distrubtor/owner of the things was charging 33% more in the same building (and still selling lots)

Thats PINBALL baby! :lol:

D

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
frolic said:
Vengeance said:
Here is Keith Elwin's opinion of them

if these don't take in competition i don't see them going anywhere.

I'm not sure how you get to that train of thought ... there are tons of machines with bling and all sorts of bells and whistles that you will never see in comp pinball but the stuff sells.

For whatever number of op's that still exist if these 'rubbers' last 4 or 5 times longer why wouldn't you use them (hell the move to black rubber was based on ops wanting durability ... the gameroom movement to white rubber is based on keeping games clean). I don't see the standard rubber going away but whether this is a hit in comp pinball (and the full tournaments at EXPO all used them) or not I don't see that having much of an effect on sales. Now if they don't have a better lifespan or provide worse control for the average home user that would be a different thing.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
It seemed like the Iron Man that had the superbands at Adam's had less friction than a standard rubber, meaning that the ball wouldn't slow down as much if you held a flipper up. That could be a combination of the material properties and the fact that there wasn't a layer of crud on it (so a new standard rubber may play the same). If nothing else, I thought the translucent bands looked a little strange. Might work on some games though.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
SquidVicious said:
I'm not sure how you get to that train of thought ... there are tons of machines with bling and all sorts of bells and whistles that you will never see in comp pinball but the stuff sells.

Well, I would concede that point. It just seems to me that since these bands affect the most important part of the game, ball control, it's a little different than bling.

My machines don't get enough action for rubbers to be worn out in the first place. I would only consider moving to these if they became the standard and everyone was used to playing with them. Just figured the competitive players would lead that trend (or not).

Tcooper

Jan 20, 2013
Cambridge
Just ordered some super bands with my parts order from pinball life, I'll let every one know my thoughts when they arrive

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
quarter grabber said:
What about superbands competitor "Saturn Rings" or whatever they are called. How do they compare to superbands??

Saturn Rings videos

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GA6onoKoa_c[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_wtwgEjddk&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=tMtS6INP4Lg[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lFBF4CR7EAE[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YnWrqQO1R4w[YouTube]

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HVri07PNxvs[/youtube]

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
quarter grabber said:
Do you know what the difference is between them and superbands Mike??? Which one is better??

I can't really say but I stumbled across those videos for Saturn rings so thought I would post them here for you to watch. They are only $2/each anyways so buy both and you decide what works for you. If enough of my friends switch their games over to these new bands I might have to do the same on mine or else I won't be know how to play anymore :lol:

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
It looks like there are a few reports from people saying their Saturn bands are snapping like this :(

146946-i.jpg

I think I am going to stick with regular rubber, imagine having an epic game and then "snap" :FP:

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
I played a bunch of Ironman this weekend with the super bands and I don't like um.

The only way I can describe it is they feel weird.

If I had to compare it to anything I'd say they feel like black rubber but with less grip.

The bounces for bounce passes felt like black rubber, very little spring and tough to judge when it was going to work and when it wasn't.

Drop catches were really hard and sometimes I found on the feed from the inlanes that the ball would get stopped for about half a second and it hit the rubber.

Overall not a fan, they look fancy but don't play right, and the price doesn't justify the playing.

If they felt like rubber and played like rubber but were more durable, sure I could see the value, but they don't.

We'll see how the rest of the competitive community takes to them, if they become the norm in tournaments I'll be forced to make the change.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
goomba said:
What brand and colour of rubber is normally used in tournaments now?

Don't know the brand, but usually red rubbers.

they offer a nice variety between control and bounce.

I used Black originally, and the games are much easier to control as black has much less bounce, red adds a bit more skill into it, and gives you more availability in control with things like the loop pass.

Live catches also become harder with red rubber.