• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Underrated pins?

jooky

Nov 18, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I had the chance last week to play junkyard for a solid session while waiting for a flight at Calgary airport.

I must say this pin is quite fun and yet seems to fly under the radar a lot for a mid 90's B/W title. The crane bash toy is fun, the small jackpot shot right behind the crane is challenging to hit, some amusing video modes (firing toast at a bulldog?!), lots of ramp shots, plus tributes to other games like Mamushka from TAF and CFTBL, this game has a lot going on! I'll admit the theme is a little weird, with building a spaceship from junkyard parts.

Anyone else give this one a decent whirl? Any other underrated pins out there that should get appreciated more than they do?

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
Play it some more and it will sink it why it sucks ;)

Fun to play in other people's collections once and a while, boring as shit to own for the long term

bstock

Apr 1, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
I don't really hear too much about Jackbot. I played it for the first time at the CPC. It's simple enough but seemed like it could be pretty addictive. I had a blast playing it and it's certainly on my radar now.

Also played Godzilla for the first time at the same event. Don't really hear people talk about this one either, but for the brief amount of time I played it, it seemed like a fun little game.

Happy to hear others comments on both of these titles. Also curious how many Godzilla's were made if anyone knows.

hippochrome

Nov 19, 2012
Ottawa
bstock said:
I don't really hear too much about Jackbot. I played it for the first time at the CPC. It's simple enough but seemed like it could be pretty addictive. I had a blast playing it and it's certainly on my radar now.

Also played Godzilla for the first time at the same event. Don't really hear people talk about this one either, but for the brief amount of time I played it, it seemed like a fun little game.

Happy to hear others comments on both of these titles. Also curious how many Godzilla's were made if anyone knows.

My take on Jack Bot:
It's got Pinbot’s classic charm, but has so much more to do in it. Plus, it has the neat aspect of gambling your points that you earn along the way; a very strange, but also very addictive feature in a game. The artwork is a big improvement on Pinbot as well; I found the drawings on PinBot very basic, and even roughly done in places.

For gameplay, a big improvement is making it a 3-ball multiball! This was a major pet-peeve of mine with Pinbot only having 2-balls. After that, the addition of a DMD makes this game. The rules, strategy, everything, is now completely different. It’s a major change for the better!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Also picked up a JM on Mike's recommendation.
I'm also at that point in my collections where I'm enjoying finding out about hidden gems.

While most people have pretty much figured out the score on most DMDs, I'm finding that rediscovering some early SS and even EM games has really been exciting as well. My last container game, Farfalla, is a great example.

There also seem to be some good Sega and DE pins that generally don't get a lot of attention.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
DRANO said:
There also seem to be some good Sega and DE pins that generally don't get a lot of attention.

Baywatch is another underrated pin made by SEGA with 4 flippers, ramps and a ton of wire forms!

image-4.jpg

Honey Badger

Nov 20, 2012
Ottawa
Sega and Data East pins are my favorite to play. TFTC, Tommy, MSF, JP, LAH, X-Files, BF, and Baywatch are all fun as hell.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Ripley's Believe It or Not (aka poorman's TZ) is often over looked and a fun and hard game too.