• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TAF or AC/DC Pro???

ShootAgain

Aug 6, 2013
Gatineau
Not there yet...but...if you had $ 5000 to invest, which of these machines would you choose?...and why?
The Addams Family or AC/DC Pro?

I know it is hard to compare but I am curious to see your point of view.

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Both are great.
Play both and then choose.

Decide for yourself which is best.
This is not an investment. It is a hobby.

Buy what you enjoy most. Good luck.
Cheers.

websherpa

Feb 10, 2013
Waterdown, ON
Since both are good games it probably depends on how many games in your collection and which theme you enjoy better. Neither would be a bad investment if you tired of it and wanted to trade or sell up in the future.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I say AC/DC but that is because deep down inside I don't need someone else looking for a TAF at the moment because I am on the hunt for one :lol:

Just kidding, I would say play both and you decide. I keep hearing from others that TAF is a great game but gets old fast in a home environment. I think that would also depend on how big and what you have in your current collection too. I think any game can get old which is why I usually go months not playing certain games and when I do it feels "fresh" to me again.

PS - If you are looking for a TAF (local to me) that is pretty nice let me know and I can put you in touch with the seller. It is sort of on hold right now for me because I am holding out for a really nice one from another collector.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
Re: TAF or AC/DC ProjQuery18204664392643608153_1386249343722

I've never played TAF, so can't say

But. Acdc is a solid game. I always enjoy playing it. Also not a huge fan of the band (even though I've seen them live twice)

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
I'm going to say pass on both.

TAF does get old in a home environment. It's a solid game and I enjoy playing it. If you have a larger collection, it could keep your interest. I have good memories of the game back in the day and think of adding it again, but always find something else to get.

I think I'm the only person on the planet that is not impressed with AC/DC. I've had two weeks to really test it. I have one on loan right now. A premium and it will be leaving soon. I could pack it up today and not miss it. It does have deep rules and there are times that you get everything right for a big pay off, but more often that not it has the same feel game after game.

Basically, in a nutshell, you start by selecting a song. The song has a lite shot. You now hit that shot once or twice depending on the song. Now, all shots are lite. Keep shooting to unlight shots. Shoot the song shot to relight. If cannon is lit, shot right ramp to load it and get a chance at getting all the points you have accumulated. But this is the same basic thing for every song. Yes, the one shot changes, but you then have every shot to shoot. Gets very, very repetitive to me.

Add to this there is no multiball lock. You simply hit the ramps, drop targets or loops x times to lit multiball. Now shoot the right ramp to load the cannon to start multiball. I guess I like the progression of locking a ball and working towards multiball. I just find this very same same. Hell, even the songs sound alot alike.

I understand there is strategy. You can start the multiball that is most appropriate for the song. You can get 2x and 3x playfield multiplier by hitting the bell x times. At the end of the day, though, I just find it's not a game I need.

If I had $5K in my pocket, I would buy TSPP. One of Sterns best. Or hold off and see how the code develops on the new ST. The game looks promising and Ritchie is behind it. His strong personality is going to ensure the code gets done to his satisfaction.

Cheers,
Duane

I realize

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I like modes... TAF has some of the best mode play in pinball (IJ, LOTR and XM are in that list for me as well). Yeah, you can play like a tournament player and just hit ramp/chair all day long and ignore the modes... but that's no fun.
Light show, callouts, and general feel I give to TAF as well. Great theme and well executed. Always fun to play.

ACDC is really cool and a much more modern game. There are plenty of bells and whistles (literally) that TAF doesn't have.... but I have to agree a bit with TwilightZone. The gameplay is meh for me. Too points-based for my liking and low on any other objectives that would make it more 'fun' for me. I want to play pinball, not bust out my calculator. Don't get me wrong. I'd still own one... but if I had to choose ;)

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Re: TAF or AC/DC ProjQuery18201842164589200571_1386255656649

Only you can decide which is the right choice for you. As you can see, everyone has their own opinion as to which game they would prefer and that's what is so great about pinball. :)

Go log decent amount of time on both before making your decision, and then you can't go wrong.

