• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Whirlwind backboard lighting question (lighting flashers not workin)

VA3AVP

Dec 22, 2013
BelleRiver
On the backboard of Whirlwind there is two or three bulbs that are supposed to flash and give the lighting effect on the marquis when in attract mode.
All my backboard lights work but mine has never done that there is a little relay on the back board with two plugs that run to all the backboard lights.
I ordered the relay from Marco and soldered it on the board with no results still all lights work but the three bulbs have different wiring running from second little plug on illumination control solenoid board.
The plug with lots of pins appears to power all the lights the small plug with two pins appears to do nothing?
Could this be an issue with the board not sending out the proper signal?

Its not a real big deal but would be nice to know why there not working obviously all ground and power are good because every bulb on the backboard works.

I attached a picture of the part I just replaced the relay/solenoid on my old board could there be a bad diode on the board or something preventing the flashers from working?

Attachments

• detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 6

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Does the relay click when you put the machine in Test, Solenoids ?
According to the manual, the relay is driven by Solenoid 16 (Q6 on the driver board).

Things to check:
- Flash bulbs are the proper type (906 I think)
- All Flasher bulbs on the insert are good - some are in-series typically (two bulbs at a time), so if one is burned, a string of two no longer works.
- Resistors for the flash bulbs are good (on interconnect board according to the manual - unless these resistors are nearby on the backbox insert)
- the small 2-prong plug is inserted in the proper orientation on the relay board on the insert.

Good luck !
- Sylvain.

Reactions: Menace

VA3AVP

Dec 22, 2013
BelleRiver
I will have to check in test mode tomorrow I know the relay works because when you finish a high score game the relay clicks half the back board lights off when the game does a light show after the light show the relay clicks again and lights up the entire back board again every bulb on the back board lights but there is three with alternate wires where they should flash and they just stay on solid I believe all the bulbs on the back board are 906 's
I have replaced 4 boards in this game so far to new but the driver board is original and looks old maybe a problem there will try your suggestions

Thank you guys

David - BelleRiver, Ontario Canada