• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

X-MEN LE price check

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
Wife wants Xmen game. Likes spinning magneto magnet gimmick. The good news is I have not heard anything about Champion Pub in a month now.

Wondered what HUO one was going for to compare to NIB price, I think you can still find these in the box.

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
Thanks. Was thinking closer to 5500 HUO and 6200 NIB. Not sure they have bottomed out price-wise yet. Pretty sure there is no line to get a NIB one. May wait a bit.

A different question could be for 6000 what is the best machine(s) to get for a casual female player that loves gimmicks? Her favourite machine is Shrek...donkey pinball gimmick and that stupid can in the middle of the field. Loves WOZ but mostly tries to get the house to spin around or the witch to come up.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
nics135 said:
Thanks. Was thinking closer to 5500 HUO and 6200 NIB. Not sure they have bottomed out price-wise yet. Pretty sure there is no line to get a NIB one. May wait a bit.

I think you are thinking US pricing because a NIB XMen LE when it first came out was around $7400-7800 all in (ask Drano, Vengeance or Chris Bardon). Vengeance barely broke even selling his HUO Magneto with under 500 plays I believe for $6500. NIB Sterns are much cheaper in the US and that is why in the past year you see so many people being able to dump theirs for $5000-6000 on pinside even tricked out too. I personally think XMen is a great game and if you are interested in an XM Pro or LE shoot me a PM and I can put you in touch with people who just might be selling theirs. I would bring your wife to SB showroom and play it to make sure you guys really like it.

nics135 said:
A different question could be for 6000 what is the best machine(s) to get for a casual female player that loves gimmicks? Her favourite machine is Shrek...donkey pinball gimmick and that stupid can in the middle of the field. Loves WOZ but mostly tries to get the house to spin around or the witch to come up.

If your wife likes Shrek why don't you send Beafraid (aka Mike) a PM, see this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1094

TwilightZone

Nov 25, 2012
Ottawa, ON
nics135 said:

I think your price of $5,500 HUO is about right if you wait and pick one up at a show. Assuming you stay over for a few nights you will get an $800 reduction on the taxable portion. HUO Xmen LE are selling for $5,000K in the US. After you add taxes and exchange you will be just above $5,500 assuming you stay for a few days and don't factor in gas, time, etc. Locally, I think $6K would be an asking price....what it sells for is then up to neg. Locally I could see $5,800 being a fair price for both parties.

To answer your second question, I had both IJ and ToM. Both were extremely popular with the ladies. I don't care for either game and they are long gone. I used to have parties and the ladies would be lined around these two games. Of the two, I think ToM is probably more up your alley. The magic trunk is really cool. The voice work, music and lights are outstanding. Sadly, it gets old in a home environment. Adam did a nice write up exposing the serious scoring flaw. As well, the wizard mode is a serious let down. I loved it on location, bought one and kept it for many years before finally selling it.

Good luck,
Duane

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
TwilightZone said:
To answer your second question, I had both IJ and ToM. Both were extremely popular with the ladies. I don't care for either game and they are long gone. I used to have parties and the ladies would be lined around these two games. Of the two, I think ToM is probably more up your alley. The magic trunk is really cool. The voice work, music and lights are outstanding. Sadly, it gets old in a home environment. Adam did a nice write up exposing the serious scoring flaw. As well, the wizard mode is a serious let down. I loved it on location, bought one and kept it for many years before finally selling it.

I'll agree with Duane and say TOM gets the most play when I have kids or non pinheads over at my place. What's funny is they will play it for the first time and make all their shots and then walk up to say Shadow and get their ass handed to them in under a minute. After that they will crawl to the back of the line on TOM :lol: Another game that has some cool gimmicks and just screams play me is Roadshow. A lot of people hate on it because of the redneck construction theme and country music but I think it totally suits the game. I was actually considering moving this out for a TAF if I ever came across one but played it last weekend and quickly changed my mind. For the price a Roadshow commands these days ~$2800-3200 depending on condition it is a lot of bang for buck! I swear if Stern or JJP made a Roadshow today it would easily be over $10k.

Some other games which are popular that I have owned in the past for kids, non pinhead and ladies are:

The Flintstones
World Cup Soccer 94
Ripley's Believe It or Not
Revenge from Mars
Cirqus Voltaire

I have a potential lead on a Flintstones if you are interested send me a PM ;)

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
I am guessing for the 6K I could get XMEN LS or both a Road Show and a Flintstones and maybe some money left over. I think WCS is under 3K or close to it. No idea what the TOM prices are. I think IJ are between 5-6K so about the same as an XMEN in this case.

IS Rocky and Bullwinkle fun?

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
nics135 said:
I think WCS is under 3K or close to it. No idea what the TOM prices are.

