• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Stranger Things Strangeness

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
I'm completely baffled...

I have a Stranger Things Premium at my store and for some reason I can not figure out why the left orbit shot is not working correctly.
When you make the shot, it is supposed to register and light up one of the "bicycle" lights (I can't remember the name of the shot).
But it is not doing so.

Using the software "Switch Test";
I have thoroughly tested the switch by hand and it works 100% of the time.
I have thoroughly tested the switch by rolling the ball over it and it works 100% of the time.
I have made sure that the bike lights work.
However, during gameplay, the switch NEVER registers the shot and the bike light does not light.

I can not find any other type of switch or opto that causes this orbit shot to properly register the shot.
I thought maybe you have to roll over the switch on the left orbit AND the ball has to continue through the entire orbit triggering something else, but I can't find anything else.

Anyone have any ideas what may be wrong?
Anyone have a Stranger Things and could let me know if there is a second trigger that must be activated as well? (Ex: Back Ramp Exit Switch?)
I have been trying to fix this for months...

Last edited:

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Is that an opto? Does ST have the same problem as JP does? I know on my JP I had a problem with the right orbit not registering. Solution was to put a small piece of electrical tape over the bottom half of the opto hole. Seems like it helps the game correct for the opto being at not quite the correct height? My suspicion is that a fast shot wasn't breaking the beam for long enough, so not registering. Anyway, that was the fix I saw suggested on Pinside, and it worked, so leaving it for now. Could be the same thing?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Did it ever work correctly initially?
If not, wondering if this could be a software setting or bug...

Good luck!

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
So if it's a rollover, then does it trigger at different speeds in test? It might be that fast shots aren't registering, or the ball is getting just a little air and not triggering the switch? That might still need an adjustment to make it more sensitive. You also might be on to something with a second switch that needs to be triggered, but I'm not all that familiar with ST (only played it a couple of times). Where does that left orbit come out? Just looking at the switch reference in the manual, and it looks like it should trigger 38 (left spinner) and then 39 (Left orbit), but not sure what the next thing it hits will be. If you put the game in test, but then shoot that from the flipper, what switches do you see triggered?

Pinpickle

Oct 5, 2021
Oakville
I have my ST for years. But I know there was one Opto that I had to put electrical tape.

You also need to make it all the around and back down the right ramp to register. So I would check the exit Opto. If there is an exit opto. I’m not home otherwise I would check.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
So if it's a rollover, then does it trigger at different speeds in test? It might be that fast shots aren't registering, or the ball is getting just a little air and not triggering the switch? That might still need an adjustment to make it more sensitive. You also might be on to something with a second switch that needs to be triggered, but I'm not all that familiar with ST (only played it a couple of times). Where does that left orbit come out? Just looking at the switch reference in the manual, and it looks like it should trigger 38 (left spinner) and then 39 (Left orbit), but not sure what the next thing it hits will be. If you put the game in test, but then shoot that from the flipper, what switches do you see triggered?
Left orbit exits in the right inlane.
Both the spinner and left orbit switch trigger 100% of the time in test mode at different speeds.

ZoomZoomBoomBoom

Mar 27, 2021
Barrie, ON
I have my ST for years. But I know there was one Opto that I had to put electrical tape.

You also need to make it all the around and back down the right ramp to register. So I would check the exit Opto. If there is an exit opto. I’m not home otherwise I would check.
I thought there may be an Opto, but I just can't seem to find one anywhere along the shots path.
It's very strange. :(