• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Whirlwind lighting issue

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario
Under my playfield some of the inserts have both a small bayonet bulb and a large wedge bulb. The large wedge never comes on? Is there a time it should?
Also just added LED, during game play the same led may on and bright, but at other times it just goes dull and and almost not noticeable?

sylvain

Apr 27, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I assume those should be for #906 bulbs for flash effect.
They are driven by the MPU/solenoid transistor drivers and through A/C select relay,
then through power resistors (often burned or desoldered over time).
The game manual should have some info

Good luck!

Reactions: gunner007

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario
They are driven by the MPU/solenoid transistor drivers and through A/C select relay,

Good luck!
Thanks. I have things to check for sure. I'll check that next

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario

Good luck!
So I guess they don't come on during the all light test. But during the coil test. And tada found a dead bulb. problem solved.

Reactions: sylvain

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario
I replaced all the incandescent to LED. Non Ghosting. But yet there is still ghosting with the computer controlled LED?

Anyone have this on this pin before?

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario
So I started to go through the lamp test. The LED are NG for starters. Lamp test results started like this.
1 middle stand up
04 01
lamp 9 was flashing as well

2 INS UP JETS ON
1,41,42,58 were flashing as well

Along with those issues the 3 lamp test. The pin said it was INS 500K But infact 03 is the 250K? As well as I carried on the test went from lamp 5 to lamp 7 missing test 6?
and the results of this 3 lamp test were
INS 500K
04 03
1,41,43 were flashing

INS EX Ball on
04 04
1,41,44 flashing

The entire list keeps going with many lights flashing and some flikering?

Any one with some insight?

Attachments

• lightMatrix.jpg
    lightMatrix.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario
Update if anyone is interested. Someone suggested to me weeks ago when I first had this issue that they have a Whirlwind and swapped out their NG led to Comet LED. Well I ordered a few Comet LED and every light that flickered when it wasn't supposed to during the lamp test. I would pop in a comet. and TADA magic the it didn't flicker??

Last edited:

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario
Well $150 of comet lamps on the way, So the large scale test will be soon. Also the original seller offered to take back the LED. Which I'm grateful for. Just I still wonder what it is about Whirlwind that would do this while my other pin doesn't with the same LED?

gunner007

Jan 26, 2024
kingston Ontario
Replaced all the LED in my Whirlwind to comet. flickering issue solved! Don't know why fully, I have some ideas and thoughts that Comet wrote to me. But a lot of diagnostics and help from the community so thanks for all of that and some new skills I learned on the way.