IS Rocky and Bullwinkle fun?

WCS is well under $3k and closer to $2-2.2k depending on condition. TOM have typically sold this year between $4500-4800 for decent examples (I've found 4 so far this year for people). I've never played a Rocky and Bullwinkle but heard it is fun from my friend karmatose who owned on for quite some time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zS2dkC9oyBg[/youtube]

The only things that bug me about DE games are they re-use sound bits and use them for all their games and their staples GI which means they are only accessible from the top side where as B/W games you can access from underneath by removing a screw to drop the bulb socket.

DRANO

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga
I have considered parting with my Wolverine over the last few months, but since the last code update I have found it to be an excellent game and a challenging player. The extra toys on the LE certainly add some additional chaos and it is a striking game.

I think the days of seeing $5000-$5500 fire sales on these are gone. Those buyers that got tired of waiting for Stern to step up with good code and were willing to take that sort of bath on this pin are likely gone. I can't imagine more than a dozen or so LE were even sold in the GTA. Anyone who is still holding one is likely in it for the long haul now. People are realizing that it's not a pin that's designed to make you feel good. It it punishing and the modes are excellent. The more I play it, the better it seems to get.

As it stands now, I don't see myself letting my XM LE game go for less than $6500 (especially with the extras I've added) and likely a bit more. Now, if someone were to offer a decent trade, that could be of interest ;)

Vengeance

Nov 14, 2012
Keswick, ON
The XMen LE is not worth the money at all

In Stern usual trend of adding things that do nothing, Xmen is another example of that.

I don't mind the game and I'd buy the pro, but the LE is nor worth the cash at all.

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
Thanks for all the info and advice, I think I have talked her into getting a Metallica Pro now.

Will find out next Saturday when we go to Starburst and she can spend some time trying the Metallica and play the Xmen beside it. Do not think I can lose either way at this point. Will be Metallica or an XMen LE (to her that spinning MAgneto disc is worth it).

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Just a warning, the flippers on the Metallics Pro at SB are pretty shitty and might sour your wife's experience. I would send my friend Elliot a PM as he has a Metallica Pro Refinery Edition and Xmen Pro at his house you can try.

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
Went to SB and tried XMEN LE, Metallica, and Star Trek. Star Trek is out.

Which do people think is the better game for casual player: Metallica Pro vs XMen LE?? and for more serious player? Does the choice change.

She is now unable to make a choice because the more she plays Metallica the more she is starting to like it. I think mostly cause on the surface there are more different things to do...bash sparky vs. bash wolverine (tie until sparky gets zapped and then metallica is funnier). Xmen spinning disc mulitball launch is better multi-ball starter(the spinning disc and magnet I think are the main reasons for XMen in her view) , ramp shots she thinks are similar although the spelling of metallica seemed more appealing than the character based ones. liked the graveyard idea, nothing similar on XMen, liked the Fuel idea but never really got anywhere with it. Did not like the stupid post blocking the loop shot. Annoyed that the music in Metallica is not part of game play like AC/DC (at least I do not think it is).

Sadly in the truck on the way home I heard Champion Pub come up again.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
Williams Fan said:
Why sad...it is a fun game.

Not only is Williams Fan the founder of the elusive Champion Pub Club but he is a client too :lol:

I'm glad you grabbed that one I found you earlier this year on your way back from PATZ. Is it setup or still folded? :FP:

nics135

Nov 15, 2012
Janetville,ON
It is sad cause it means she still wants one. I am not convinced it is that good of a game to keep a long time. I believe the only reason she wants it is the skipping gimmick. She has only ever played a couple of times at the Pacific Pinball Museum and not clear she will play it long term.

I am also sad cause these games seem overpriced to me. All that said I am looking for one and if I get one I will start the Champion Pub members only thread. I was thinking of starting a BBH Pro members only thread but likely to be lonely.

I am going with the Metallica Pro and will pick one up next week.

Chris Bardon

Nov 15, 2012
Mississauga, ON
Which do people think is the better game for casual player: Metallica Pro vs XMen LE?? and for more serious player? Does the choice change.

I haven't played a lot of Metallica, but I think how much you like that game is really going to depend on how much you like Metallica. For some reason I can see getting sick of the music in a game like that much sooner than with a regular game-not sure why.

I'm probably biased since I own an X-Men LE, but I think it's a great game. Playing it more recently and I'm realizing just how well the shots flow on it, without a huge amount of stuff to stop the ball. You can shoot something like iceman to xavier to cyclops to storm to phoenix with only a really brief pause in the action for the VUK. The magnets also throw the ball around a lot, so it can be tricky to keep under control if you're not really careful. There's also a lot of shots in a small space.