• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Urban Legend Confirmed: Atari's ET

spiroagnew

Staff member
Dec 1, 2012
Scotch Block, ON
www.creditdotpinball.com
http://o.canada.com/technology/gaming/e ... o-landfill

After years of debate about whether or not Atari dumped truckloads of unsold copies of ET: The Extra Terrestrial video game in a New Mexico landfill and covered them in concrete, a documentary crew went in to dig them up...and easily found 100s of cartridges, boxes and instruction booklets, confirming the legend. I actually owned a copy of this turkey of a game for the 2600 when I was young. My parents bought it at a deep discount as they just didn't sell at all.

tim.sanderson

I had that game as well. I was likely 6 or 7 years old or so when I got it. I just remember being so frustrated, trying to get out of that damn well. I figured I was just bad at the game. Little did I know it was just the worst game in history!

I recently installed a 2600 emulator, but haven't been able to bring myself to play it again. I've been too busy playing good games like H.E.R.O. and Pitfall.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I totally remember playing this at a friend's place I don't remember this game being any harder than any other, but frankly, I sucked at video games as a kid. lol

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I read an article on this a while ago, they mentioned that there was more copies of ET then 2600 consoles.

This was back from a time when marketers thought that a licence would sell a product regardless of the quality of their product. This was such a horrible flop. It's right up there with other colossal screw ups as the mario bros movie.