• We have upgaded to the latest version of XenForum and the process finished without any errors!!!! Enjoy the new forum!

Digital multimeter -which one to buy

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
Ok I am trying to test transistors with my el-cheapo DMM and do not get the expected results.

So I have decided to invest in a new one. Assuming I have a budget of $250 which model fluke would best suit my needs for general home use and pinball repair. The model 116 & 117 seem decent but to my inexperienced eye it appears that the 116 would be better for board work?

Where is the best place to buy. It appears they are significantly cheaper in the USA.

Thanks everyone. Cheers.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
I was thinking of doing a small group buy from MCM for the Fluke 117. Too bad our dollar sucks right now :(

Monkeybug

Nov 14, 2012
Stouffville, ON
I picked up an older Fluke 110 that was being discontinued (for the 115). It has done everything that I have ever required. Some people say the cheapo DMM's work but I went through many of them and gave up in frustration with inaccurate readings.

Unless you are getting into some ultra serious troubleshooting, I think any fluke would work. Look around for deals and discontinued models. I can't remember where I got mine.

Also as an aside, when I bought the fluke, it was not 100% so I sent it to Fluke in Ontario and they recalibrated it and it has been solid ever since. I was happy with their customer service.

Grauwulf

Nov 14, 2012
Guelph, Ont
I had a Fluke 75 (long discontinued, I had it for 20 years), I *think* the 117 is the current replacement for that model.

mwong168

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 14, 2012
Toronto
105-660.jpg

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/105-660

Unfortunately the price of the Fluke 117 ($179.95usd) might be a bit steep for some but the way I look at it you will never have to buy another one ever again. I think the only thing we stand to save here is the shipping. Perhaps if someone is driving or going to the US for more then 72 hours we could have this shipped to an American friend and brought back to us tax free if total order is under $800.

I might stop by the Sayal down the road from my work here in Vaughan and see if they can give a better price on 5 or more units.

tom_454

Nov 28, 2012
Ottawa
ok, no longer looking as I got a great deal on Kijiji. Figured I would do a quick search and low and behold one was posted 15 minutes earlier and I jumped on it. Got a Fluke 179 for $100 delivered to my door. It was used only a few times. Looks NIB exccept for 1 dirty finger print. Judging by what research I did, this is certainly more than I will probably ever need but I am looking forward to learning over the next few decades.

I never get deals on pins so I am excited. :)