• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

What are the ideal power needs for my gameroom?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Okay,
So the old house is sold and I get the new one in about 10 days.
One of the first things I'll be doing is upgrading the electrical throughout the home and in the future gameroom.

So, what should I be requesting from my electrician?
Just need to know what sort of service I need to specify and how many games I can safely hook up per circuit?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
You should ask Beafraid what he did as I think he plans on having a single outlet for each one of his pins :D I heard the same magic number of 3-4 for each circuit as well.

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
ive got 45 amps dedicated to pinball-arcade stuff,thats only 3 x 15amp breakers
the house has a 150 amp pannel ,and if fully loaded!!! (electric heating)

depending on how many pins you got ,a 100 Amp (if heated electric) might not be enough......better play safe and get a bigger pannel

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
luch said:
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/safe-to-run-5-machines-on-one-outlet have a look at this on pinside

i did some current tests last fall....
3 DMD pins is safest ,4 is pushing it and 5 is only playing 3 at a time.....

WARNING!!! having a 20 amp breaker on a 15 amp outlets is NOT Code legal!!
if you house burns down because of this ,and they find out.....you up shit creek without a dime!!

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
Thanks guys,
I'm going to see if 200A service is possible in my area and try and get at least one 20A circuit to every 3-4 pins.

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
Are you saying it's not good to run my entire games room off one outlet? :lol:

149413-425x283-overloaded_electric_outlet.jpg

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
DRANO said:
Thanks guys,
I'm going to see if 200A service is possible in my area and try and get at least one 20A circuit to every 3-4 pins.
That is definitely a good plan Adriano. You can easily put 3-4 DMD's, or 5-6 EM or SS machines on each new 20A circuit.

Chris, great photo. Good for a chuckle this morning. Thanks for that. To answer Luckydogg420's question, here is the long answer. lol

The general rule for power draw for an EM machine is 2.0 to 2.5 amps. (+/- 10-15%) This is similar for early SS machines as well. (1977-1982)
This can vary depending on what bulbs you have installed in the machines since 44's will draw more current than 47's will for example.

On a standard 110/120 - 15 amp home circuit, you can sometimes have as many as 5-6-7 EM and SS machines hooked up to one circuit.
I personally don't recommend more than 4-5 on a circuit for EM's and SS machines. I don't want to draw 15 amps all the time, especially
in homes with older wiring. In some older homes you may not get your full amperage or voltage either, so that is worth testing as well.

I use a rule of thumb of 80 % amperage draw maximum. By that I mean that if you have 4 machines @ 3 amps draw each, I personally only put
4 x 3 amps = 12 amps on a circuit, even though it could draw and handle power for 1-2 more machines in all likelihood. This is for effeciency
and safety.

If you know 5 machines that each have a draw of 2.5 amps each, (for myself games like Volley and Firepower) then I am still comfortable putting
all 5 on one circuit for a draw of approximately 12.5 amps total.

DMD's as previously mentioned, draw more amperage, and 3-4 machines per 15 amp circuit is usually enough since 4-5 machines can trip the circuit
depending on which machines they are and what the draw is with crazy mods these days. LED's can help reduce amperage draw as well. For my DMD's
I personally have 3 machines @ 3 to 4 amps each = 12 amps approximately on one circuit.

Like Magneto stated, you are likely only going to have an issue if you have 5 DMD's turned on and are trying to play more than 3 DMD's at the same time on that one circuit. In attract mode, you can have 5 hooked up looking pretty, but only play 3 at once. (with the other 2 still turned on) before you blow your circuit trying the 4th.

Luch pointed out a thread to read on Pinside, and RPG also has some old threads worth reading regarding power and amperage draw. Read up lots on this.

Safety first. Enjoy.

This is all a moot point for me these days. With kids that are so energy conscious, they only let me have one game on at a time if they are around. If I turn the machines on and go for a glass of water, I guarantee they turn them all off before I get back to play them.

Magneto

Nov 15, 2012
Laval,Que
the coils in the newer games are A LOT stonger and bigger drawing much more current, when in multi-ball several coils fire at the same time pulling up to 5 amps per machine

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
Yup, Luc (Magneto) is right on it. Cost is also the factor when deciding what to do with DMD modifications. Just assume 4 to 5 amps per machine, so 3 running max per circuit and that is where you are at regardless of the changes you make to it. (with a max of 2 additional DMD machines turned on for the ambience of the lighting if you desire)