D

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Too bad their opinions are wrong :twisted:

Both Drano and Duane have barely scratched the surface to the depth of ACDC.

And the modes are no where near the same, perfect example of that would be Thunderstuck in ACDC. When you hit the lit standup beside the ramps, it then lights all shots, but there is also a roaming/storobing shot that is worth 3x value for hitting it, which can also be multiplied by the bell.

Or you have For those about the rock which loads the cannon every time you shoot the ramp, but with the ball in the cannon it can also extend the time you have on the 2x/3x for the PF mulitpiler since the timer stops while the ball is in the cannon.

Or TNT and how you have to risk going after the drops at the front and then lock in a hurry up value by hitting the target behind the drop targets.

Yes it is all driven to building a jackpot score, but that is what pinball is, everything is score driven.

TAF there is no consequence to anything, start a mode and if you ignore it or play it, it doesn't change anything, Take some points when you can or not, it doesn't matter. There is no risk to anything you do.

I won't argue the fact that TAF has great Theme integration, some of the best in all of pinball, but if you are only playing pinball for the "Story" video games do allot better job and are much cheaper.

So the choice comes down to, do you want to play a game that forces you to play every part of it, and makes every single shot count all of the time.

or do you want to play a game with a great theme, sound and art package but where the gameplay means very little to the actual game.

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
REVOLUTION said:
If you're playing for score, sure..

When aren't you playing for score?

Everyone is trying to get on the high score board, the advancing through the game is awarding cumulative points.

You can't play pinball without accumulating a score

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Vengeance said:
Too bad their opinions are wrong :twisted:

Adam has a tough time understanding there is no right or wrong opinion :lol:

Alot of the depth he talked about, I've actually noticed. I didn't bother to go into great detail. Gave my overall impression of the game and it's just same same.

Adam, says it himself,

"So the choice comes down to, do you want to play a game that forces you to play every part of it, and makes every single shot count all of the time."

Yep that's AC/DC, every shot, every game. Boring. Starts to feel same, same.

BTW, Adam:

"a game with a great theme, sound and art package"

This is an opinion :D Great theme? I disagree. Sound, cripes if I don't hear another AC/DC song for a month, I'm good. And the art package is crap. The cabinet is thrown together without any thought. The backglass is crap on all models. On the Pro, the Angus face looks awful. That's my opinion anyhow :lol:

Cheers,
Duane

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
TwilightZone said:
And the art package is crap. The cabinet is thrown together without any thought. The backglass is crap on all models. On the Pro, the Angus face looks awful.

Thank god Stern hit the artwork package out of the park with their latest "Luci" Edition :p

94.jpg

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
TwilightZone said:
BTW, Adam:

This is an opinion :D Great theme? I disagree. Sound, cripes if I don't hear another AC/DC song for a month, I'm good. And the art package is crap. The cabinet is thrown together without any thought. The backglass is crap on all models. On the Pro, the Angus face looks awful. That's my opinion anyhow :lol:

Cheers,
Duane

I was talking about TAF with regards to great theme, sound and art package :mrgreen:

You have to like ACDC to like the sound package, and the art is crap your right

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Vengeance said:
TwilightZone said:
BTW, Adam:

Cheers,
Duane

I was talking about TAF with regards to great theme, sound and art package :mrgreen:

You have to like ACDC to like the sound package, and the art is crap your right

:FP: I really need to read fully before I comment. :lol: I should pull a Warlock and delete my threads :lol:

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
mwong168 said:
TwilightZone said:
And the art package is crap. The cabinet is thrown together without any thought. The backglass is crap on all models. On the Pro, the Angus face looks awful.

Thank god Stern hit the artwork package out of the park with their latest "Luci" Edition :p

94.jpg

Oh yeah, that looks great. I guess the local high school had a competition? Art looks very, very amateur. I give them props for trying, but really it's a no brainer. If they want some sexy woman on the game, hire Stan Fukuoka:

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=ad ... %20Fukuoka

Compare AC/DC to Big Bang Bar. Now that's art!

Cheers,
Duane