• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Wrath of Olympus

Chambahz

Dec 15, 2012
East York, Toronto
Did any of you Allentown guys put any time on Wrath of Olympus?
Any comments on it?
Looks awesome from what I've seen on Pinside...

Anyone?

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I played it a few times. I know one of the programmers (Frank) and he and I were having a few head to head games while he explained the expanded rule-set.

The game was playing a lot better than it was at Expo in October. That being said, I think there is still a long way to go.
I'm not personally crazy about the shot map. Seems all the major shots are lined up side by side about half-way up the playfiled. Seems like you're shooting at a wall and trying to get through one of the holes. It played pretty strong, but some shots still felt very sloppy, the upper playfield is near impossible to get to and some of the shots are very obscured from the player's line of sight.
My biggest frustration (aside from not being able to make the upper playfield shot) was that the right orbit would spill the ball onto the top of the slingshot instead of the right flipper.

The good parts would be the art and animations. The game looks fantastic!
They are planning to reveal a revised layout by Expo this year and some of the issues mentioned above may be addressed.
Overall it is an awesome effort on the part of the team and it looks miles better than many 'home brew' projects I've seen and played.
I'd take it over AMH any day :D

frolic

Nov 19, 2012
Tdot
It's interesting to see the new projects, and how many of them can get a lot right, but none of them (so far) can get it all right. Shows how complicated it is to create a real pinball. All those engineers employed at Stern actually do something :).

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
frolic said:
It's interesting to see the new projects, and how many of them can get a lot right, but none of them (so far) can get it all right. Shows how complicated it is to create a real pinball. All those engineers employed at Stern actually do something :).

I think the real problem is that none of these people who have been creating these boutique projects (aside from JPOP) is actually a designer.
Sure, maybe they have some programming ability or even some illustration or graphic design background, but real industrial design is not something you come by overnight. However, with enough R&D, prototyping and testing, I'm sure the game could be a solid player.