• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

The US/Canadian Border Experience

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Here is someone else's border experience recently posted on another forum I frequent.

I don't own a car but rented a car for a few days to run some errands around Vancouver - got done a half a day early so had the car an extra half a day so rather than have it sit I decided to take it down to the states and drive around for a bit - I know I didn't have enough time to do much stuff but enough time to just quickly check out Seattle for a tasting of a future trip longer trip there. On the way in it was pretty painless - only briefly questioned me and quickly looked in the trunk.

On my way back I was questioned what I did by Canada - which I expected - because I didn't really do much I just told them I drove around and saw some sights and got some food to eat. They proceeded to ask me in more detail what I do, what I did down there, why I was only down there for a few hours, why I was alone, etc. etc. They didn't like my answers so they told me to park my car and go into the building. At this point I'm getting pretty nervous because I didn't really have anything else to tell them and probably seemed like I was nervous to them and hiding something.

I got in the building waited for someone to show up for 10 minutes then was questioned by a male and a female for about 20-30 minutes, eventually had my cell phones seized and forced to give the password to (when I asked them why they wanted it they told me that they were going to take an extra long look now because I was resisting), then he perused around at his own leisure while questioning various texts, emails, and things like that on my phone. At this point I was feeling violated (in shock) as I felt like a criminal coming back into my own country.

One of them suggested I may be gay and felt embarrassed about going to see a gay lover in the states and didn't want to admit that? WTF?

At least 6 or 7 times they asked (or accused me of being on drugs by saying my eyes look like I'm on drugs--I've never done drugs in my life), at least 6 or 7 times they asked if I had drugs in the car, the ended up searching through my wallet, having every card taken out and looked at, and had every item, papers I was carrying looked at, searched my car for about 20-30 minutes. They found nothing and eventually let me go.

All in all I was probably interrogated over a 2 hour period in the middle of the building for literally a few hour trip to the states. I'm still a bit shaken by the event.

Question is: How do I prevent this nonsense from happening again? The last two trips back to Canada I've been gone through additionally searches - although this one was particularly bad and I've never brought anything illegal back from the states. Perhaps I just look nervous when talking to the guards? (although if this is the case it's hard for me to change) Are these guards just power tripping and have got bad ones the last few times? I always cooperate with them but even that doesn't seem to help. I would really like to know what I can do in the future to prevent this from happening again.

flashinstinct

Nov 14, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm probably going down this weekend. If I buy a pin all I need is an invoice with price, the dude's address and contact information. Do I need anything else, like lube just in case I get anal probed at the border?

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
flashinstinct said:
I'm probably going down this weekend. If I buy a pin all I need is an invoice with price, the dude's address and contact information. Do I need anything else, like lube just in case I get anal probed at the border?

You got it all covered Guy.

scylla

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto, ON
flashinstinct said:

Bring your wife/girlfriend and have her look irritated/angry at the whole situation. That's the sure-fire way to prove there's nothing to hide apart from a woman who does not approve of your pinball spending habits.

I did this unintentionally when my husband and I brought a pin back from the US. At the customs counter, the officer looked at the amount we had declared and had just started looking through the supporting paperwork we brought with us when he suddenly asked, "so is this what you paid?". Without thinking, I responded with, "unfortunately". He and his other customs buddy thought this was absolutely hilarious (angry wife! could have bought more shoes!) and sent us off to the payment desk without checking things out any further.

Having said that, I wouldn't try this again. I agree short, to the point answers work best.