• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

TIP What's a TOTAN or TOM worth these days?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
That's a big spread :D

But I have to agree with ZOD. I've owned a few JPOP games and just cannot figure why they get the money they do. They sure are pretty and they shoot nice, but that's about where it stops. Terrible and repetitive rules with easy points exploits.

I sold a super nice TOTAN for about $8500 last year if memory serves. There are some pics of it in my projects thread.

TOM probably hovers a couple thousand less I think. It's even more one-dimensional than TOTAN (if that's even possible).

If I absolutely had to own a JPOP game I'd probably go with CV or WCS94... with the latter being the most affordable.

That's just my two cents

Menace

Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Santiago de Aurora
Last ToTAN to sell around these parts went for 10K, and then it was shipped out west. I still have my HUO ToTAN which I'll be cutting loose, but it'll be more than 10K.

D

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I sold my TOTAN for $8000 just over a year ago and there was two TOMs that sold in the past 3-4 months for $7200 here:

http://www.pinballrevolution.com/threads/theatre-of-magic.4799/

and another one about 2 months ago for $8500. It had a treasure cove playfield in it and reassembly was performed by Menace many years ago as well as a restored cab with new decals applied by poolman. The game still looks and plays great according to the new owner.

All I can say is thank god I only have $3000 into my base TOM game :p I splurged this past May and upgraded my trim to Chestnut brass plated for $650cdn from Rob over at pinballplatingandmore.com

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I sold my TOTAN for $8000 just over a year ago and there was two TOMs that sold in the past 3-4 months for $7200 here:

Man! Just think of all the GOOD games I could buy with $15,200 :cool:

That's like 3-4 moderately priced Bally/Williams DMDs, or about 5-7 classic solid state machines... or even 2 modern Sterns (pro)!!!
All of which likely have better rules and game play than either of those two machines.

I get why classic BW like MM and TZ get big dollars, but these "dumb blonde" JPOP pins (as Mike calls them) just mystify me. I had the bug for TOTAN and CV for a while. I just had to have them. In the end, I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I'd have to say CV, as weird as it was, is still my favorite of the bunch... but even that one would wear on me after a while.

Reactions: WARLOCK

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
I've had a CV for a while now, and while it's not the deepest game out there, it's still a lot of fun. Unique layout, and some cool mechanical effects. I'd probably part with it if I wanted something else badly enough, but it's also a game that my kids really like playing, so it's staying put for now.

Reactions: WARLOCK and Menace

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I get why classic BW like MM and TZ get big dollars, but these "dumb blonde" JPOP pins (as Mike calls them) just mystify me. I had the bug for TOTAN and CV for a while. I just had to have them. In the end, I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. I'd have to say CV, as weird as it was, is still my favorite of the bunch... but even that one would wear on me after a while.

8488928057_eabb2d73b9_c.jpg

I did have the JPOOP trifecta setup side by side only for a little over 2 months. There are just better games out there to be had for the same or less money. I'm just glad I got them when I did while they were somewhat reasonably priced.

According to my "spreadsheet" here is how long each lasted:
[03/10/2012 - current] Theatre of Magic
[07/28/2012 - 10/06/2015] Tales of the Arabian Nights
[11/25/2012 - 01/27/2013] Cirqus Voltaire

They are all works of art and wonderful to look at but if you are looking for a deep rule set then you will be very disappointed. TOM probably has the shallowest rules but I just love how smooth the game shoots and I also think it has the best theme and looks of the 3. It is also very popular when I have non pinheads over to play as the game is very easy to understand as it tells you exactly what to do and very forgiving with decent ball times.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
It is also very popular when I have non pinheads over to play as the game is very easy to understand as it tells you exactly what to do and very forgiving with decent ball times.

I just send the noobs over to the EMs and early SS. Can't do much about ball times with those though

Reactions: WARLOCK

WARLOCK

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
The Bluffs, Scarborough
No surprise that I am with Wong and Drano on this thread...
I've likely owned as many or more of the B/W JPOP games than almost anyone... (10 examples) of the 5 pins John designed.
End result is the same response and result as Wong in physical presence regarding ToM, CV and TOTAN, yet I still love the games I sold.

I had 2 or 3 TOTAN's and the last one I sold was the Chad Keller restored one for $10,000. Only example I have ever played that is nicer is Menace's HUO TOTAN. It is beautiful, and if I just had a few at home for non-pinheads to play, this would be the best and greatest candidate.

I had 2 TOM's, but the only but the only one intended for me was the one Wong found me years ago. It took years back then for Mike to locate it as well. Chesnutt brass and new ramps installed. It will be up and playable after over 3 years finally at Bluffs season finals on Dec. 17.

I've owed 3 WCS 94's and I keep buying them and then selling them to friends. I don't think this situation will ever change. Great for friends and pinheads but fantastic for kids. Star Wars Episode 1 is in this same category. Like WCS94, too easy for league and tournament play but great for family and friends and non-pinheads to play.

CV is beautiful. Mine went from Drano to me to a really good home. Like Drano, I wished I kept it and played it longer, but I know Bardon has one and is open to trades so....

As for keepers, just ToM and SWE1 for me for now, but loved the rest as art and pretty pins. Had to make room for more challenging pins is all.

Someone on the forum offered $9500 cash for a ToM not too long ago. I don't recall anyone I know with a ToM that bit and sold theirs...

Last edited: