• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Tim's JOKERZ! thread

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Probably best $59.95 spent on that new upper ramp as you could barely even see through the old one. Keep up the good work TIm.

BOO

Aug 9, 2013
Toronto, Canada
tim.sanderson said:
boobooboi said:
Tim, what's this I hear about you erasing my high score???
I forgot to break the bad news, buddy... Ben (bstock) edged you out by a narrow margin. You'll have to come by to (try) reclaim your title when it's back together again!
ah crap!

tim.sanderson

spiroagnew said:
It actually just tastes like every other Chinese beer. AKA a clone of Heineken.
It does indeed taste the same as other Chinese beers I've had. I'm not a big Heineken drinker, so I can't make the comparison. Maybe that's just an excuse to drink that tomorrow night. ;)

Here's the mostly assembled UMP:

The original decal actually looks fantastic. I may not need to reproduce it anytime soon. Although the red and white strip along the back looks horrible. That I'll definitely be re-doing. I countersunk some the holes for the five switches. I gave it a little Sanderson-panache by using blue anodized 4-40 pan-heads to hold them to the playfield. I've got to make another new gate, as I've realized the one at the end of the right side ramp isn't even originally from this game. Other than that everything's gone back together quite swimmingly.

Attachments

• UMP01.jpg
    UMP01.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 758

SquidVicious

Nov 15, 2012
Oakville, Ontario, Canada
tim.sanderson said:
spiroagnew said:
It actually just tastes like every other Chinese beer. AKA a clone of Heineken.
It does indeed taste the same as other Chinese beers I've had. I'm not a big Heineken drinker, so I can't make the comparison. Maybe that's just an excuse to drink that tomorrow night. ;)

Here's the mostly assembled UMP:

The original decal actually looks fantastic. I may not need to reproduce it anytime soon. Although the red and white strip along the back looks horrible. That I'll definitely be re-doing. I countersunk some the holes for the five switches. I gave it a little Sanderson-panache by using blue anodized 4-40 pan-heads to hold them to the playfield. I've got to make another new gate, as I've realized the one at the end of the right side ramp isn't even originally from this game. Other than that everything's gone back together quite swimmingly.

Odd as it was actually ther Germans that 'helped' the Chinese develop their beer in the home of Chinese beer Tsingtao (late 19th century/early 20th century gunboat politics)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsingtao_Brewery

Glad to see how nice the playfield has turned out Tim.

tim.sanderson

Here's my home brew gate assembly. Like my ex-girlfriend, she may not be pretty but she knows handle the balls.

I made it out of a piece of flat brass and music wire. I used a vice, pliers, drill press, and dremel. I called Starburst, but apparently all they have are the wire part of the gate. This will have to do until I can find an original/repro gate assembly. The good news is this one goes under the UMP, and won't be seen by the player.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSQcFkJnp94&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Attachments

• home brew gate.jpg
    home brew gate.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 499

tim.sanderson

The last step in my upper middle playfield is to come up with the little metal transitions that bridge the gap between the ramps and UMP. (they didn't come with the machine) I've tried to find them in the manual, but no luck. I can't even seem to find any reference to them online. Are these something I'll have to make myself, or are they a common part? Here's what the bottom ones look like:

I'm assuming I'll have to rivet them into place.

Attachments

• ramp thingy 600px.jpg
    ramp thingy 600px.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 482

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
tim.sanderson said:
I think I've found them... I just need to find something from this continent.
http://www.pinball.co/Products/2312-01-8795.aspx
I just don't know if they're the same on the top and bottom of the ramp.

That's for funhouse Tim, that won't fit your machine.

If you can't find the specific ramp flaps you can make your own with just regular spring steel

http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html

You will have to cut out the shapes yourself but that is your best bet for replacing them.

tim.sanderson

Vengeance said:
That's for funhouse Tim, that won't fit your machine.

If you can't find the specific ramp flaps you can make your own with just regular spring steel
http://www.pinrestore.com/Supplies.html
You will have to cut out the shapes yourself but that is your best bet for replacing them.
That's actually the part number they give in my manual.

I'm still probably better off making my own. I brought some thin aluminum and copper sheets home when I bought the machine, I'll see how well that works out for me. Failing that, I'll buy some of the metal you posted above. I might have to take you up on your offer of borrowing your rivet tool thingy, unless it would be worthwhile buying my own.

Attachments

• flap part number.jpg
    flap part number.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 464

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
tim.sanderson said:
Yow, that's a lot bigger/more expensive of a machine that I thought it'd be. I'd probably be better just bringing the ramps and flaps over to rivet at your place when you get it back.

Sounds like a plan :)