• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

FT Theatre of Magic and Jurassic Park (Stern)

AlexRogan84

Dec 4, 2020
Guelph
Just posting for the sake of discussion as I’m not ready to sell or trade or buy quite yet.

My Theatre of Magic is gorgeous. Plays great, LEDs, alternate translite from Brian Allen along with his art blades. Flippers rebuilt, rubbers replaced recently, trunk in good shape and works as it should.

For as pretty and amazing as this game is, I just don’t play it a lot. I have nine games total and I seem to play Funhouse or Cyclone or Getaway more than ToM.

My pinball area in the house is more or less at capacity so if one comes in one has to go out. Made me think of titles I really enjoy playing if they took the place of ToM. One at the top of that list is a Stern Jurassic Park.

I love playing JP anytime I find one. Pro or Premium. No idea how long the waiting list might be if ordering new but a distributor isn’t going to trade for a ToM anyway so moot point.

I can see current new prices for Stern games. I’m not into the Insider Connected thing so getting one without is fine by me. Just wondering if I’m out to lunch thinking a potential trade might be out there. I see Pro’s listed locally at around the $9k mark and Premiums, well, more than that but I don’t know how much more.

Not sure if it would end up being a straight up trade or cash going one way or the other. Would depend on the particular game and condition I guess. Thoughts? Thanks.

roar

Oct 22, 2015
Waterdown
I've spent a ton of time on TOM and owned a JP Pro, as much as I love TOM, I'd take the JP all day. TOM's depth or challenge if you will is limited, I've never owned it but I've reached the wizard mode and beat it numerous times. I've had my fill of it, JP on the other hand, kicked my butt for the time that I owned it and I would love another run at it. A lot more going on with a number of considerably more difficult shots to hone you skills with.

Trade wise, people still love their Bally/William pins and I don't think their prices have ever been higher. As newer run Sterns still in production seem to be settling down on the secondary market, trading at near or even below MSRP I think you'd be getting money back if you traded for a Pro and if you traded for a Premium it could be a wash or you may have to kick a couple of bucks in. These are only my opinions of course, if you find the right dance partner though you should both be happy.

Only thing to consider, if you ever want the TOM back you will have a much more difficult time finding one in the condition yours is in quite likely... and embrace Insider Connect, it gives the game extra life, I like it a lot :).

Reactions: IVPinball

pinballjah

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Probably should change the title to something like,"TOM for a JP". It looks like based on the title you have both games and are looking to trade for something else. Thanks.

AlexRogan84

Dec 4, 2020
Guelph
I've spent a ton of time on TOM and owned a JP Pro, as much as I love TOM, I'd take the JP all day. TOM's depth or challenge if you will is limited, I've never owned it but I've reached the wizard mode and beat it numerous times. I've had my fill of it, JP on the other hand, kicked my butt for the time that I owned it and I would love another run at it. A lot more going on with a number of considerably more difficult shots to hone you skills with.

Trade wise, people still love their Bally/William pins and I don't think their prices have ever been higher. As newer run Sterns still in production seem to be settling down on the secondary market, trading at near or even below MSRP I think you'd be getting money back if you traded for a Pro and if you traded for a Premium it could be a wash or you may have to kick a couple of bucks in. These are only my opinions of course, if you find the right dance partner though you should both be happy.

Only thing to consider, if you ever want the TOM back you will have a much more difficult time finding one in the condition yours is in quite likely... and embrace Insider Connect, it gives the game extra life, I like it a lot :).

Thanks for that. All good points. For sure I know what you mean about beating the game and getting the grand finale wizard mode. Maybe not every time I play it but enough that it stopped being challenging. The shots are really well laid out. So well laid out that it borders on being too easy. Strange predicament. I get to redline mania and the super jackpot most games I play on Getaway too yet I keep playing it again and again and again. Not sure why the difference in the two games. You can master a game it seems and be done with it or master the game and keep coming back to play it again.

Your comment about being concerned that if I want a ToM back some day in similar condition and won’t be able to find one is important. And accurate. Funny hobby that we pour over these games making them immaculate and play fantastically and then play them some more and suddenly get bored. Personally I love digging into a new game and rebuilding it, tearing it down, dialing it in, all that stuff. That’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I sure do enjoy it. I should be doing it more as kind of a side gig to be honest. Just hate seeing all my hard work go out the door, lol.