• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

What is the best sit down driving game?

KILR5L

Jun 25, 2013
Kitchener
Hey everyone. Question? I'm looking at getting a sit down driving game. What is the best games. Like cruzin, need for speed etc. TIA

Jeff K.

Jun 27, 2013
Toronto
I own a couple of sit-down Cruisn Exoticas and they are really enjoyed by my family and friends. Good selection of fun tracks.

Luckydogg420

May 12, 2013
Kitchener
I built a race seat with a PS3 and 3D tv and a Logitech g27 steering wheel. Usually I play gran tourismo on it. Although I'll probably upgrade the PlayStation for a pc sometime to play project cars 2 when it comes out.

Although it's not as easy for guests to just sit down and play, it's a lot of fun. I prefer realism over arcade play, plus the G27 wheel comes with a working clutch pedal and a 6 speed gear shift. Most sit down arcade racers don't have a clutch.

San Francisco rush has always been a good series of games. crusin' USA/world are also fun and come up on kijiji quite often.

If you got big bucks and want something new for the kiddos then MARIO cart arcade is a blast too

Reactions: KILR5L

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
If you got big bucks and want something new for the kiddos then MARIO cart arcade is a blast too

2014_GTI_Taipei_Day1_BNGI_MarioKart.jpg

I think Jeff K got a quote recently from SB for a pair of these to replace his Cruisin' USA Exotica but it was over $13k. I played around with this using the Dolphin Emulator and keyboard last year and it plays pretty smooth but too bad there isn't a way to link two or more computers.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Mario_Kart_Arcade_GP_2

I'm wondering if the controls can be mapped to a Logitech G25/G27 wheel or not. I haven't really played much with steering hardware for PC before and actually right now am in the process of building my own dedicated sit down driver.

I've started by gathering things like:

- Thrustmaster RS300 GT Edition Steering Wheel and Pedals

maxresdefault.jpg

I was hunting for a used Logitech G27 wheel on kijiji for a few weeks but I heard lots of mixed reviews on them and their lack of official support for console systems. I also heard they are getting or are already out of the steering hardware market so there goes any sort of future support too. I've always been a fan of the Gran Turismo series ever since it debuted on the original Sony Playstation so I went with the Thrustmaster T300RS GT edition wheel which has upgraded metal pedals from the regular version. I plan on adding the TH8A shifter shown below later on once I have the sit down cockpit built.
81%2BEKHnxtoL._SL1500_.jpg

- Sony Playstation 3

As I mentioned above being a fan of the Gran Turismo series, I figure why not take advantage of the cheap PS3 hardware that can be had for very little. I picked up a used PS3 with 2 wireless dualshock controllers and six games for $100. I've sold off two games that I didn't care for and one wireless controller for $40 so am left at net $60 for the remains. Also the PS3 already has an established library of driving games and I've already collected the following games for average $3-7/each off kijiji

Blur
Dirt 3
Gran Turismo 5
Gran Turismo 6
Grid
Juiced 2
Midnight Club Los Angeles
Motorstorm
Motorstorm Apocalypse
Motorstorm Pacific Rim
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Need for Speed Pro Street
Need for Speed Rivals
Need for Speed The Run
Sega Rally Revo
WRC 4: FIA World Rally Championship

- Sony Playstation 4

I figured why not since my Thrustmaster wheel is Playstation 4 compatible and original or used slim consoles can be had for $200-250. There are lots of people dumping them to upgrade to the Playstation 4 Pro which supports future 4K gaming. I picked up a used one with a wireless controller for $200. I've already got every single driving game for it except for Drive Club which I am patiently waiting for someone to sell used on kijiji.

- Samsung 58" Smart LED TV (UN58H5202)

- Pair of used Acura RSX Type S Leather seats with rails in mint shape

8.jpg

I haven't decided if I plan on building a single or dual setup but these came up for a reasonable price on kijiji and sorta resemble Recaro seats. I am a bit disappointed to find out that Sony Playstation 3 and 4 can't be linked offline via LAN to battle against someone. To do that each system needs to have a Playstation ID and online yearly subscription. If I do decide to build a dual setup at least both seats will be matching.

Since moving into my new house last December I have a little bit more room and decided instead of just eating up that space with 2-3 more pins I am going to do something I've always wish I had the space for which is a dedicated sit down driver cab. I was going to get a pair of Rush the Rock Alcatraz edition cabs because my friend SuperJackpot (Barry) had them and said they are a blast to play when company is over. But then I thought about my stairs and how much my back would hate me. So I decided that I will go down the path I am on now because I can build the cab to be modular and whatever size suits my area or needs. Plus my setup won't just be good for one game but I can play whatever the PS3/PS4 and later PC can support. Also don't have to deal with potential arcade board or CRT problems too.

I've got some other ideas in mind and will probably start a dedicated build thread later once I make more progress besides just spending money collecting stuff :D

mcuzz

Apr 23, 2016
Georgetown
I found a cheap California speed, completely gutted it, put a PlayStation 3 in with the Logitech wheel and went to the junkyard bought a seat for 50 bucks , fit the biggest screen inside.
Now it plays about 20 games that are much better than any arcade racing game ever was.
IMG_2991.JPG