• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

What's a Black Knight worth?

scylla

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto, ON
Sorry if I'm posting to the wrong section...

Friend of a friend in Ontario has a Black Knight and has asked for help in figuring out the ballpark value. It belonged to her husband who recently passed away and she wants to sell it for a fair price. Let's assume condition is a 7 out of 10. Apparently they are the second owners - so let's assume HUO. We have seen photos but they weren't very good ones. Friend is going back to take better photos and also play the pin to make sure everything works.

Friend may buy the pin. If friend doesn't buy the pin and it becomes available, we'll let people know. I would love to take it - but renovations. :(

monty

Jul 30, 2014
Ottawa
the HUO factor is the big variable here. based on my observations, standard "players condition" BKs have been listed for $1600-$1800 in my area. if you search PBRev there have been a few listed in this range. have also seen some restored/minty examples listed for upwards of $2000-$3000 though. in both cases i think that's a little too much for a BK, but that's just me.

a fair price (sight unseen) to me would be around $1500 based on the description, adjusting upwards or downwards by a few hundred dollars depending on condition. this game had a huge production run so there are a lot out there.

Reactions: scylla

REVOLUTION

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
GTA
www.pinballrevolution.com
I agree with Monty here.. "2nd owner" and "HUO" is a really big leap to be honest. Are they the second owner of a pin that's been in a bar for 30 years? Also I've seen some "HUO" games that were pretty beat up (and I've seen routed games that were pristine), so that term has no meaning to me any more.. condition is key, HUO or not!

$1500 - $1800 is a good ballpark to work with if it's a complete, working game. It's not rare by any means (one of WMS' best sellers), but it has a huge nostalgia factor with a lot of folks so it commands a fair price these days.

Point is, if you can post pics (without revealing the source), we can definitely give you and your friend a better idea.

Reactions: monty

scylla

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto, ON
Thanks to both of you - this is very helpful. I've asked for more photos and will post them once they become available. The few photos available were taken quickly on a cell and didn't have high enough resolution to really determine playfield /cabinet / etc. condition (although it looked good).

If my friend doesn't end up taking it - I've asked her to make it available to the community here first before posting it on kijiji or anything like that. (My friend is doing the leg work for the elderly lady who owns the pin.)

scylla

Mar 13, 2013
Toronto, ON
Because we all like knowing how a story ended...

Seller did some googling and has decided the pin is worth $4,500. Sigh.

monty

Jul 30, 2014
Ottawa
You guys are lowballers .. that could easily fetch 2500 these days... no way 4500 but atleast 2500. I sold mine 10 years ago for $1200

it wouldn't fetch $2500 from me, but that's me. a pin is worth as much as someone is willing to pay i guess. what you sold yours for 10 years has no bearing on today's price, but even then, not sure how $2,500 could be justified even if you assumed very aggressive inflation...

i still stand by my approximation (read: opinion) of value - if you search through forums like PBRev and MAACA recently i think you'll find very few examples with an asking price in the $2,500 range.

here's some US data:

Boston Pinball (USD$) - Average Price $1,200 / Average 12 Months $1,500
Pinside Estimated value (USD$) - $1390 - $1610

there are a TON of Black Knights in Canada, so i wouldn't expect the current state of the USD/CAD $ to impact those averages above much.

finally - there were no photos of this pin posted, so condition cannot be assessed, which is the most important thing when pricing a used pin.

my 2 cents!

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Just for reference I sold a working BK almost 10 years ago for $750. And how is the BK in that link a limited edition? (the link is claiming so)

The seller should learn pretty quickly that market value on this game is nowhere near $4500 when it doesn't sell.

D

tkaye

Mar 17, 2013
Ancaster, On
I had one sold last year for $1800 in what I would say 7 out of 10 condition. The "allknowing" new user calling the forum out as "lowballers" is out of line. I agree with Monty's detailed assessment and free appraisal.

Razor

Jun 4, 2014
North Bay
Pretty much, there's a micro switch on the multi ball kickout and maybe some zero ohm resistors on the driver board.